Sparring Gloves

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by KaliKuntaw, Dec 15, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I bought a nice new spiffy set of Title gloves.
    They feel great and fit well.
    Since im a little guy the sizing chart said to buy 12oz joints.
    Well, i find out that in the smoker fights I will have to wear 16 oz gloves.....grrr!
    So, i went to a club that gave me some crispy brand new 16oz gloves. Very cool fit nice construction, so I will rock with them in training.

I am wondering if i should pick up some heavier gloves to train with though.
    I over think things very often but id rather be over prepared than be sucking wind in the ring.

What weight gloves do you spar with? Fight with?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The weight wont be such an issue. Bigger gloves = fewer sparring injuries, but smaller gloves work your defence more, since the gloves will cover less of your face when you're covered up.

3. holyheadjch

4. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

i appreciate the idea that there would be less injuries with the larger gloves but I have used fingerless gloves for many years. It seems odd to have so much poof on my hands...lol

The smoker fights require 16 oz gloves so it is not up to me which size to use.
    But for training, heavier would seem smarter to help push the conditioning.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  5. holyheadjch

It's a very small difference when you consider the overall weight of your arm. I don't ever really remember thinking 'wow, these 16s are feeling really heavy today'

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I assume by smoker fights you mean Interclubs.

Bigger sized gloves equals better defence (trust me, in Muay Thai, when you're throwing knees and elbows into the equation this makes a lot of difference) but can be harder for clinch work. However the weight of the glove doesn't always mean the glove is bigger. My Fairtex Pride aren't that different in size between the 16oz and 10oz versions (one of my instructors has the same pair at 10oz). There is also a noticeable size difference between these and other brands such as Twins or Sandee.

In general it's better to train with heavier gloves as it helps build up the speed and strength of your punches. You won't appreciate it at first, but after about a year of training with 16oz gloves, then trying a 10oz pair for a session you would quickly realise just what difference they make.

Out of interest what brand are you using now?

7. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I had garbage gloves for a while, then I bought the 12oz Title Classics.
    My 16's are a house brand one of the gyms I train in.
    There is no brand name visible.
    I just says 8 Limbs Muay Thai.

8. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I stand corrected, the gloves 8 limbs gave me are PROMAUSA brand.