Staff Techniques

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Alexander, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I love working with weapons, we don't do much in the last year though for some reason.

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Only about four months now.

Also forgot to mention another category above:

Grappling - I guess is what you call it. In the transition from white to yellow tag people must learn seven aggressive takedowns and sixteen self defence moves. At later belts takedowns against punches and kicks are taught as well as throws.

3. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Durham?

4. Alexander

Kosh,

Bingo! The really annoying thing (which defies the point of me starting this thread) is that over Christmas I forgot to bring my Staff back up from the south!!!! :cry:

Well... See you on Thursday I guess? :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  5. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Nah. I might come through to Durham on the odd weekend. I train at Sunderland. We are preparing for the competition so i might attend the Durham class saturday more often.

I have been to Durham a couple of times recently, i went there two weeks ago. Where you there?

I snapped my stick...

6. swampthing500

swampthing500 New Member

Not Bo

hapkido is korean- so its NOT! a Bo (thats japanese) its a bong / jang bong

that is all..

7. Alexander

Or Okinawan... or Chinese etc...

It's a Korean art undisputably. But it probably takes another country's systems and incorporates them into it's own. I think (if the Jang Bong is not Korean descent) then it probably comes from China as the style I am taught is more like Kung Fu than Kobudo.

8. teacher

teacher Valued Member

If you are interested in staff Alexander you might want to take a browse through the western forum. A lot of the people there hit people with big sticks. Also some of us FMA people like big sticks. I've sparred with staff a couple of times. :eek: Very scary. Even with a big helmet on taking a staff hit to the head rocks your world.

9. Alexander

Thanks!