sport karate

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DAWAS, Aug 11, 2001.

1. DAWAS

DAWAS Valued Member

:confused: hello i am a 1st kyu in wado ryu freestyle karate and have been in alot of so called open minded e-mail groups where i have been given alot a flack about sport karate not being real wado ryu karate and me having my head well up my own backside.is there anybody in this forum into freestyle martial arts or if you just have a open mind then get back to me for a chat thanks>>>

2. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Hey Dawas,

Welcome to the boards.

I'm not going to get into a debate about sport karate and traditional karate as it is a no win situation, everyone has there own preferances and there is no right and wrong in the debate.

I myself studied Lau Gar Kung Fu for many years and fought in many freestyle semi-contact events and loved everyone of them as you get to meet a lot of people. I am going to be covering semi-contact techniques in the magazine so keep reading and if you have any comments or tips of your own send them in.

So keep posting Dawas your views will always be welcome on this board.

Cooler

3. DAWAS

DAWAS Valued Member

:) hi cooler thanks for replying i am so glad to find someone at last who has a open mind to the arts.i think the arts have something for everyone you just have to shop around to find it. i have tryd quite a few styles like kickboxing & tae kwon do and lots of styles of karate and found that freestyle works best for me i dont put my style obove the rest what works best for me might not b the best for the next person.i would like to know more about lau gar as there is not much of it round here

4. Dan Latham

Dan Latham New Member

Hi Dawas

What do you like about freestyle karate? I tried it for a little while but I just don't care for competition.

Dan

5. Cooler

Hey Dan,

Welcome to the boards.

Cooler.

6. Cooler

Hey Dawas,

To answer your question Lau Gar is a style of Kung Fu, it has it's traditional side and its sport side and they are both treated as different elements of the same style. You can either concentrate on the traditional side and have nothing to do with the sport side of things or you can partake in both. The sport side covers both semi-contact and continuous competition. The Lau Gar also has a kickboxing style in which you don't learn traditional Kung Fu but you just learn the art of kickboxing.

Cooler.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I personally don't like Karate, but that's more that it doesn't suit me than that I think there's anything wrong with the style. I've got a pretty open mind, although admittedly I usually try and promote my own arts advantages, but I can generally help out with quite a few other arts and their techniques. I've tried several, and just found the one that suited me best and stuck with it.

8. waya

waya Valued Member

I can see Sport Karate doing some good with training. I guess it all depends on you reason for being in the arts and what you want out of it.

9. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Correct me if im wrong but i think of sport karate like kickboxing. I like to just get in the ring once in a while and just have a good match with out worrie of forms and traditional things. (then my tradition side kicks in and i do katas soon after*LOL*) We all like different things thats why you are you and i am i.