Sparring help please!

Discussion in 'Karate' started by 6footgeek, May 28, 2011.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

well. 7 months in my training and i have my first rank test coming up in a week.

to the point here, i need help with sparring. the other white belts like to stick close and use hand strikes but i'm a bit more of a mid range fighter liking to utilize my kicks. But the others usually kinda rush in with punches and i end up taking blow after blow to the body, needless to say my angles while punching aren't very good so i end up taking more damage during the encounters.

I know my problem is with distancing and the fact that i slacked off training my punches.... hence my current predicament.

i need help guys. any advice on how to go about sparring in kyokushin rules?

Also
    Fred in china. you are my only hope =P

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

teeps (push kicks with the ball of the foot to around the liver or spleen) and chops to the inside of the lead leg tend to work for me for keeping the range.
    If you get to where you're comfortable hacking at the legs with intent to put them down then that's an option as I tend to see more finishes with leg kicks than body punches in Kyokushin competition.
    That and picking. Pick and chop, pick and chop. Do that all day and they won't want to punch you nearly as much. If you make them wary enough of your leg and body kicks you might try kicking them in the mouth every once in a while too. Threatening a high mae geri or mawashi geri tends to make more timid people reluctant to move in, then you can just use them to back them into a corner and get chopping. The more confident guys will cover it up and chop your standing leg or wade in and get to work though.

You also might try pairing steps to the outside with picks and leg kicks if you're not already.
    I'm not a kyokushin guy though, so it may not apply much to the way you prefer to move.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Can you teep/front kick?

4. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

yep. we aim at the solar plexus. teep style fronts are more like aimed to the pelvis near the leg and the feet pointed outward or something like that right?

I can try distancing my self like that yep. But i still need to figure out angles for close up boxing. i guess the best way for that is ba work, still, any advice?

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Just some random thoughts - you have to see what YOU can make work...

1) As they rush in try and nail them with a good strong kick to the mid-section

2) As they rush in take a large step to the side (with a pivot) and hit them in the mid-section with a roundhouse kick.

3) Fake a kick and as they rush in - see '1' above

4) Improve your punching and you be the one to rush in

5) Try '4' even if your punching sucks - get in hit fast and often and then get out - maybe with a dynamic jump backwards (then '1') or backwards and to the side (then '2')

6) This is the most important - I am assuming that you are pretty evenly matched with your sparring partners in terms of equal and sensible use of force - if so... Have fun, try different things, see what works for you and what doesn't and see what works against specific opponents - You are unique and so are each of them.

Hope that some of the above makes sense.

6. Osu,

As I remember 6ftgeek, you are kyokushin. Against rushing in fighters (especially lower ranks), several tactics work well:

FIRST and foremost, you must do an awful lot of abs and abdomen conditioning, so when your opponent strikes you, it does not matter, you can walk into his punches without taking a punishment.

- step aside of the line, turn a bit + gedan mawashi on the front of the thighs, then back in with ****a tsuki under to the ribs the elbow.
    - move forward and close the gap... they can't hit you and they'll step back; when they do that, step back too and chudan mae geri, gedan mawashi.
    - let then in and inner thigh gedan mawashi, with the knee forward on their back leg - you'll eat a couple of shots, but usually, they'll think twice before rushing in again.
    - elbows across the upper arms, with full body weight behind... that will stop some of them.
    - use your knees to their abdomen. it probably won't work, but might scare them.
    - let them in then hooks to the shoulders and upper part of the upper arm.

Moi says teep or mae geri to create diatance... that works well, but you must follow up with other techniques; at 10th kyu level, it is not so easy; but if you can, by all means, do it.

Create distance by a quick step back , then forward gedan mawashi when they move in.

Good luck on your test.

Osu!

7. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

That was the one thing i unfortunately did not do all this time. i wouldn't have been in this mess if i had just sparred more. that and a good regular partner would have helped a lot.

I'll try to be more mobile, move off if they rush in and kick with teeps. i'm tall. 6ft 2 inches. so i have loads range with my kicks. but the people near my weight are average 4-5 inches shorter than me and a LOT more buff. =(

Also, can some one tell me how to add the THIS COMMENT WAS MADE BY ****** on the quotes without having to type it???

Thanks Fred =D i'll definitely apply your advice =D

one more thing. i find it very difficult to connect with straight jabs to the chest.... any advice on angling them? or do i just wait until the guard is loose so the area is opened up?

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

In the bottom right hand corner is a blue bar with the words quote on it (near the thanks button). Click that and the persons quote will appear in a new box.

If you want to multi quote.
    Next to the quote button are some inverted commas. Click this button for every person you want to quote. End by clicking the quote button.
    So for example click the commas on Moi's post and my post and end by hitting the quote button on FredinChina's post. All will appear in your new reply box.

9. Simon

You have your first rank test coming up in a few weeks, so what you sense/coach wants to see is you trying to perform the techniques learnt in class. He/she will want an understanding of what you are doing, not your ability to dominate necessarily.
    One thing I always tell my students is to watch the get set of the opponent.
    You said you rush in and get countered. Your rush offers a massive oppertunity for that counter. Next time in class watch your sparring partner closely. Watch not the punch or kick but the get set motions. Most beginners always ready themselves for the punch or kick and this is when you should hit or move. Don't wait for the punch or kick, as soon as the thought enters the sparring partners head to hit you throw a razor sharp, poker straight jab or front kick. An alternative now you know the punch or kick is coming is to let it come and use angles or a slight move away. As soon as their technique is done and they withdraw back to guard you follow the hand or kick back and hit them while they still reset.

I call it "watch the turbines". As soon as the turbines (even the mental ones) start, you hit, angle or jam the opponent.

I keep meaning to shoot a video to describe this better. I'll try and get it done in the next couple of weeks.

10. Osu,

LOL - you are very welcome.

From a sanchi dachi with the arms half bent and extended outwardly, face the heavy bag and without retracting the arms, punch the bag turning your fists inward and downward.
    That makes for a 1 foot (30 cm) punch that will help you target the chest.

Ask your sensei to teach you ago uchi.
    Then train a fast ago uchi/****a tsuki with the same hand; the first moves the guard up, the second finds the target.

Train to throw front leg jodan mawashi - you'll need flexibility and swiftness, but when you can do that at close range, it is very effective.

Lots of work for you...
    I am 6'3" and in China, they are all shorter than I am, and protect themselves well... I am over 100Kg, and I don't mind close quarters slugging it, so that helps me a bit. :)
    When you develop a bit of power & timing, you will be able to learn to sweep your opponent under the sune uke they will raise to protect their thighs... your long legs will help.

Osu!

11. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Thanks Simon for the inverted commas explanation - I had NEVER noticed them, let alone figured out what they might be for - Useful to know :)

12. Simon

Really usefull for adding several quotes to one post, such as I have done here.

Took me ages before I figured it out myself.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

TEEP, TEEP, TEEP!!!

also teep :p

14. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

What is teep?

15. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

I like roundhousing hard to the legs a couple times to setup a rhythm that they're going to want to check the next time you execute. When you anticipate the check, pivot off your lead like you're going to throw the same roundhouse but don't throw it; instead, turn into the kick so your side is facing them and then hit them with a hard side kick in the torso.

It helps in escaping if they try the classic check > cross counter because you can use your kick to push away from them, and it also helps is confusing them because now they're going to be wary about checking your roundhouses but also very protective of their midsection.

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Maegeri kekomi, for the JMAists.

17. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Thanks for all the advice guys. i've noted everything down on paper and practicing it all with some shadow boxing. gonna work on the bag in my club come monday =D

18. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

hey guys! i passed my test!

It was long and tough. made me realize that i need to work a WHOLE LOT more on my fitness than technique.

Fight went awesomely. i side stepped well following up with gedan mawashi's to the back of the leg, even got a couple of jodan mawashi geris in. *Though they were barely slaps on my opponents pride =(*

I also got my left thigh beat up =P its still swollon =P but all in all i'm glad, and obviously disappointed at the lack of my fitness.

Thank you for the help guys! love yall. =D

19. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Don't be disappointed in your lack of fitness! Be happy that you've been made aware of what you need to work on!

And, of course, congratulations!