*SPOILERS* UFC64-unstoppable 10/14

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by littlebiggie, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Sever

Sever Valued Member

It's aired everywhere and I've retitled the thread, we can kill the tags :)

2. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I don't know how long Sherk will be champ, but i am willing to bet Kenny will never be champ unless he drastically improves.

I see Franca, Yves Edwards,Josh Thomson and Joe Stevenson are all ahead of him in that division in the UFC...Honestly unless he improves drastically I don't se ehim getting a title shot again, much less winning.

BTW, what was with his intro? I heard he came out like a samurai or something.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yeah his intro was pretty weird, but I think you are being a little harsh on his ability.

Everyone was saying "Sherk by decapitation" before the fight (me included I might add), but I thought he showed a lot of potential and guts. I see him being a player in the division. Although Sherk never looked in danger, he did not annihilate Kenny. Good fight anyway (despite what the drunken teenagers in the bar I was at thought).

I just wish I had put money on Silva, because I had been predicting that result for a week!

4. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

I thought there were some great fights this UFC, Lauzon vs fisher was good although Lauzon seemed to give up after taking a few shots, fitch vs Hironaka was a bad beating, fitch impressed me alot, kongo vs marrero was a crap fight, little work done by either fighters and kongo showed an average ground and a reasonable wrestling game, he did have some nasty leg kicks though, Sherk vs Florian was a good fight, anyone who doubts kenflo after that is a fool, he landed a hell of alot of body kicks and a few headkicks, he was just to scared of sherks big left hook to strike at any closer a range, he has some beautifull elbows aswell, sherks just to strong and dominant for kenny to stop being taken down or get up but i feel his ground defence was superb, give kenflo 3 or more years and he'll be a contender, cant wait for a Penn vs Sherk fight, im gunna love to see Sherks reaction when he cant take BJ down, anyhow begrudgingly i move on to the final fight, Rich was clearly not on form and they were both very tense at the start knowing the other could put them down, then Rich got thrown like a ragdoll into the fence in the muay thai clinch and was beaten, hard, he took a hell of alot of hard hard knees to the body and then once he got rocked, it was over, i truly believe that was not rich at his best after the layoff and as he said himself he'll be back in a few fights, very dissapointed to see him lose as he's truly one of my idols, anyway cant wait for the match ups this leaves for the future, Franklin vs Swick, Franklin vs Leben, Franklin vs Louisea, im sure he'll be fighting (and beating) one of those, does this mean silva is gunna be fighting the ultimate fighter winner? i guess so, cant wait for the next few UFC events there gunna be great, get back on that path to the title Rich

5. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I don't mean to be, but I honestly do not think he is in the top 5 in his division in the UFC.

I think both Sherk and Stevenson specifically beat him 9/10 times.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  6. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Lauzon appeared to have a BRIGHT future in MMA...for an 18 yr old fighting a veteran UFC fighter and MFS's elite, he was absolutely incredible. With some more experience he should be awesome. Not to mention he was up for the fight on TWO weeks notice...Dana White's gotta absolutely LOVE this guy.

Florian was definitely "in" that fight...he definitely managed to survive, and was also never hurt too badly...he stayed pretty aggressive, tough as hell. He mainly had trouble dealing with Sherk's GnP throughout.

Not gonna go into the Franklin Silva fight...that one was so damn short it's pretty obvious what was going on.

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

about time someone(silva)showed how good muay thai clinching is,i cant understand why most fighters go for upper body clinches and fight the big part of the opponents back with their arms when the neck is so accesible (if you understand the muay thai liam movement in the clinch) tire the neck out and eventually the head will fall usually right onto a knee strike :)

8. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I was actually very impressed with Florian's performance, considering that I thought Sherk would TKO Florian within the 1st Round. Florian went the distance with Sherk, and that is no easy task. He was always in the fight, and stayed composed throughout it, despite swallowing a crapload of blood (would that be considered karma?). I actually enjoyed the fight, even if it was one-sided.

Other thoughts:

I'm surprised the James/Guida fight didn't get fight of the night, because it was such a fast paced scrap.

Those Lauzon boys are a tough pair. Dan Lauzon with better cardio is a real threat. And he's only 18!

Silva/Franklin. What can I say? Didn't expect it to go down like that. Franklin had that deer in the headlights look on his face as he was struggling in Silva's clinch. I don't think anyone in the UFC's 185 division can take Silva. Maybe Franklin w/ a better gameplan. Unless the UFC re-signs Lindland or Henderson or maybe Bustamante(the latter two being very unlikely), I think Silva will wear that belt for a long time to come.

Overall, I was pretty satisfied with this event. I dont feel too much shame for spending the 40 bucks. I feel even less shame since it was on someone else's dime.

9. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

From what I hear he only had a 2 week notice which is a pretty good excuse for a lack of cardio.

10. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

Lauzon did ok, he took down someone who admits themself to be a terrible wrestler but couldnt keep him down and got knocked out when they stood, his stand up was weak and as far as i know from what i saw his wrestling is ok, we'll just have to wait and see how he develops

11. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I think Lauzon did a pretty good job of holding Fitch down for most of the round. In fact, I was giving that round to Lauzon up until he gassed and got TKO'd. I mean, for a young kid to be competitive with one of MFS' elite fighters is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

12. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

There is little achievement in holding a terrible wrestler down for part of a round if he gets up and knocks you out with ease, he did what any average wrestler could have done which was take him down and hold him down for a while, he did ok but he does not deserve the ass licking he is getting

13. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

He did good enough that people are calling it the fight of the night(Sherdog, mmaweekly etc..)...

14. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Dude, part of a round? How about most of the round? And it wasn't like Dan was pulling lay and pray, he had an active ground game, working to pass, with some decent GnP. Spencer Fisher may not be great at stopping takedowns, but he is no joke on the ground. Take a look at his record. 7 of his 19 wins came via submission. As Apotheosis pointed out, there's a reason why this fight has been voted fight of the night.

15. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

I dont think it was fight of the night at all, anyhow i think your right im not giving him enough credit, im probably just jealous cos at 18 (1 year older than me) he's achieved something that its my dream to do, i guess only time will tell how good a fighter he is and will be.