spinning back kicks

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mitch, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Here's a nice little vid that illustrates something PiP and I were chatting about a bit at the MAP Meet, and I thought it might be interesting to look at.

First to roughly define some terms. They're spinning kicks because you spin, but to me they're back kicks as the kick goes out in a pretty much straight line to the target. That's to differentiate them from reverse turning kicks/wheel kicks/whatever a particular style calls them.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The things I like to look for start with there being a spin, or pivot on the supporting foot, not a step. I think this is what develop the power. If the kicker steps and turns first, then delivers the kick, this tends to isolate the power to what the leg can generate, rather than adding the power of the spin.

Other people may well have different ideas, please go for it! :)

Second, and the thing I thought the vid illustrated nicely, was two different back kicks. One is a short range dig with the heel. The knees stay largely parallel as the kick is delivered, with minimum angle opening between them, and the sole of the heel is the striking surface. This is a classic WTF TKD technique, though I'm sure they're not alone in using it. It can be really short, delivered at close range, both offensively and defensively.

The other type of back is the, from my point of view, more traditional back kick, where the knee of the kicking leg opens out to up to a 90 degree angle, then jabs back from there. This can work at longer range, and has mechanics much more similar to a side kick because of the open knee position.

People often focus on the latter, perhaps because it feels like a big, powerful kick. But as you can see from the video, the former is powerful too, and having held pads to a national level female competitor who was a good deal lighter than me, I can confirm that the people who are good at it get some real power behind it.

Anyway, your experiences are very welcome, and if you haven't tried both, there's something to play with :)

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

In Olympic-style TKD it's called a back kick too.

axelb and Mitch like this.
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That looks like what my school would call a spinning rear kick. We learn it with advance and with returning to original position. Advance in case we knock the opponent back. Return in case we don't. Although in sparring if I did that, I would be more likely to just cross step out, then actually return fully to original position.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like this tutorial from Chuck Liddell.

Highlighting the differences between a spinning/reverse side kick (foot horizontal) and spinning back kick (foot vertical). Starting with a step across while learning but graduating to a more fluid turn and spin in one motion (as Mitch mentioned above).
    Also whether to sight on the target or not. I'm on the fence about that one. To a degree I agree that the spin and kick should be so fast there should be no real need (or opportunity) to properly acquire the target post spin. It's either there or it ain't.
    But then I've also seen people spin, acquire the target mid spin and land with good effect. But I do think there's a large degree of proprioception needed to see the target in space and place the foot onto the target without using the eyes.

Dead_pool, Monkey_Magic and Mitch like this.
  6. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

7. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

I know this is a week old, but I really enjoyed both the video and the breakdown by the OP.

His discription, concerning the differences between the two methods of delivering this kick, I will agree with. You can see the several discriptions the OP mentioned, and the pain it caused those on the receiving end, showing the effectiveness of the variations.

This is a Kick that is inherent in Kwon Bup. The basic motion that is taught, is a pop spin, while driving the energy both down and out, along the meridians.

Great video and a great breakdown of the technique.

Mitch likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That's was about the most perfect spinning kick I've ever seen.

Mitlov and Mitch like this.
  9. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Nice, it looks like a spinning heal kick...another option for the structure of this kick.

Mitlov likes this.
  10. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Mitch likes this.
  11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Depends on how you chose to slice the cake - what the differences are.

I can see four, possibly five, different kicks in the above vids.

Spining hook kick. - a spin combined with a circular extension where the kick is delivered along the same vector as a spin. contact is made with the heal. over all a circular movement

spinning side kick - a spin combined with a liner extension that results in a straight line kick - power comes from both the turning motion and the drive from the hip, strike landing with the blade or flat of the foot. knee and toes parallel to floor.

Spinning back kick - turn back on opponent and rotating on spot, kick backwards with toes and knee of kicking leg pointing towards the floor. power comes from both the extension of the leg and from the spin.

Back kick - turn back on opponent and move towards them, kick backwards with toes and knee of kicking leg pointing towards the floor. power comes from both the extension of the leg and from the movement towards the opponent.

tiger tail kick - turn back on opponent and kick backwards with toes and knee of kicking leg pointing towards the floor. the leg is not fully extended so the foot makes contact while the leg is still bent. less power from the extension and more from the movement into the opponent.