Sparring Tips!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by TigerAnsTKDLove, Dec 31, 2003.

1. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

hello does anyone do WTF olympic style Sparring? in 2 months or 3 i will be doing sparring and i was wondering if you have any helpful tips you can give me? this is stupid but when wearing all the sparring gear does it distract your view? and is the gear heavy? i am so interested in sparring and i cannot wait to start it! and if you could provide me with anymore info on sparring i would really appreciate it thanks! :)

2. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

I had a friend who did Olympic-Style sparring once (and no, he was NOT in the WTF). The best tip he could give anyone who did ANY martial arts was to keep your guard up. That headgear won't protect you from "Coma Kicks".

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Listen, that is a great tip for anyone that spars whether it be WTF tournament sparring or sparring in class.

Yes, gear is cumbersome. It is something that you will get used to eventually. Actually when we train in class we spar without gear and with ... most prefer not to spar with gear hence it impedes your movement, but that is something you must learn to overcome if you are seriously training for tournies.

Yes, keep guard up at all times,.... work on your footwork (keep moving)!! RELAX and BREATHE!!!

Good Luck!

4. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

thank you kick chick and surging shark

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

You get used to the gear. The headgear makes you sweat a lot, so get one with lots of holes. :) You shouldn't be kicking to the head (at least not even half-power) until you are a much higher rank, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Lots of people want their hogu tied loose, so they can move better, but I like it tight so it doesn't flop around, and gives me a bigger range of motion. Find out what you like.

As for actual tips:

KEEP YOUR HANDS UP. I have trouble remembering myself, and that's when I get hit. Also, learn to rush people. Most TKD fighters have no clue what to do up close. Just gotta watch out for those side kicks (my favorite :)).

And last, but not least, ALWAYS do combos, and ALWAYS fake first. Most people can see your kicks coming, since you're not that high yet, so make them get paranoid first, and then kick. Whether you get a clean hit or get your leg blocked, keep going. If you were blocked and are moving away, your opponent can counter you. If you got a good hit in, and run away, you're giving your opponent a chance to recover.

Oh, and don't show any signs of pain. It just fuels some people because they can see you're injured. Just ignore all pain.

PL

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  6. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

ALMOST always fake first. Don't get predictable.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

You can just adjust the number of fakes you do then.

PL

8. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

What little I know:

1. I had trouble breathing well when I first put on my chest pad. Try breaking it in like you would a new baseball glove. Pull it as tight as you can around itself (without you in it), tie it closed, put some weight on it.

2. AMEN on the combinations!! Simple ones work, like Block, Punch, Kick. Also work on roundhouse kicks: front leg or back leg, moving in, or while moving back.

3. Practice re-attack every time you are attacked. (Example: they kick, you kick). Easiest re-attack moves are a roundhouse kick, or a back kick.

4. Use a side kick or a pushing front kick, to force someone back who is crowding you.

5. RELAX!! When I started, I was SOOOO tense, that I couldn't do anything.

6. PRACTICE!!!! Like anything else in TKD, it gets easier the more you do it (and it gets more enjoyable, too)

7. Watch for something called the "red zone"--the distance from your opponent where you are standing right in range of their kick. Don't stay there!!! (Kind of like standing in the zone in basketball). Watch how long their legs are. If yours are longer, keep them right at the distance where they are at the end of your kick (they are in YOUR red-zone, and you are just out of their range). If their legs are longer, move more. Don't just stand in their range and get kicked. Move in to attack, then move back out. Skip roundhouse works well for this. Good to practice on a target or bag, to help judge your range/distance.

8. Move!!

9. Blocking is good, but it gets you no points. You must do offense. And it's OK to move out of the way, instead of trying to block every kick.

10. As far as keeping your guard up: even with full sparring gear on, I was getting bruises on my hips all the time, just under the chest guard and under/inside where I had my arms. I switched to a narrower stance and brought my elbows in more to guard that. Since then, I've taken out five higher ranking belts, all faster than me, all because they landed their best roundhouse kick right on the point of my extremely bony left elbow! Not that I tried to hurt anybody.....just that you should experiment with a stance that you're comfortable with, and that protects where you tend to get hit.

Please let us all know how you do.

9. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Does anyone know anything about the video/DVD from Turtle Press....."100 Top Scoring Techniques" for sparring?

Is it any good? Do you have to be a 256th Dan to use it? Is it hard/easy to follow? Practical?

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

keep your guard up, stick to the basic kicks. DOn't hesitate to kick back.

11. Helm

Helm New Member

Heres a short (but not very good) video of me and a buddy in class a month or 2 back

http://www.flipage.com/videos/jamie-matt-spar-pract.mpg

It gives you a basic idea of how WTF sparring works (this was at the end of a long lesson, so we were knackerd!), basically punches are rarely used and attacks are based on fake-hit-counter techniques.

Im sorry if the video isnt of any help!

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

this is stupid but when wearing all the sparring gear does it distract your view? and is the gear heavy? i am so interested in sparring and i cannot wait to start it! and if you could provide me with anymore info on sparring i would really appreciate it thanks! :)

Anytime you wear protection it will affect your movement and vision. In TKD it is also important to use various types of sparring (do a search under sparring for clarification). Sometimes you will wear no pads... better natural movement and quickness but unable to use a lot of power. Full pads restricts you but will allow you to use more power and get used to hitting and being hit hard. There is a lot between as well... like some nights, you might just wear gloves and headgear... to work your hands and so on...

hello does anyone do WTF olympic style Sparring? in 2 months or 3 i will be doing sparring and i was wondering if you have any helpful tips you can give me?

The other posters gave some good tips. Here's some of mine (if they repeat... they probably bear repeating in my opinion).

(1) Keep your hands up (don't let them hang, don't grab your pants and all that while sparring). Keep your hands closed loosely and try not to block open handed (unless you are going for grabs oir using palm blocks... which you'll get into later).

(2) Keep your eyes open and figure wear the best place to watch is. For me, I watch the midsection in an unfocused way... I let my periphal vision watch for punches, kicks, and othe rmovement. Othe rpeople watch the eyes, some the hands, etc. Practice with a buddy and figure out what works best for you.

(3) Practice good breathing when moving, striking, and such. Remember to breathe when tense!

(4) Practice your footwork... changing stance and circular escapes from the route of power. Try to fight in a circle and not allow an opponent to back you striaght up (into a wall).

(5) (Related) Try not to block all the time. Instead get out of the way (less energy) and counterattack. Blocking when not absolutely necessary can be a waste of energy and can lead to injuries... plus it take time... time that could be used to strike.

(6) Practice your basics... then turn them into combinations.

(7) Use your hands. Jabs to keep the opponent at bay and reverse punches (or crosses) into legal targets for damage. Make them fear your punches.

(8) If the person wants to charge in and "bull" you, use the circular evades to keep out of range until they tire or you see an opening.

(9) If the opponent wants to fight close (esp. hands), keep your distance and kick them. If the opponent wants to keep you in kicking range, move in close and use your hands.

(10) Never stop learning and practicing. Get a partner and run through slow sparring, fast sparring, and sparring where you each work a technique on each other before and after class. Carefully watch other students spar and try to pick up techniques.

(11) Develop a few counters that work for you and practice them until they are second nature. Some examples for me: turning back kick counter to opponent's roundhouse kick, Lead leg "jamming" side kick as they come in, 45 degree step out turning back kick/sidekick/or axe kick.

Good Training!

14. surgingshark

True...but remember, you can also fake it. Faking it or not, it's led many a person to RUN straight into a kick to the face :) Overconfidence KILLS, baby!

I remember the first time I did a roundhouse to an elbow. I haven't performed a roundhouse ever since :'( It's rather traumatizing...

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Exaggerating your level of tiredness or overall pain is ok I guess, but don't fake an injury, you lose points for that.

A guy in my studio got kicked in the elbow. It's been swollen for like 3 months now. Apparently he was kicked in just the right spot. (That's what the doctor told him)

2 good things to do when sparring begginers is kihap when they try and attack you. I know it always freaked me out when someone did that, and it's so fun to do against others :)

And second, if you are one of those people that looks at the other person's eyes, look like you want to kill that person. And dont' stop staring at their eyes.

PL

16. surgingshark

Something I wanted to share:

Wing Chun Guy: Eyes Can Be Decieving!
    ME: Umm...okay...
    Wing Chun Guy: *goes for sticking hands, staring at the center of my body*
    Me: *performs a left hook with the arm nearest to his head. left hook lands perfectly*
    Wing Chun Guy: Oh, (explitive)
    Me: Did I mention that I was staring at your head the whole time?

:D

17. LeadLegger

LeadLegger New Member

If you try to learn all of this before sparring, it won't help for the 1st few days because you will probably forget everything when they are kicking at you. Sparring is really different when you are watching and when you are the one doing it.

18. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Concentration is important!

Wearing all the sparring gear is not stupid, Tiger. It may look uncomfortable at first but you'll get use to it. The gear aren't that heavy. And the headgear won't distract your view. Don't worry about the sparring gear but concentrate on your opponent. When you're concentrate you won't be worrying about the spar gear.
    Oh, this is important. After you scored a point never turned your head away from your opponent. This will give him\her a chance to score back. Trust me. I've done it and I get a blow in the head. Ooouuch! Not good!!!
    And don't be sad if you didn't scored a point and the other student just didn't seem to give you chance. You'll get better and better. :love:

Good Luck!

Intan :Angel:

19. enlwlffo

enlwlffo New Member

lol im gonna get killed, assassinated, ambushed, whatever for this post.
    i agree with everything everyone is saying except one thing
    the thing about keeping your hands up to your head.
    eh..
    ive trained in olympic style sparring for quite a long time, and for me i've found that keeping my arms at my sides works better
    most people cannot kick to the head very fast, and you can dodge head hits, but the chest guard hits are what people will try to score with, and when someone kicks at you, all you need to do is twist just a little to the side and move your arm away from your side and take the hit along the arm.
    hmm...
    just read the other threads on this topic for more information

DISCLAIMER: this is just MHO

20. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

LOL. You're probably right. Obviously that's because WTF TKD rules are so abstract from real 'fighting'.