Sparring gear questions.

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Falcord, May 6, 2012.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

4 different headguards on display here.

L-R:
    High Gear, Blitz, Spartan, High Gear, Blitz, Kudo, High Gear, High Gear

Best for eye protection from gouges: Spartan, Kudo & High Gear
    Best shock absorption: Spartan
    Best for grappling on the ground: Blitz
    Best for forward vision: Blitz
    Best for peripheral vision: Kudo
    Worst head protection: Kudo
    High brain shock factor: Kudo

Note the small mma gloves. Anything larger and you can't grab properly. The larger the glove the less realistic the guard.

Attached Files:

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

well thats what I said, most mma sparring gloves are huge even ones with a decent brand on them. These are actually tiny compared to most iv had on.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

My Kung Fu guys wear the Kuoshu type headguards (like JWT suggested), 7oz MMA sparring gloves and shin-instep pads (obviously cup and mouthpiece too).
    Tout, if they're looking to explore Kung Fu applications then they will be doing a lot of dirty boxing and open hand work.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I've acctually sparred with the ones on the bottom, they're not that big, I could still work under hooks etc with them, then again I'm used to living with my freakish bear paw hands so might have an advantage there.

Could be worth checking out Nevada rules MMA gloves, they're 7oz, some of that is hammer fist, thumb and ridge hand padding so they may be ideal, Nevada rules fight have some really exciting ground work and the gloves don't seem to get in the way, I'll have a wee looksie if I can find some on the web.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member