Splits within a year??

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by binski20, Mar 27, 2003.

1. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Was just curious if anyone knew if this was possible. I am far lacking in flexibility and was going to set a goal of one year to do the splits. Is this too unrealistic? I am currently stretching at morning and night following my workout. I do basic stretches in these sessions. I am also doing some yoga.

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

First of all I will say that achieving the splits is fine as a goal as long as you know exactely what you are doing.

Achieving the splits will certainly ensure you can get your legs in that postion on the ground but does not mean this flexibility will translate into better/ higher kicks

I'd say it is possible in a year (assuming no previous injury or current restrictions) using a combination of the right exercises

Exercises like PNF, isometrics and a goob balance of dynamic streching all help.

The main thing however is warming up and dedication!! Streching is a long slow laborious process and increasing your flexbility should not be restricted to your legs only.

Don't forget the rest of your body.

IMHO Thomas Kurz's work is the best (I've found) for giving a great understanding of how your muscles work and the different kinds of flexibility out there.

Happy Stretching ( from a fellow "only an inch to go'er") :D

P.s. I realise I'm setting myself for some awful cracks with that last comment. Come on then, I'm waiting! :D

P.p.s Just realised you said you are streching morning & night.

In my experience this depends what type of streches you are doing. Hard streches like PNF should only be attempted on a 1 on 1 off rota. Mind you this is what works best for me. Experiment by all means but stay safe, always ensure you never go too far alone!

3. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Thanks for the reply. Any reference material you can share?

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Well if you start stretching that inch Tosh, maybe you might see some higher quality of cracks? :D

Don't tell Mel I said that, I'll get sacked for misconduct!

Seriously though,

Binski mate, get a programme together and stick to it. Do the regular graft and you'll be there before you know it. Don't go too fast at it, slow n steady. I don't know that setting a time limit is a good idea. Thomas Kurz method is good as Tosh has said.

Good luck

5. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

LOL!

6. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Thanks for the advice guys. The time limit wasn't really one I had set in stone, just more of a goal to reach as far as possible within that time. This Thomas Kurz method you guys are talking about, what is it?

7. Cain

Cain New Member

8. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

Go for the full split and bear the pain :D
    sike...ummm do a lot of stretching and don't kill YOURSELF!!

9. Andy Murray

That seems like pretty bad advice Cougar!

10. Andy Murray

Interestingly,

The Thomas Kurz book (lent to a student and never returned!!!), reckons you can go from zero to full box split in around three months.

Other benefits of that type of stretching are that you can kick to 90 % of your range without warmup.

Downside?

It hurts a bit, and you have to look out for knee problems.

I got to full box splits just once in my life by using the Thomas Kurz system, but as Tosh has mentioned, having the flexibility is one thing, and having the leg strength to take advantage of it is another!

Strength is more important IMHO.

Run a search on 'Pavel' as well.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I have the Kurtz videos and followed the routines for about 2 months quite a few years ago.

I got some flexibility gains and some major lateral knee problems that I have been plagued with since.

Doh!

12. Andy Murray

COUGAR. YOUR LAST POST WAS DELETED. CONSIDER YOUR NEXT ONE CAREFULLY!

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Don't worry Andy, I read it :D

As for the splits, I have seen quite some partners do is in just six months, and I have been trying for about three years and still can't get it, instead I concentrate more on active flexibility for my legs, for strength I usually stay in a horse stance or do squats, the two go hand in hand

|Cain|

14. bbcb_98

bbcb_98 New Member

I have been reading stuff and following Thormas Kurtz stretching guide for just a couple of weeks. His thoughts on the strength side of flexibility training made me reconsider how I was doing things (basically I started paying more attention to leg/hip strength). The dynamic stretching makes alot of sense to me as well. My MA teachers over the years have always sticked to the static stuff before a class and now I am reconsidering how much my instructors really knew about conditioning.

For those who have tried Kurtz how do you think knee pain came about? Was it one exercise or the whole program? I am not very flexible at all so I was hoping to loosen up.

15. Andy Murray

The work at getting towards box splits.

As Yoda said, you place a lot of lateral stress on the knee joint as your feet get further apart but your whole body weight is over them still. The critical period is when you get to 12 inches or less to go to ground, then the weight, combined with the contractions used really start to test the stability of the knee joint.

To be fair to Kurz, he does suggest variant stretches for those who find themselves with knee trouble in the book.

The human body wasn't really designed for this you know. :D

16. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

it wasn't me that pinched your book was it?

17. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

A good tip is to do them upside down :D

By this I mean the following.

1. Lie on back legs in air 90 degrees
    2. Get two partners on each leg and let legs fall apart towards the ground to your maximum streching
    3. Each partner holds the foot in the desired position while you put pressure against.

This way you can aviod your body weight adding to the load on the kneees as the force is generated by your own leg strength (which you have more control over)

Must say though (another good reason to do them!) since squatting more often and heavier weights I've found it easier to get bigger gains. Flexibility is not just about strechy muscles you know!!!

18. Andy Murray

Hi Tosh,

I'm thought I'd tell you about a new stretching method me and Fraser (Greyghost) invented called 'The Crossbow'.

Really important that the 'stretchee' has never heard of this, or they will not submit to it

The person to be stretched sits with their back to a wall, legs akimbo. Two training partners assist, each sitting inside the 'stretchee's' legs, bracing at the ankle and knee of a leg each with their feet, they grab an arm each and lean back to assist forward hip rotation. At full extension, a 10 second contraction is applied against resistance. The 'stretchee' returns to the starting position only to be assisted in reaching to the side this time by Assistant A grabbing wrist and elbow the stretchee aims to put his chesta cross his thigh. Once again there is a 10 second contraction before this is carried out on the other side with Assistant A. Once completed forwards, then left, then right, the 'stretchee' lifts his backside off the floor using his hands, while Assistants A & B push out their legs to extend the stretch. The 'stretchee' sits down gingerly into the new starting position, and the above routine is repeated. All in all, the stretch, extend, contract & raise sequence should be repeated three times. At this point the 'stretchee' is likely to be in some distress, crying for mother, and or sweating profusely while muttering various obscenities.........Now comes the Crossbow!.........Keeping the legs in place for the moment with one foot, Assistant A & B grab a trouser leg each, and on a rapid count of three, bring the 'stretchees' heels together in one swift motion!

Assistant A & Assistant B walk away together into the sunset, a nostalgic tear in their eyes, as they remember their first Crossbow.

*Disclaimer* This post is not entirely serious, and I will not be held responsible for any forum members who lose limbs as a result of this technique!

19. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

You know I actually whimpered out loud when it come to the "bringing together or the heel"

I always remember being in a particularly painful strech close to my limit & sweating/swearing and hearing General Choi saying,

"Breathe! You no breathe -> you die!"

That's the kind a sagely advice I started TKD to hear alright.

P.s. My students hear it a lot! :D

20. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

Try Your best!