*SPOILERS* UFC64-unstoppable 10/14

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by littlebiggie, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

He would dominate, he's so much better than he's ever been before, and he does deserve it because he's so brilliantly well rounded with the best takedown defence ive ever seen (or at least level with chuck) and he fights hard an in an entertaining way, sherk and penn would be a great fight, but sherk wouldnt be able to take him down and even if he did he's not gunna pass his guard and will probably be submitted

2. littlebiggie

littlebiggie New Member

Florian is good,no doubt about it.But in this fight i think Sean Sherk will be my man. :love:

3. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Sherks wrestling is better then Penn's, but Penn's JJ and striking is better. It'd be interesting to see. You don't try to pass full guard in MMA so what's the difference if he can hold Sherk in closed?

4. littlebiggie

littlebiggie New Member

Sherk is gonna dominate Florian. Sherk is the fourth ranked welterweight in the world, and that's the toughest division the UFC has. He has enough Jiu-Jitsu knowledge to get out of any submissions, and even if he didn't he'd have the strength to power out of them anyway. His wrestling is gonna put him on top the whole match and he'll pound out a unanimous.

5. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I disagree, I will be surprised if Kenny makes it to a decision.

6. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

Of course you try to pass full guard in mma, havent you heard of half guard, side control or the mount, almost all fighters try and pass the guard, didnt you see rashard evans fight the other day, he destroyed his opponent in the mount, just cos tito tends not to pass the guard doesnt mean no one does

7. Agutrot-

You don't work active passes. If the pass is there they'll take it, but when is the last time you saw someone stand up, push down a leg to open guard and pass through to cross body?

8. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Last event...

It is not very obvious since they have to be careful not to get hit with a strike plus all the top fighters have a good knowledge of it so they are working to prevent the other fighte from passing their guard.

People good on the ground are always actively trying to pass guard.

9. Agutrot-

No, they're trying not get swept. A majority of fighters at the UFC level are content staying in guard pounding out a decision.

10. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

The lower level fighters...

The only good fighters I have seen that don't attempt to pass guard are Tito and Fedor and that is because they have a unique ability to dominate from full guard.

11. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

This happens frequently, fighters will push away the left leg and lunge down with a haymaker right, most of the time the grounded fighter manages to maintain guard though, if your watching the ultimate fighter 4 im sure you will have seen matt serra mount pete spratt, before hand big john was telling him to work, matt serra said "im working, im working" and judging by the fact he was throwing very few punches and the fact that he soon after got the mount i have to presume he was working to pass his guard, thus illistrating my point, bare in mind alot of UFC guys are very skilled BJJ fighters, so they are always looking to advance there position while giving a beating

12. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Middleweight Championship bout: Rich Franklin vs. Anderson Silva
    Lightweight Championship bout: Sean Sherk vs. Kenny Florian
    Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka
    Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Carmelo Marrero
    Lightweight bout: Spencer Fisher vs. Dan Lauzon
    Light Heavyweight bout: Keith Jardine vs. Mike Nickels
    Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Kalib Starnes
    Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs. Justin James
    Lightweight bout: Kurt Pellegrino vs. Junior Assuncao

My picks:

Silva KO Franklin Round 2
    Sherk eats Florian alive and wins via KO or TKO, if Florian wins via cut....
    Jon Fitch wins via decision or TKO
    Cheick wins via KO
    Dan Lauzon wins, I am rooting for him due to his age and because Spencer acted like a ***** at the weigh-ins.
    Jardine wins via KO round 1
    Kalib wins via TKO or submission
    Justin James wins via decision
    Junior wins via KO

13. stump

stump Supersub

Here's mine....some really hard to call fights in this batch...

Kurt Pellegrino Vs. Junior Assuncao: Pelligrino Decision
    Justin James Vs. Clay Guida: Guida TKO
    Yushin Okami Vs. Kalib Starnes: Okami Decision
    Keith Jardine Vs. Mike Nickels: Jardine - TKO
    Spencer Fisher Vs. Dan Lauzon: Fisher - KO
    Cheick Kongo Vs. Carmelo Marrero: Kongo - KO
    Jon Fitch Vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka: Another close one….Fitch Submission
    Sean Sherk Vs. Kenny Florian: Sherk Decision

Rich Franklin Vs. Anderson Silva: very tough one to call with Silva being a brilliant striker and Franklin having such a long lay off….will go with Franklin but it really could go either way

14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The Nickels/ Jardine fight's off due to Nickels getting a late back injury (after weighing in; read into that what you will)
    Source: UFC website
    More at MMAWeekly
    Now everybody pretend they care :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  15. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I admit I am a little upset, would have loved to see Jardine KO Nickels which he would have done in 1 round judging from Nickels great striking skills shown against Hamill.

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Results:

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]Kurt Pellegrino defeated “Junior” Assuncao by rear naked choke in round 1
    Clay Guida defeated Justin James by rear naked choke in round 2
    Yushin Okami defeated Kalib Starnes by ref stoppage in round 3
    Spencer Fisher defeated Dan Lauzon by TKO in round 1 (no gorgeous flying knee this time, sadly)
    Carmelo Marrero defeated Cheick Kongo by split decision
    Jon Fitch defeated Kuniyoshi Hironaka by unanimous decision
    Sean Sherk defeated Kenny Florian by unanimous decision to become the UFC Lightweight Champion - not a bad fight but it really should've been stood up more
    Anderson Silva defeated Rich Franklin by TKO in round one, becoming the new UFC Middleweight Champion - Silva controlled the fight beautifully, never letting Franklin put any combos together and keeping the distance how he wanted it. Once he got the clinch, it was all over. The odds on Silva weren't as long as I was hoping, but I still made a bit of money from him :D [/EXPAND]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  17. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]Only fight I have seen was Silva vs Franklin and wow was that beautifully done. Silva is an awesome striker, showed a great clinch(seriously how did he keep the much bigger Franklin inside the clinch?).
    Franklin's nose will never be the same again, very well done by Silva.

So will Hughes step up and fight Silva?

Good to see Sherk won, almost cried when I heard via play-by-play that he had been cut. I cannot stand another fight being "won" by Florian because of a cut. Would have preferred it if Sherk had been able to finish Kenny but I guess I cannot get everything.

Was the Lauzon vs Fisher fight really the fight of the night as Sherdog claimed? If so, a huge congratulations to the 18 year old Lauzon for stepping into the Octagon with Fisher and giving him a good fight.[/EXPAND]

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

[EXPAND="spoilers"]Basically, the Thai clinch isn't really as much about strength as it is technique and Silva's got 22 years of MT behind him; very few people are going to break his clinch, though I think Franklin maybe made a mistake trying to dirty box with him in it rather than spending more time trying to break it. Like I said before the fight, it was a tough matchup for him at the best of times, let alone after a seven month layoff rehabbing a broken hand, broken foot and yanked tendons but Silva looked awesome
    The Lauzon/ Fisher fight was pretty good, probably fight of the night apart from Silva/ Franklin, but that's not really saying much. There were some really bad fights including the disappointing Florian/ Sherk and the abomination that was Kongo/ Marrero[/EXPAND]

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoiler"]Thanks for the details Sever, the most shocking thing about the fight was his decision making. He didn't try to impose his style on Silva, he was willing to fight and follow Silva's lead.[/EXPAND]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  20. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

[EXPAND="well"]I was so sad to see Rich lose as I'm a big fan of his but I think he can comeback to win his title but will need a different strategy. I'm a Thaiboxer and it was good to see a clinch being worked so well and showing Thaiboxing can be deadly in mma.

Florian vs Sherk was a good fight and Kenny is very tough and could be a Champion in the future imo if he works at it[/EXPAND]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006