Sparring Safely

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Disaster Master, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Disaster Master

Disaster Master New Member

What techniques do exclude from sparring for safety reasons?

My list;

-Spiking
    -Applying any sub from a standing position.
    -Neck cranks, small joint manipulation, leg locks
    -Strikes to the head, neck, spine, knees, balls, foot stomps
    -Anything dirty!

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

That sort of excludes my definition of sparring!!!

3. Disaster Master

"That sort of excludes my definition of sparring!!!"

you must get hurt alot or hurt other people or both.

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Get hurt doing martial arts? yes many times. I kinda thought it went with the territory. If i didnt wanna take the risk of getting hurt i'd take up knitting.

Sparring is the place to test your skills, if youve never had anyone try and hit you in the face in training, how can you possibly hope to defend yourself against a head shot in the real world?
    There is a differnece between getting hurt and getting injured, pain never hurt anybody, for too long!! Injuries are the thing to avoid.

Need to remember the old "Martial" bit. Particulaly in relation to the forum you posted this on, submission fighting/ vale tudo (anything goes in Portuguese).

5. Disaster Master

6. Tyrant MMA

Tyrant MMA New Member

Its possible to have head shots and still be safe in sparring.
    If you use gloves like the Twins Grapple/strike sparring glove and don't go to hard then it shouldn't lead to any real damage.

As for subs surely just getting the lock on lightly is enough to let your sparring partner know he has been owned.

7. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I won't even spike in competition, much less in sparring. A good slam will do me just fine. I spar with leglocks, but we are careful with the heelhooks. We do all manner of strikes, but try to refrain from killing eachother.