Sparring with females

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Boom Headshot!, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In which case I apologise to you on a personal level that you don't like it but, no offense, I'm not going to edit that post out or stop making those sort of jokes just because of your personal issues with how you believe you're perceived by men for being small but well toned. As I said and by your own admission its clearly a joke (not one that was worth making considering the hassle I realised I'd get afterwards but hey, too late to change it now :p) and just to make it clear I have all the respect in the world for Cyborg she's the best hope of changing perceptions of women in mma and martial arts in general.
    That said I don't see the harm in that sort of sarcastic humour. Its no worse than me calling my mate gay everytime he flicks his hair, or women expressing suprise when a man cooks or cleans or something. Stupid jokes like that make the world go round and I don't see any harm in them :)

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Aside from which anorexia is an admiral trait in a female. Shows they care :evil: :)

3. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

THis is proper dojo or club behaviour. I agree whole heartedly... You challenge your partners, male or female, not beat the crap out of them because you can.

This is how you learn..... from those who are better.. and anyone who suggests it should be different should remember the first day they walked into the dojo.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

5'7" tall, 56 kilo's woman... wow that's hot.

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Ah great attitude :cool:

I was more asking about tactics though. If it is a complete stranger, do you tend to be more conservative in your sparring?

6. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

*sits in front of you, looks you in the eye and eats an entire packet of cookies.*

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

got milk?

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

damn, this is good popcorn.

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

damn it, all I got is a chocolate bar and some potato chips

10. Fish Of Doom

fun fact: i don't actually like popcorn.

11. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Don't take it personally, Steph, but some of us were brought up NEVER to strike a woman. At my age (45) it takes quite a bit of effort for me to spar with a lady, but I do it because I ultimately came to the conclusion that it shows significant disrespect to her if I hold back when sparring. (That and I'm a new student and she's an instructor.)

Some of us were just brought up that way.

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I really like popcorn... might have to trade you for it.

13. Fish Of Doom

sorry, rebel, but i would never trade myself for popcorn. i'm not that kind of guy...

14. Fish Of Doom

but you make an effort to change. that shows an open and flexible mind. best tool a human can ever have, IMO.

15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Heck no!

I was brought up not to hit women... but I don't hit them because that was how I was brought up, I don't hit cause I'm afraid they might hit me back.

It isn't called holding back, it is called being conservative. Last time I blasted in on a woman wearing a black belt that was mostly white and falling apart from wear and tear, I was rocked by a left hook off of my own momentum.

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

When I was a black belt training in Goju, there was a brown belt woman that I used to spar a lot with. She was just a little bit taller than me but didn't weigh as much, the perfect height for judo throws. I used to love to throw her around the mat. She had great breakfalls, don't know how she knew to fall so well cause this was karate sparring...lol.

Anyway, she kept training until she was 8 months pregnant, then she felt it best to stop. Since her husband was in medical school, they moved away a bit after having the baby. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing she kept up her training and got her black belt.

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In response:

^This. The "I was raised not to hit girls" thing is cool and I completely respect the fact that its true for a lot of men myself included, but just because its understandable doesn't mean it doesn't need to change :)

18. Fish Of Doom

the world would be a better place if more people bothered to ask why to everything, like a massive herd of overly curious 5 year olds. there would also be a lot more existential crises, though :p.

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I know what you meant.

Most of the spar session I have been to and observed in a few arts,,,,,lets say that a female will get "busted up" for wanting to be "treated equal"

20. righty

righty Valued Member

Yeah I have to agree with Corona although less vehemently. I know you don't mean and are making a joke because I've been reading your posts for a while now. But it does still does a disservice to female martial artists because anyone might read it.

Maybe put a smiley next to it next time or something.