Sprint whilst holding your Breath?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Verx, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

<MODs, the following maybe be the most retarded question in the history of MAP. If so, please move this to "What not to do...">

So me and my friend were talking about this guy who runs like a machine. I've never seen him break a sweat before. In fact in one race he stopped and started talking to a mate, let everyone lap him and then won the race. So my friend then tells me "It's because he holds his breath whilst sprinting so that's why it's so easy for him." Or something along the lines of that.

My question to you guys is, is this true? Does holding your breath=better sprinting?

2. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

ive never heard that, i would think i would run worse if i was holding my breat mucles need oxygen to work properly, atleast thats what ive always thought

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Ive read that keeping your shoulders back and your belly button pushed out helps keep a neutral spine. This makes it hard to breath you would just have to take in a little bit of air if you needed for longer distances I heard that there is abest way to breath in time with your strides.

4. Verx

Oooh, we now have a debate. :p

Great info, thanks. :)

5. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

perhaps training whilst depriving the body of oxygen could hammer the anaerobic systems very quickly and could possibly get the body used to working without oxygen.. but.. It's also probably not very good for the body either.. Besides! You could get the same effect by just sprinting! I'd be afraid to pass out and grate my face on the track! :eek:

6. Verx

Most people start breathing after they turn blue... :p

7. DaveSlater

DaveSlater Valued Member

i was told years back that top class 100m sprinters held their breath

10s isn't exactly a long time so i figured it was feasible but i've never had it confirmed

8. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

I've done some reading on the subject from a book by Stew Smith. He's a really great military personnel trainer and the book I got is supposed to help prepare people for Navy SEAL BUDs workouts. Some of the training material in the book had hypoxic swimming intervals. Hypoxic means with out oxygen. In the book it suggest doing 3 swimming stokes with your breath held but then you breathe on the fourth stroke and gradually work your way up to 5 strokes while breathing on the 6th. I suppose you could take 3 running strides and breathe on the fourth stride or something similar.. I wouldn't do hypoxic swimming or running on my own though.. Be careful Verx! :D

If you wanna buy his books go to www.stewsmith.com

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

My Muay Thai instructor(Thai national) told me to hold my breath and punch the bag or shadow box as hard and as fast as possible for 30 seconds,i tried it,i found it extremely hard, didnt like it so gave up before i found any lasting benifits to my fitness :)

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Top-level sprinters do actually hold their breath for a large portion of the race. It's because they tense up and increase their intra-abdominal pressure to maximise power output and as it's only a 10 second race, it's an-aerobic anyway.

11. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

bingo! thats just what I thought, but didnt want to post because I was not sure hahaha.

12. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Ok, but what does that mean for us non-olympic folks that sprint?

To breathe or not to breathe, that is the question...

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

If it's a sprint race or I want to work on speed I try to keep the core braced hard and breathe quite shallow because that way you are increasing power but are still getting some gas exchange. This might not be as useful in something like football where you have to sprint then slow down and change direction etc. because you may be more out of breath than if you were deep breathing. Although it is mainly anaerobic, the aerobic system is still involved, especially if it is over 10 seconds.

14. Verx

Chi? :confused: :D

In layman terms, please. Thank you. :)

15. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

this is kinda like occlusion training. i just read about it the other day and basically, you cut the bloodflow before doing exercises. here's a link just for prophet, and prophet, you might find this interesting...

and here is the link...
    http://www.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/75/116/

click it, click the find button on the browser and search for occlusion.

A New Era of Metabolic Stress Training: Occlusion Training

When resistance-training protocols of equal volume yet different training intensities are performed, the higher intensity protocol, which produces higher lactate levels, results in the greatest GH secretion. Earlier, it was mentioned that muscular hypertrophy and strength gains following a resistance-training program are thought to be due to an intensity level of 65 percent of a 1 RM to achieve an effect.2 Well, this is true for traditional weight training routines, but a new type of training called occlusion training has yielded increases in muscle mass and strength with training intensity as low as 20 percent of a 1 RM.44

Occlusion training or blocking blood flow may revolutionize bodybuilding training with huge increases in strength and size, although the exact mechanisms of how occlusion training increases muscle mass‑‑ an increase in metabolic by-products‑‑ may only be a partial answer. It has been reported that five sets of leg extensions with 30-second rest periods performed at 20 percent of a 1 RM with vascular occlusion resulted in a 290 percent increase in GH above baseline. The increased lactate resulting from tissue metabolic stress elevated GH significantly, although training volume was low.45

Let's examine the endocrine responses of occlusion training to regular resistance training. A recent study in the Journal of Applied Physiology compared light-resistance exercise with partial occlusion to a moderate-resistance exercise protocol with no occlusion, and finally occlusion alone. Three sets of single-arm biceps curls and single-leg calf presses were completed to failure with one-minute rest periods between sets. Workloads for light-resistance exercise with occlusion were performed at 30 percent of a 1 RM, while at 70 percent 1 RM for moderate-resistance exercise. Lactate increased significantly in the light resistance exercise with occlusion and moderate-resistance exercise trials and wasn't significantly different from each other at any point. GH increased significantly by four-fold from pre- to post-exercise in the light-resistance exercise with the occlusion session, but didn't change significantly during this time period in the moderate-resistance exercise and occlusion alone. It was interesting that occlusion alone- without any voluntary muscular activity- tended to cause a rise in GH to a similar extent as that of the moderate-resistance exercise protocol.46

in english, it basically says GH(growth hormone levels) were increased 400% from before the exercise to after the exercise w/ light weight by cutting the bloodflow and doing light resistance training, whereas cutting the bloodflow and not doing any exercise raised the GH levels to similar levels as moderate resistance training w/o affecting it. i find this interesting.

and on a side note, bodybuilders have been doing a similar method for years before shows where they'd hold their feet up and cut the bloodflow to their legs and then when they put their legs back down, blood would flood the muscles increasing vascularity

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  16. Fighter4Higher

Fighter4Higher Dark man of the unknown

Your body can sprint a 40 meter or even 100 meter without breathing the need for air comes in as you run further than I'd say past 150 meters.

17. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

They tense their muscles by not breathing so that they can explode faster.

I think.

18. Ashiro

Ashiro Doko wa neko desu ka

I breathe the blood of virgins before I do battle. :love:

19. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

a ran the 100m, 200m and 400m in college

during the sprints the coach said that you should be taking your first breath right around the 70m mark.....after that ist prettymumuch normal breathing.

personally it always felt a little strange to me ....i ussally took my first breath at about 40 m or so.

as far as you buddy...no way...if the race is long enough for himto stop, talk and get lapped and still win.....its gotta be a long race

it would also suggest that. a he is a cocky jerk.....is that conversation so important that it cant wait until after a race?

and be the guys he ran against were pitiful runners.

i know at college level sprint a stumble out the blocks pretty much dooms you

20. chirsty7386

chirsty7386 New Member

nice and very useful discussion thanx for sharing information
    -----------------
    endocrine system