Spinning

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Princess Haru, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I wondered if anyone here has any experience of spinning in a class, as a teacher or just using it for your own cardio work? I like to mix up my gym based cardio and have lately got more into spinning but I can never make the classes at my gym as I tend to work late. Is it possible to do spinning seriously on your own?

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

:dunno:

Attached Files:

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I have a couple of friends who used to do it and thought it was an excellent workout.

I think you can get spinning workouts on cd (I nearly said tape there - oops showing my age!) and if you're interested in spinning at home it might be worth investigating these.

One thing to be careful about with cycling is that you have to make sure to stretch afterwards, because the shortened range of leg motion during cycling can lead to flexibility issues.

4. Princess Haru

^ this! no not this :)

this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rRnbVcd1Rk"]YouTube - Spinning Brasil[/ame]

5. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM-mLH_1IsM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM-mLH_1IsM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

6. Princess Haru

^ this! (not) though I did grow up in a small fishing town and have been out in the big bad north sea on a boat

7. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

If you spend the better part of your week sitting, often in front of a computer, like most people then I don't recommend sitting while hunched over for your exercise. Unless you hate your spine and are trying to get back at it for some past grievance ;)

8. Princess Haru

Fair Point! Though what does that leave for cardio?

• Running + good exercise + minimal equipment - high impact
    • Swimming + great exercise + low impact - pools - my poor technique
    • Rowing + good exercise + low/med impact - a lot of pulling
    • Eliptical/Cross trainer + great exercise + low/medium impact - equipment/don't have one
    • Cyclo Cross trainer + great exercise - uncomfortable/intense at high rpm
    • Interval Circuit training + great exercise + minimal equipment - medium/high impact

I'd probably go back to (mainly) rowing and (some) circuits

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Skipping?

10. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Jumping jacks, burpees, a circuit compose of things like bodyweight squats, pushups, plank, side plank, reverse lunges, split squats, supine bridges, 1 leg supine bridges, lateral squats, 1 leg romanian deadlifts, arm walk-outs, etc.

Rowing is fantastic if you have access and have instruction on how to do it properly. It's all scapular retraction & depression, thoracic extension, hip extension, and core stabilization. Basically, it undoes everything sitting does to your body.

However, a lot of people repeatedly flex and extend their lumbar spine while rowing and that's why there is such a high propensity for disc bulges and herniation among those who row for many hours.

As Frodo said, skipping can be great too.

And having poor swimming technique isn't a bad thing unless you're racing. If you're looking for a hard workout, then poor technique is your best friend.

I'm actually a fairly atrocious swimmer, at least compared to my wife who taught lessons, did swim team, was a life guard... yeah she shames me. While she's gliding effortlessly across the water I'm man-handling my way around gasping for air and flailing frantically. But I always get a better workout than her!

11. Princess Haru

I've got a leather rope in my gym bag, often do 5-10 minutes of skipping after weights if I haven't run overtime, which is usually the case at the moment as I try to add other supplementary exercises between the barbell ones and find 1.5 hours has gone before I know it. Still can't manage consecutive double unders though (which would really burn the calories)

12. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

I think spinning is an excellent exercise, because it incorporates interval training, if done properly. Part of the "group vibe" experience will be lost if you do it at home, but if you are able to motivate yourself (with music?), why not?

13. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Spinning seems like all the misery attatched to a long bike ride with none of the scenery.

Attached Files: