sparring partners 2

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by DeeTee, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

That would be splendid! If you do come, I may bring my brother and a friend (they are Estel Authorion and Shuyun3, respectively on this forum). They also believe in sparring. I hope you aren't disapponted with me, though, because I am the only one among us not formally trained; rather, I learned sparring with my brother, so am a bit self-taught. They have trained in Lightning Arnis and other Japanese or Chinese sword styles. I could hold my own against them, but I also know that it is a very different thing getting used to an individual's personal style and being able to do it in real life. So I may not present much of a challenge to you, but I am still more than willing to "have a go at it". It is, after all, a really effective way to learn to be effective.

By the way, I'm not Pax. I end with "Pax" because it's latin for "Peace", based on "Qui desiderat pacem, prepaeret bellum" (He who desires peace, prepare for war). I should have done that in italics. My name is Joy.

Pax.

Joy. :love:

2. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

And Joy is a dude and definitely straight. Well i'm not really so lofty in my escrima skills i haven't had time to train much. But i do practice and compare notes whenever i can with Gryphon and his bro. I might just be able to invite a dude whose wanted to spar with me for quite sometime. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to join.

We've been using live sticks and get pretty welted from it and get busted fingernails in the end.

I wouldn't mind getting like that again (hehehe).

Please, do come.

3. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi Shuyun3,

More lessons can be learnt from even a few sessions sparring live sticks and no armour than can be taught in a multitude of formal classes. Namely just how much red horse or ginebra one needs to consume to dull the pain!!

Thanks for the invite, I am looking forward to meeting up with you guys and exchanging thumb nails!

4. Jax

Jax New Member

If your ever coming near or past birmingham i would love to go a few round with you. I normally use padded stick with no armour, theres quite allot of people around here to spar with my garden is perfect for it aswell :)

Welcome to stop by anytime just lemmie know :D

5. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply an offer.

I'll be up in Birmingham soon for Seni. Maybe we can arrange a time to get together then and put a few rounds in. Maybe we can mix it up a bit and spar a few rounds padded stick and a few rounds live, no armour or hand guards. Let me know what you think.

It certainly seems like the Midlands has become the new Mecca for training and you appear well situated. London has become pretty quiet in recent years. In the meantime, if you're ever down south, look me up.

6. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

DT

Check out John Harveys' site, he's running low armour / no armour full contact bouts throughout the year, www.kapatiran-arnis.co.uk, and check the calendar page for the next one, I spoke to him last night and he said your welcome to come along. His contact details are on the site, if you don't already have them.

I agree with you on the direction the arts seem to be taking, a lot of people seem to be under the impression that being able to do a drill really fast is the be all and end all of the FMA's, and not seeing them for what they are, a teaching tool.

Neil

7. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info.

DT

8. Jax

Jax New Member

was just reading that web site neil posted and came across this -

April 24/25th. SENI martial arts exhibition to be held at the NEC, Birmingham

is this what you are coming upto birmingham to do?

what is this event consist of i might try to go if i can.

9. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

http://www.senishow.com/

Not really an event, more of a showcase for current styles avaialable in the UK, plus stalls etc to buy equipment, meet people etc

Neil

10. Jax

Jax New Member

oh i am sooo there :D

my eskrima trainer (krishna) got a team there he aint mentioned nothing to me yet...biyatch

11. Jax

Jax New Member

hey deetee whats your msn, closer the time we can arrange a bit of sparring or summit?

12. diablo despacio

diablo despacio New Member

North, East, South or West, it doesn't matter to me. An hour and a half to 2 hours in either direction is ok. Maybe I should change tactics and offer to pay!!![/QUOTE]

I'M UP FOR SOME SPARRING :D

13. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi diablo,

Thanks for the call. Yeah, still in South London right opposite the Brixton Hilton.

It was good to catch up with you again after so long. Once the Christmas break is out of the way we'll sort something out. In the meantime have a good Christmas.

Doug

14. diablo despacio

Yeah doug twas nice would definately be up for catching up in the new year would like to pick yer brains about some topics ?

neil :D

15. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

".....would like to pick yer brains about some topics ?"

No problem - shouldn't take too long but please feel free!

I spoke to Stef in Brighton this evening. He said he'll call you soon.

16. diablo despacio

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hey Dee Tee,

Just noticed this thread, If your ever up in Yorkshire, call me, we can always share a few beers and a few bruises.

And if I'm ever down south, I'll give you the nod.

regards

Pat

18. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Hi DeeTee
    I've never done any escrima in my life, but I'm up for learning anything so if you ever want to come to Rochester on a wednesday morning I really want to learn about sparring and stick fighting (even if I do keep getting battered by all the people I train with so far lol)
    Cheers
    N

19. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the offer. I look forward to meeting up you at some point wherever and whenever that may be. Even if it's only to clarify and expand on some of the stories exchanged recently in our PM's.

Keep well.

Doug

20. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi N,

thanks very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, i work Monday - Thursday and teach on Fridays. I hope you are able to locate a good instructor soon and that the bruises go down in time for him to replace them! Welcome to FMA!

All the best.

Doug