speed training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kabba kick, Aug 24, 2004.

1. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

as the topic says,is there anyway to train speed? ive studied all the different kick and movement techniques but im still not where id like to be

2. Desipio

Desipio New Member

as a person not very conscious of his own body ("What, I have hair?!?!")... I dont even understand hwo you can train to be faster... it seems like strength training is easy and guranteed... but how can you make your muscles move faster? or how do you improve your reaction time?!?!

3. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

Just do things quicker. :D

4. Commander Zigg

Commander Zigg New Member

You can help reaction time by playing first person shooters (now that's my kind of training). My reaction time used to be terrible. Recently I started playing games like Doom 3 and UT2k4. My reaction time has improved by a lot. However, training speed would probably need physical exercise. I would suggest, like Sanitarium suggested, just to do things quicker. Time your kicks and punches, or have somebody time them for you. Then you just work on snapping the moves out there and after some time of training, time yourself again and see if you've improved. Also. work on using your hips/other parts of your body to speed up your strikes. However, I'm just making this stuff up, so maybe we should wait for a real fitness person to come by before you try anything.

5. animefreak88

animefreak88 Valued Member

being flexible will help too.

6. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

You can do drills like punching pieces of paper (held up) and trying to put out candles with the air in front of a punch.

7. punchfast

punchfast New Member

For Martial Arts "Speed" Training, why not use the Speed Bag (speed ball)??

http://www.speedbagcentral.com/Tips_FocusedWorkouts.html#B

Scroll down this page a little and see ways to use the spee bag for martial arts, such as practicing hand techniques and kicking.

Hope the links help.

8. JamesD

JamesD Valued Member

If your gym has a cable station and an ankle attachment you can use that and with the added weight do abductor pull, adductor pull and knee kicks with it. Don't go too heavy that you can't control the movement. but use enough weight to try and be explosive.

9. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i believe it takes time to build speed. it did with me. like said use a speed bag. do drills and try to do em' quicker each time. flexibility thats a big one also.

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Hit the heavy bag a lot, as fast as you can. You will gradually get more and more powerful. In the art I do, we do trapping and some of the drills that we do and stick work we do have increased my hand speed unbelievably.

11. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

Or you can ask someone to throw a punch to your face and see if you can evade it.:-D

12. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

But didn't you mean speed in the sense of evasion? Like say for a kick or punch?

13. S.I.D

S.I.D Valued Member

For developing speed rounds on speed bag is a good exercise :)
    To develop speed u must hit with speed in mind and not power. If u hit full power all the time, u will be sacrificing speed. Even while hitting the heavy bag u can hit with a combination of speed and power. Use ur dominating leading hand mostly for speed and ur rear hand for power.

Here r some exercises :
    1)A single punching pads is good for developing speed in ur punch,
    Have ur partner hold out the pad and whenever u attempt to punch he jerks it swiftly either upward or downward, trying to make u miss as u attempt to hit it squarely.

2)Another exercise u can include in ur traning is the "Clapping game".
    Stand abt a full arm lenght plus a 5-6 inches away from ur partner, let ur partner keep his hands abt a foot apart in front of him. The idea is to throw a punch between his hands, it is a test whether u can hit the target and snap ur fist befor he can clap it between his hands. If he cant then let him reduse the distance between his hands until it is only about six inches. U can also step further away from him in delivering ur punch. In the meantime ur partner can develop his awarness by responding to ur punches, Even u can do the clapping part nad let ur partner do punching. A 2 in 1 exercise, which develops speed and awareness :).

Causion: Dont do this exercise with kicks , it may injure ur joints