SPEAR system?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Crucible, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Anybody tried this? What is it?

(Wasn't sure if this was the right location for this thread, feel free to move it)

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

If by SPEAR you mean Tony Blauer's system, yes I'm familiar with it and have trained a bit in it. I'm happy to go into but I'm currently pressed for time. So let me know and I'll post more.

BTW Yoda, if it is the Blauer spear, move this to Self Defense.

- Matt

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Let's move it over to the self-defense area then, Thanks.

4. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

SPEAR system

Yep, SPEAR is Tony Blauer's brain child..Bigtime cop trainer..Have'nt hear anything good or real bad about it..They will send you information if you contact them..

5. Pericles

Pericles Valued Member

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I have some experience with both SPEAR, PDR and other Blauer concepts. I have trained off and on with a Blauer PDR (Personal Defense Readiness) Coach. Even when not training, I've observed numerous PDR classes. I've also seen another PDR coach pressure tested in a variety of live scenarios.

So I feel I have a pretty good handle on the basic tenants of the system.

All and all I think it's extremely solid. A little expenive to get involved in if you wish to become a coach. But know that the material is top notch and worth the money.

Ok so as far as SPEAR, you need to understand it's both a type of technique and a mindset. SPEAR stands for:
    S.pontainous
    P.rotection
    E.nabling
    A.ccelerated
    R.esponse
    Blauer loves the acronyms. The basic idea is that in real confrontations, especially when surprised, your body will automatically move to protect itself. This is a flinch. All humans are unconciously hardwired to do this. It isn't a bad thing. But what is key is how fast you can convert that adrenaline driven, primal response into an attack. I view SPEAR as a method of bridging from a flinch reaction to my martial skills.

The SPEAR usually takes the form of driving forward with your arms in a "wedge" or spear striking the arms and the chest/clavial line. You can find pictures of it here:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10892&highlight=blauer+spear

Ironically, or actually not so much, this is very close to movements in a number of TMAs. Good ideas are good ideas.

Note that a SPEAR can take many forms.

The broader PDR system not only addresses the SPEAR, but also the emotional, psychological and physical aspects of self defense.

- Matt