Split from E-musha shugyo thread

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by benkyoka, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Please provide the dates for the 15 year period in which he didn't train with Soke (i.e. June 1995 - February 2010. Just an example)

Obviously this doesn't relate to Koku so I think you brought it up only in an effort to discredit PR. This is unbecoming.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Well we will possibly never know your ability because you are too afraid to show it.

You wont give your name, who you train with, show your ability, but you are very happy to spend all day criticising other people, hmmmm, what does that tell us??

Are you out to improve your understanding and technique or is your form already perfect?

We only have your word for it you even train. I dont believe you have a master as you would know about not putting power into techniques and you would have known more about Koku.

So would you like to carry on with the criticism of each other or finish here?

3. benkyoka

This is hilarious. Sure he hasn't put out video so we just have to go in what he writes. Interestingly, what he writes seems on par with the experiences of many people on this board. We also get to judge you on what you write AND your video.

4. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

And why does everybody say they never see you in the hombu dojo? :bang:

You live in Japan and never train what is that about?????

5. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

I'm sorry, coming from someone who cannot even respond to the criticisms of their own very imperfect form, I find your post a bit funny. I am not trying to have a ****ing match with you, just trying to understand how you have such an attitude towards a senior member of the organization.

You are also making assumptions based on your limited interaction and understanding. Anyone can see how I move, it is obvious and clear when I am in the dojo, or when crossing hands. Fear has nothing to do with my reasons for posting anonymously, so again you are barking up the wrong tree. My technique isn't perfect, but it is a lot better than what I have seen of yours. The criticisms weren't meant as putdowns but descriptions of flaws in taijutsu, if you take them to heart you might improve. Your understanding of what power is and how to "put" it into techniques does not seem coherent, nor does your taijutsu appear powerful, effortless, or effective.

Ishizuka sensei and the other shihan are not your contemporaries or colleagues, they are your daisempai and should be respected as such(even if you have the same dan rank or even outrank some of the old timers in terms of dan- i.e. Kobayashi sensei). So, if you removed your ego from the discussion, you would see that these aren't personal attacks, but clarifications and discussions about taijutsu.

I already requested that if you want to discuss personal things to take it to PM, I will not respond further because it seems you are trying to derail the thread or make it a personal conflict(which in my mind there is none-I've wished you well in your journey in the past and still feel that way despite some veiled threats and a bit vicious attitude you've demonstrated). So back to Gyokko ryu.

6. benkyoka

Training and training in hombu are two different things. Some people never learn that.

7. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Look we have been through this 100 times, I do not want you to criticise me or my technique unless I can criticise yours. I am very happy for Soke or about a dozen shihans to pick me to pieces and in fact I urge and encourage them too and pay good money for them to. But not some unknown, unverified, self appointed person on a forum, that is not the way. Who are you? You have made it clear you are not even interested in BBT. And you have made it clear you are out of touch with current Bujinkan philosophy.

So please get off my back unless you have the balls to tell me who you are, you have my word if you do it by PM I will not disclose it.

Thank you and good night.

8. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Did you read the OP of this thread?

If you did not want feedback, why post a video in a thread specifically for that?:dunno: Other people whose names you do know have also asked you questions concerning your videos, but you decided not to answer their questions either. It is obvious that my anonymity is not the major reason you have failed to address the criticisms of your taijutsu.

I already addressed the rest in my above post, so please stick to the conversation at hand. We are discussing the kata of the different ryuha, so if you want to discuss BBT, this is probably not the best thread. Good night.

9. bboygyro

bboygyro Valued Member

Off topic again, but I'm curious Niinpo. Your instructor bio at your website states that you are licensed by Hatsumi sensei to teach all nine of the schools. Is this a typo? Or were you fortunate enough to be given actual teaching licenses in all 9 of the schools?

http://www.bujinkan-brighton.co.uk/instructors/

10. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Even with my limited experiance, I quickly realized training with soke was a waste of time and money ( for > 5 th dans anyway) I thought most were collecting brownie points, and were in the fast track rank club with little to no skill, and were noticeably absent at the shihans class where their lack of skill could have been corrected.

So in short I totally 'get' why someone wouldn't train every soke class, for a few reasons.

Edit: and if Mark doesn't want to tell you who he is, that's up to him :D

11. TomD

TomD Valued Member

Tell me, how much actual practice do you think is going on in the Honbu? Not seeing someone there a lot may actually mean that he spends his time really practicing with his teacher rather than lavishing in the gaijin danfest...

12. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your question and thanks for not making it personal, everybody is entitiled to their opinion and it make much better discussion and benifits and expands all of our knowlledge the sahring of different belifes.

This is an important question as there clearly seems to be some people in the Buj who think it is not worth going to the Hombu, especially when it is crowded and some, myself included who do.

My reasons are this:

How ever you look at it it is Hatsumi Senseis art and it is his art (formally Takamatsus's) that I want to learn.

A small part of that art is the physical side, the other parts are mind and spirit or heart. Shin Gi Tai type thing.

The physical side you are right can be trained mostly outside of the hombu, as Soke says walking, ryutai, kata, waza etc.

For the other two sides you (one) have to be in his dojo listening, watching and feeling him, his presence, his way, his movement anecdotes, subtle non-concious ways developing as he develops, through his different ages. He is like the guiding light.

This is why we say shikin haramitsu daikomio at the start of calss.

I feel like I am just touching the surface and yes wish I could be there every week, but the best I can do is be there every year at least, it is like a top up a "oh, thats where I should be" type of thing.
    As I have mentioned before I have been travelling to Japan for over twenty years and every time I step foot in the hombu I realise why I need to be there. It is the source, this is why Soke keeps a flat organisation with him at the top, he is very clever, there is no hierarchy, you dont have to train with a ****eno/shihan each and every Bujinkan person should train with him, or their teacher should train with him, if they dont they simply are not Bujinkan.

It is his way and I believe there is reason behind what he does, so I accept all the Sakki tests, Dan grades, floods of foreigners etc it all has a purpose.

So when people complain about such things quite simply they are in the wrong organisation.

The Bujinkan is not for everybody, in the words of a wise man, "shut up and train"

I have to go and do a demo to school kids now so catch you later.

Jake

13. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Why do you think Soke puts the 9 schools on the back of the shidoshi card, do you have a shidoshi card?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rERafquHjHI/UyctjdqKiiI/AAAAAAAAAVA/-hp3lie_Kk8/s1600/Card2.png

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

15. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

He is also a bone doctor, why doesn't he put that on the card? ;)

16. bboygyro

bboygyro Valued Member

Dean already covered this, but Soke's name is next to the schools because he is Soke of them. The part where you (and I) are included is on the right where it says you are shidoshi in the Bujinkan dojo.

I hardly believe that Soke has licensed thousands of people to instruct the actual ryu-ha traditions he was passed on by Takamatsu. I doubt he has so little regard for what he was given.

17. Dean Winchester

He probably doesn't want people getting confused and thinking they are licensed to practice.

;)

18. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

I believe Soke is licensing shidoshi to teach the Bujinkan arts which is made up of the nine schools, I fear some people put too much emphasis on the schools.

If it takes approximately 5 years to get shodan then another 5 years to get godan and become shidoshi, you should by then have a pretty good grasp on things, good enough to teach, the problem as I see it is too many perpetuate the myth that mastery of the schools is some kind of golden chalice that only a chosen few get to see the secret scrolls and have the special one on one training. Well unfortunately it is only like that in the films.

That is why so many of us spend so much time in the dojo honing our own skills, based on the loose outline of the densho and 100's of hours practice what a shihan or Soke demonstrates.

19. Dean Winchester

They are a series of unique but related traditions which are not coloured by the interpretation of joe blogs Shidoshi, as a result they are and should be regarded as something rather special.

I can appreciate that you don't get what some people say but it isn't like the films, there are plenty of accounts of people in various arts undergoing similar training and developing that one on one relationship. These people also have the depth of knowledge and experience in their individual traditions and that is exactly the type of thing that comes from a traditional teaching method.

The general Buj populace has to spend all that time and hang on to every word because they don't have this experience, the transmission is not there in the same way as it is when specifically studying a ryu-ha or having that direct teacher student relationship.

Unless you have the traditional specific license in the ryu-ha then you are not licensed to teach them in that way, the fact that people don't know the basics of the ryu-ha, the differences in sabaki the purpose of individual kata and their interconnecting relationship and even things as basic as the junban shows that they have not studied the ryu-ha as individual entities.

If they had then such things would not be a problem to them as a teacher because it should be bread and butter stuff.

20. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

So trying to keep this to a technical discussion

What I don't understand is:
    1 How the position of the head can be any closer to his left hand if you're leaning or not. Surely your head position (being v close to his punching fist) is the same if you're leaning or not (assuming that you've done what you need to do below to achieve this)?
    2 Why you think unleaning is slow or wastes time?
    3 Why adding the movement of the upper body to the legs and hips wouldn't add something to the shuto?

Thanks loads - it's interesting/useful for me to challenge my preconceived ideas on this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.