Squatting People

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cownose, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I'm not going to have access to a squat rack for a little while now, so I've been experimenting with squatting while having one or two people clinging to my back (like a piggyback ride). It feels ok...I think it makes me lean forward more, but it seems to take some pressure off my lower back (which is sort of injured right now). So what do the professionals think? Is it good enough to replace the barbell for now?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

it could be a decent replacement, but it's hard to get enough loading and you may find it hard to get the full range of motion. You could also do some bodyweight exercises- take the pistols and 'sissy squats' (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise2/sissy_squats.htm) for example.

3. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

What happens when you can easily lift one person though? Put on another 150 pound 'dumbbell'? :D

4. LI GUY

LI GUY New Member

I have heard of and plan to try using two sawhorses as squat racks. That and a spotter should be good and much cheaper.

5. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

Do some one legged squats.

6. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Yup, but I'm not sure what you would do after 2 people are too light...I'm certainly not at that point, but I think when I am I'll probably just have both people hold weights while they try to stay planted on my back :p

LI GUY - What are sawhorses?

And Wesker, I would do one-legged squats, but my right leg can do more than twice as many as my left. That and they make my knees hurt sometimes...I'm guessing I'm doing them wrong, but there isn't really anyone around who would be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

7. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

It sounds like you've got quite a big imbalance, in that case i'd definitely suggest doing one-legged squat. Or if that's to buggery on your knees, try one legged half squats, lunges or other free-weight exercise that you can do with just one leg.

8. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

The mechanics to do proper one-legged squats differ slightly from those of the regular kind for obvious reasons. Try self-spotting yourself with somehing you can hang on like a fixed vertical bar or a rope.

9. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

You can do hack squats instead of regular squats. Anybody have a good link to that?

10. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

http://www.frankzane.com/EQUIPMENT.htm

Frank zane does a variation of the squat rack and with a little imagination...you can come up with something.
    I do the same motion standing in a doorway. Instead of going full range all the time,try keeping constant tension up and down for 20 seconds to start with.......done right....BUUURRN!!!!

11. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I know what hack squats are, but I never bothered with them because I heard they're hard on your knees.

That leg blaster thing looks kind of interesting, but I'm afraid it would just help widen the gap between my upper and lower body :p That and it's way out of my price range...it would be cool if I could make my own rack, but I don't really have any money or know what materials to use or anything.

12. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Have you considered front squats. Just clean the bar from the floor, get a secure grip at neck height, and squat.

13. Damien Alexander

a suggestion....
    examine the picture the leg blaster puts you into.You drop your butt back,shins stay verical as much as possible and you thighs as horizontal as possible.Stress the quads and glutes!
    I find whatever I can grab hold of for support and I use a backpack with weight of some kind.Sand is damn good! to save a little grief on the lower back,put the backpack on your chest.Thats a variation of the front squat.Changes weight distribution on the legs and hips.Or switch them around from time to time.
    Don't go any lower than thighs horizontal to the floor if you can help it.Anymore than that,you put too much stress on the hip joints.....baaaad thing!
    Squats are perhaps the most complete exercise out there for size and mass.I wouldn't worry a whole lot on gap between the upper and lower parts of the body.Don't ignore the top half though! You can adjust the weight as you need to just to keep things even.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  14. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Almost a BB question here but meh, what kind of results do you guys get with squats, do you think it improves your whole workout's results? ie. upper body as well? I seem to be faultering with improvements and I'm thinking of getting a squat rack for my home gym thingy

15. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

My leg and back strength improved significantly. Also, I find myself less fatigued when I do other exercises.

16. Damien Alexander

Go for it!

The squat is the single most effective excersise for building overall mass.
    Don't take thats "bulking up"....
    that depends on how far you want to take it.
    But, it is still a great overall excersise.
    It uses glutes,hamstrings and quads for the upper thigh,calf muscles to help maintain balance.
    Obliques and abs for upper body stability.
    Intercostals,delts,traps to maintain the weight on your shoulders and even taps the pecs,biceps and traps a bit just to hold the weight in place.

A good sourse for more detailed info:
    www.flexonline.com.
    They have forum section and everyother section you can find on muscle development.
    you can sign on for free.

17. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

You've sold me Bamm :D

18. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

I also understand doing big compound exercises like squats increases the levels of testosterone or something, which helps in overall muscle growth... of the whole body!