Sport Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Shotowarrior, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Kyu

Kyu New Member

Thats the way we are tought at my Dojo

Dang it

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Nope, if it is controlled situation or not, the defender should have blocked it. In sanbon-gumite, we focus on range, techniques and focus. Techniques include blocking the attackers technique, which should be done to hit.

3. Stoutly Rooted

Stoutly Rooted New Member

Close Eyes and Slap Randomly

Out of all the parts of Shotokan ("kehon", kumite, and kata), I feel that I struggle the most with kumite. For instance, when I start, I try to anticipate the opponents first move (sen-sen-no-sen, "predict and strike before he can move"), but when I am attacked, I freeze and just,...allow myself to lose. How can I develop my techniques to do more than jab at the face with my eyes closed? :bang:

4. Kyu

Kyu New Member

We needa practice more SR...lol and you are doing better....but you just cannot be afrade to take a hit..sometimes you back off and stuff..welcome the hits you ill lern forom them...i think

5. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Why is that? They mean nothing. It's a fighting art, not a dance.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

:bang:

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

NEVER get clothes that have blood on them drycleaned. Dry cleaning bakes on blood, making it permenant.

See, Im not just a pretty face. :D

8. shotokanwarrior

Holyhead, please just listen to this point. Not being able to do kata does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that you cannot do karate because kata is nothing more than a display. I know a girl my age who is a very good fighter and who has won competitions before. She is however so useless at forms she seems to have decided to make it part of her identity. What are you going to tell someone like her - that she cannot do the art because she cannot perform some dancelike formation? Open your eyes.

9. holyheadjch

I see your point, but I dont see how citing someone who has seemingly given up on kata because she isn't good at it can be used as an example of a good karateka.

10. shotokanwarrior

Well, she actually does TKD, but my point was that kata is no indication of a good karateka.

This is just my own personal opinion so don't bother refuting it, it's not meant to be a logical argument and it's purely subjective: I think that the honest reason why katas hold so much sway is that they're popular with people too scared to fight. While poor deprived adrenaline junkies like me never get to actually fight. It's not fair.

God damn democracy. (Just messing).

11. shotokanwarrior

By the way, you just quoted the wrong person.

12. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Everybody does the turn your head and close your eyes punch at one point when they're learning to spar. It's nothing serious, don't anticipate or assume in sparring or ippon kumite, other than that just go to sparring class regularly and it'll fix itself. Try asking your sparring partner to slow down or ask them to keep coming at you with light attacks until your reaction is block and counter, then work your offensive, and gradually up the intensity.

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Why not just attack first??? I dont' know about Shotokon, but the way we do it is explode right off the bat.

14. holyheadjch

?

15. shotokanwarrior

Holyheadjch:

I didn't say that.

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Shotokanwarrior - we know, thats why it says " Originally Posted by Masatoshi Nakayama Sensei" ie quoting somebody else, possibly a book or another external source ;)

17. holyheadjch

phew, I thought I was going crazy

18. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Well everybody's different, but in most cases (here anyway) when there's a new student at sparring class they come naturally to striking (with their hands at least), but they have no guard or sense of using their hands to defend themselves. That's why I feel it's more important for them to learn how to defend themselves and use proper guard, stance, movement etc first off, then get into the offensive part which most of them enjoy a bit more. Being purely offensive and agressive works for many people, but I think it's also important that a person knows how to block and counter (i.e. in a case where the other fighter is also very offensive). Once they know how to block, counter, and attack, they can do 'em in whatever order they want (kinda), to see what works for them, or what kind of fighter they prefer being.