"Speciality"

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ap Oweyn, Sep 6, 2007.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I like the idea a lot. It's certainly thinking outside the box. And hurling an automatic pencil at someone before decking them with a briefcase would certainly make the point that anything can be a weapon.

Thanks again.

Stuart

2. donb

donb restless spirit

thanks. never had the chance to see it that way and never had to chance of working with anybody in fma. thanks again.

3. j8mes

j8mes New Member

Stuart,
    I don't even know if they teach Kawayan or Bungkow at KC anymore. Maybe they do, I just haven't seen it when I was visiting recently.

My specialty weapon was the Latigo, which I never got to use. I've continued to practice it, and I think it's where the gent you saw doing double latigo got the idea from.

What about spear and shield? It's more traditional, and you can always translate the movements into briefcase and an umbrella.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey mate,

Glad you could make it. :)

I don't know either. But yeah, I can't remember the bloke's name, but he did the latigo demo at the test I attended. And, when I spoke to him about it later, he said you'd taught him. Fairly tall guy. Blond hair. Spoke very highly of you, by the way.

The last time I downloaded the curriculum from their website, kawayan was on it. But their website is really out of date. So you may well be right. A lot of stuff I saw in the test doesn't appear in the curriculum either.

Stuart

5. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Belt...

Whip it out and use the metal part to hit :)

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Try the San Miguel combined with Horse and Cart method. Get you opponent drunk on San Mig, pick a fight and defend yourself by jumping on the Horse and Cart and riding away as fast as you can:D

Now that would be fun.

best regards

Pat

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

How about a weapon something like the Thai Mai saan sawk?(my favourite)

If you havent seen them they look a bit like tonfas and fasten onto your forearms,you can be very creative in their use and use them against sticks of various lengths,a really nice method is to use them against the staff.

Also you can use them standing and squatting so adding the creativity of level changes and low targets.

Please forgive me if you know and use the weapon already its just a idea :)

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey Fire Cobra,

Know it yes. Used it no. I've seen it in various movies (most notably Ong Bak). But I really like that idea. No idea where I'd actually get them though. Any sources?

Thanks!

Stuart

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I used to see them on......you guessed it......ebay for a while, but not recently. I believe they were listed under Krabi Krabong.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think I found them there once myself, but they looked pretty shoddy to my (admittedly uneducated) eye.

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi AP,
    its hard to get hold of the Mai Sawk,however a student of mine made several pairs,1 pair are great and we can use them with a fair ammount of impact,the others he made cheaply and we use them with hard plastic plongs(staffs).

They are not a perfect replica but they are preety dam near.

So if you can get hold of a good picture and know anyone willing to try and make you some that may be the way to go,if you need any more info,picture etc ill be happy to try to help :)