Sprained Wrist

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cownose, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I'm pretty sure that I just sprained my wrist, happened about 20 minutes ago. I can't see the physical therapist until tomorrow morning, but I can't get there before juries (drumming) and I'm not sure it would help much anyway. I can't postpone juries, unfortunately, so I need any advice you all have on what I can do right now to help make it a little better so that hopefully I won't fail tomorrow...as for the wrist, it has already started swelling. It doesn't feel like it's broken, but it did make a cracking noise when it happened and it looks a bit crooked. I'm about to find a way to ice it, but beyond that, I'm not sure what I can do...ideas?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The treatment of a sprained wrist, as for any sprain, is immediate immobilization, rest, and ice.

All but the most minor wrist sprains should be x-rayed because a sprained ligament may pull off a little piece of bone, which changes the injury to a fracture. A sprained wrist may not need anything more than a soft splint. A fractured wrist, however, requires casting. So go to a doctor tomorrow!