Sparring in martial arts.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 8limbs38112, Apr 6, 2014.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

What is the difference between heavy sparring and full contact sparring?

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

For "full contact sparring", you will need to have all the body protection equipment.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ798XR6vM4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ798XR6vM4[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

In all the places I've trained, Heavy Sparring has always been defined as throwing hard shots, but not trying to hurt somebody or take them out of sparring due to injury. Full Contact Sparring is sparring like you were in a fight. You don't do Full Contact Sparring often as the potential for injury is high. Heavy Sparring you do a bit more, but medium/light sparring happens the most.

4. 8limbs38112

Should I stay away from places that only do light sparring.

5. Ero-Sennin

Some sparring, even if light, is better than no sparring.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think that depends on your goals and preferences.

7. 8limbs38112

I want to be good enough to be able to beat the snot out of most all people who don't train in martial arts. I don't care about competing in sports against other martial artists. @philosiraptor

Although I might spar other martial artists for fun, if I meet any,

Oh and btw

Let me add, I don't want to beat the snot out of anyone, I just want to have the ability to. Just didn't want to give off the wrong idea.

8. philosoraptor

Light sparring's probably fine then. Personally, these days I only grapple and that's generally enough to destroy someone who doesn't do martial arts (provided they don't have a weapon, three dozen friends, voodoo powers and the ground isn't covered in lava or AIDS needles). No full contact sparring involved.

9. 8limbs38112

Thanks. I guess I will be training with the Sifu then.

10. Ero-Sennin

Dude, when the ground is covered in AIDS needles it is just the worst isn't it? I HATE when that happens!

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Wouldn't it have made more sense to ask this on the thread already discussing your various choices for a school to go to?

Now that discussion is going to be scattered amongst two threads? umm, confusing............

Look at all your options, then compare the various factors - both positive and negative. Then, make the best choice of whatever options you have.

Of the three choices you have explored so far, this is the only one that has ANY sparring- right? And one of the other places has a scetchy reputation with some fake Dim Mak no touch stuff right? And the other one you didn't like the vibe of, right? That would be the place talking about their techniques being "too deadly"???????

So, if it was limited to those three places, then light sparring is going to be better than no sparring or not joining anything and getting NO TRAINING anywhere. So, there you go. But if you can find a place with heavier sparring and has other factors that you like, then it might be a better choice.

12. 8limbs38112

Thanks aaradia. I completely understand what you are saying. The reason I am so hellbent on training with sifu is because it is pretty close by a 5 minute drive, while all the other places are on the other side of town. But maybe your right, I should look at more options. I guess Ill call some more karate places that I wrote down.

13. philosoraptor

On the upside, it's only a problem once and after that you can ignore it.

14. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Also try sites like dojo locator. Sometimes they have more up to date info than you can find in phone books and such.

15. 8limbs38112

Ive used dojo finder. They leave out a lot of places. Google works a lot better.

16. Ero-Sennin

True, true. There's always a silver lining right?

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

By training with Sifu, do you mean the Pak Mei place?

And this is part of what I mean by other factors coming into play and weighing all the factors.

Say you find a place that is a long drive away and they do heavier sparring. But you end up not going there and training much because of the drive............

Well, if you are going to train more at a close by place with less than optimal sparring, but still HAS SOME sparring- then the place with lighter sparring might be better for you.

While the "too deadly" place and the no touch dim mak place show obvious warning signs, some things are not so clear cut and must be weighed with mitigating factors.

That said, if you have other options, go explore them. However (to contradict myself) if you checked out this place and like it, and don't have to make a long term commitment. you could just go there a few months. If you don't like it, then explore other options.

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

If only the same were true with roaming lava puddles.

19. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Light sparring will be absolutely fine for you then if that is what you're looking for.

And if you ever change your mind, there are a lot of open competitions that work on light contact sparring, so you'd probably fit pretty well into that area.

Besides, if you're ever worried about how hard you can hit someone, you can always buy yourself a bag or a kick shield and tie it up somewhere and hit that a few times, just to see what your technique is doing.

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Absolutely not.