Sparring with females

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Boom Headshot!, Jun 28, 2011.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Somehow, I think if someone would go at a woman hard, I think many of women would respond, even by a slight thought; "Hey whats up, doesnt he see that I am a woman" or " he must hate women"

So if this is the situation, why are there separate gender contests?

But who gets more shock and/or embarassed by a slight "striked-brush" ; men or women?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Coronas pretty awesome. I think she looks very fit and great. I never understood why she doesn't like her body too much.

Not in the dojo. Its understood you're all there to benefit. My fellow orange belt karate buddy, John, is kind of wild and he can hit hard but i don't go 'I'm a girl'

3. 47MartialMan

But you dont have to. I merely stated that many females do.

There are exceptions.

Speaking of, and I am about to touch a thin line;

Do most males think this is feminine of females in doing this?
    (As part of male subconscious as a reason "not to" let go)

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

feminity and masculinity are myths perpetuated due to the way society evolved. neither of the concepts have any bearing on the noble arts of taking another human being and beating it to a pulp.

5. 47MartialMan

"Noble arts of taking another human being and beating it to a pulp."?

Therefore, its ok to beat a woman or child, or even kill them, without concern?

I don't know about taking another human being and beating it to a pulp is noble.

This thread seems to be upon moral beliefs or culture acceptance

6. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I realize that a lot of people value being freakishly tiny and see that as 'beauty', but I don't. I see it as non-functional and unhealthy. I associate it with sickness, not beauty. It's kind of cool when I'm off to a goth rock or metal event and I actually want to look morbid, otherwise my very underweight frame creeps me out. It's just something I inherited, my sister has an even more extreme version (she's 5'5 and was only 44-45kg until age 20) but it still creeps me out...

..also, I live in an area where obesity is fairly common, and people treat me like a freak for not being a size 16 lump of dough (lol). Seriously I grew up being told not to lift plastic chairs in case I hurt myself. I understand that if you're 6ft tall and 120 kilograms, I'm going to seem like a little insect, but behaviour like that is just over the line and drives me insane. Especially when I just ate like a demon and lifted like a demon just to get up to 56kg at all.

(I'm also mildly obsessed with Cyborg Santos, and I totally want a souped up physique like hers XD)

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Fair enough. Now I've had time to think on it that was probably more of a reply I'd write to Fish on msn rather than something I should of posted on map. Now to put a smiley next to it.

8. Fish Of Doom

that does not follow a direct logical progression from what i said :)

the thread is about whether, in the practice of martial arts (a type of activity designed majorly to develop attributes desirable for interpersonal violent conflict, generally without weapons), men should or not hold back when sparring women. there is no reason for them to do it based on gender.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

Why would you think this?

It's not just a matter of weight of course. It's strength, muscle mass, muscle composition and a whole heap of other things. But it's just easier and simpler to say 'weight' as everyone has been doing. Semantics that's all.

Again, why would you think this? And what sort of position are you in to make this personal judgement?

10. Fish Of Doom

@righty: re: why he would think that: simple, because the same social conditioning that gets pushed into men also gets pushed into women, so a lot of them end up believing the same hogwash.

11. 47MartialMan

I really do not have a personal "judgement" or opinion of this.

I am throwing out what I have heard from other males.

This has been a issue for decades

12. 47MartialMan

In my case-wrongo :eek:

(read the preceding)

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Indeed. Vaguely related but there was an article I was reading earlier that quoted a survey saying a third of men believed they should never hit a woman but just over half the woman asked thought there was no circumstance they would deserve a crack either.

14. Fish Of Doom

it's simply a subset of another issue that is less prominent nowadays (leading to us being able to discuss this "sub-issue" that has arisen), but that has been around probably since around the time when humans first acquired self-awareness. abusing occam's razor, the progression is simple enough. humans evolve so that males have greater development for physical development. humans develop interpersonal conflict. statistically, the majority of stronger humans are males, so as civilization starts developing, women are subdued. civilizations develop for thousands of years, and customs and traditions form, break, and change, until modern day. now that we're arguably not so freaking stupid, and don't necessarily rely on bonking people over the head or stabbing them to get what we want, the original physically-derived attitudes start to change, and women start thriving physically much more often, but due to the twitching, stinking remnants of thousands of years of traditions, issues arise over whether men should accept women as equals.

15. righty

righty Valued Member

Yes, very likely. But I want him to say it.

If it's something you just heard from other males then you should state as such. If you just make a statement like and make it sound like fact (when it clearly isn't) that there is no reason to presume that it's not a view you have formed yourself.

16. 47MartialMan

I dont always have the "pre"thought at first to write;

"From what I have heard, discovered.....yadda yadda"

Sometimes the after thought comes before.

It is my thought process in reverse likewise to my dyslexia

17. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I was expressing my views. Not biological facts.

If other women prefer to have the guys go easy on them, it's their right to ask for that.

Myself, I want to know that when I made someone tap out, I genuinely beat him. It's not really winning if you just got handed the submission on a plate.

In addition, while I take care not to put myself in any stupid situations, I might one day need to use those skills for real. And then I'll have to deal with someone bigger and, sadly, despite all the lifting I do, stronger than me. And 'going easy' does NOTHING for that.

18. 47MartialMan

But in the world of fighting-defense we have to necessarily rely on bonking people over the head or keep from being stabbed. The physical violence and confrontation still remains

Ah yes. Then along with "coed sparring", the "sub issue" can unfold thus;

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1074475719#post1074475719

19. Fish Of Doom

and then the sub-issue becomes moot. you either teach someone how to fight/defend themselves/brutalize someone else effectively, or you don't. and holding back with women because they're women means you aren't. now obviously what will make someone more effective at combat will vary in a situational basis, but gender is still only an indirect factor affecting this.

20. 47MartialMan

I agree.

However, no matter what you do, there will always be someone bigger and, sadly, despite all the lifting you do, stronger than you, that you will be defeated.

Therefore, not taking it easy is not always the issue as what is a better strategy.

Could you think or believe, that the many, the majority of females, who are not martial artists, who do not "engage" in heavy sparring, martial art-etc, etc, are less likely to not prevail? To not survive?

Yet this vast majority, still survive daily, weekly, monthly, through the years, "without having to hardcore spar a male counterpart".

Now, please don't misconstrue. I am not talking about a woman NOT having independence. I am NOT saying a "woman's place is in the kitchen". I am NOT going along the path of male chauvinism from my personal opinion. And I am NOT one to simply support what in some course, to quote a saying; “girly girl” mannerisms towards defense

As I must reiterate;

The choice of how to spar, is made from the individual