Split: Sayoc Kali

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by EmptyHandGuy, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

:bang: Hahaha just noticed your post above me, that Spanish San Mig is effecting me too.

Shhhhh! Just a tip mate, dont charge more than £100 for teaching a seminar on Sayoc, apparently you guys are way too expensive;) Or maybe they feel your the cheeper option:dunno:

I am up your way in Barnsley in about 9 weeks mate, maybe you should drop by for a San Mig or two and we can try and reinact that Flemenco night when we met the Gypsy Kings:) in Albacete at the bar called 'El Porton' Yes that's right the Bar was called 'The Portion' just about sums that weekend up eh!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

Haven't been on here in a while (what with going to expensive Sayoc summer camps:rolleyes: etc) and when I do, I find a loooong thread all about Sayoc. Well, like some here, I was at that first course with Pamana Tuhon Sayoc and since that have made well over 90% of the seminars here in Europe (and believe me its not that I have THAT much money:eek:, its because the system is THAT good).

The amount of opportunities (in all sorts of ways) Sayoc training has afforded me since beginning to train in the system has been huge and great. It has been a tremendous journey on which I am only beginning and I have thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to much more. Sayoc training is not for everyone but those that CHOOSE to do it can look forward to enjoying a FANTASTIC system with great instructors.

Finally, I would like to publicly thank Guro Krishna for his foresight in bringing this system to Europe in the first place, his constant support and fantastic teaching to both my students and myself. Finally, while I have always respected him as a highly evolved FMAist I find his abilities in Sayoc Kali are constantly raising the bar for all of us Sayoc practisioners here in Europe. Thank you Guro Krishna.

3. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

Hi Pat, yes Atienza Kali is closely involved with SIG but they are very much their own system. Two AK students Guro Leo Manola and Guro Josh Vostaw have both won the Cold Steel Challenge.

The AK knife rig, (not all students choose to do the knife syllabus) is very similar to the Sayoc rig but the BIG difference is the sword rig, which is unlike ANYTHING from any other system.

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Cheers for clearing that up mate. Good to see you back here again, Hows the family I bet the kids are a big bigger now and more of a handfull, I know mine are.

Send my best to Joanne and the kids, who knows we may bump into each other again one day.

Best regards

Pat

5. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Hi, I've got two questions for you!

Firstly what is the Cold Steel Challenge?

I've also had a look at your website and in the transition drill video clip are they wearing the Sayoc rig?

6. mick shore

mick shore Valued Member

Hi dave,
    good to see you on here,i was just going to reply about the atienzas rig,you,ve answered it for me.I would also second what you said about guro krishna bringing sayoc kali to europe ,He paved the way for us guys to go across and train,thanks guro krishna for also reccomending me as an apprentice instructor to pamana tuhon chris sayoc. How was your head on the flight home dave? i was battered after the night before, That bar was like something out of a film ,you dont see them like that back home.
    Pat , that was a good sesh-i remember hiding half drunk bottles and being found out,We left that flamenco club late as i joined dave and the lads back at the hotel for a nightcap and the sun was up.Albacete was a brilliant town ,The gym for the seminar was very smart,of a lot higher standard than seen in the uk,ill have to return some day.
    If im not busy, Ill call by when your,e back up barnsley way-Ive got a lot on oct-nov time.say hello to the big fella from barnsley from me if you see him
    regards mick

7. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

Hey Pat, thanks for that and yes there are big and a handful:). Yea, we'll have to have a pint sometime in the future:cool:

Oh Jaysus Mick, I can't remember it as I spent most of it trying to recover from that night and that crazy bar:) However, although I thought that was an attempted assasination by alcohol by our American brothers, it was a great night. Hopefully, I'll see ya in November and we'll have a chat.

8. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

Hiya GB-UK, it is a blade simulator event held each year by well known blade makers Cold Steel. Its held in California and attracts a large and good standard of competitor.

Yes sir, it is the rig but one thing to bear in mind is that the rig changes and is added to as you advance in rank.

9. oosh

oosh Valued Member

anyone thought of something similar for the UK ?

10. EmptyHandGuy

The Cold Steel event sounds very interesting. As does the rig, so is it just for knife or does it/ can it hold other weapons aswell?

11. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

The AK rig is very different to the Sayoc rig, as the main rig is to carry long blades and depending on rank, the amount and way you carry the blades varies eg blade is holstered either side of the body or two swords crossed on the back. There is also a rig on the right side to the rear that holsters a bolo and finally a sheath that takes the long blade (36") on the front of the body.

12. EmptyHandGuy

That does sound like a lot of blades to be carrying around, how does it effect movement and speed? Is it purely a training device or is there a street version aswell? I would have thought that training with a rig like this the blade placement and retrieval would become embeded in your muscle memory so it would be natural to reach for a blade thats positioned where its held on the rig.

13. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Rig

Hi GB,

I believe its a piece of training equipment, as mentioned earlier, the aim is to teach you where to place knives around the body for easiest drawing, as well as teaching you where the other guy can hide knives.

If you were walking around with all those knives, the clanking would draw attention from our uniformed friends ;-)

Bill

14. Bambi

Bambi Valued Member

Knives dont clank when they're sheathed..

15. oosh

oosh Valued Member

How about a "Blade Simulator" comp for the UK then?