Sparring: Favourite Techniques...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Helm, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Helm

Helm New Member

Ok, i just just wondering what your favourite techniques were for attacking and counter-attacking.
    This can be for either WTF or ITF, but you must choose an attack you would commit yourself to against an opponent you have not sparred against before.

Attack: Switch stance (skipping slightly forward) if they dont move, double half turning.

Counter Attack: Front-leg pit kick to head (like a chopping kick where you bring the leg up bent) bring it up straight to the cheek, snapping my opponents head back. Love this one =)

Both my attack and my counter-attack are 'safe moves'.

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

not competition sparring i guess...
    then
    freindly sparring:
    i'll prefer the idea of "let him attack first, but u should hit him first"
    so it's like pre emptive striking, interception, is my favorites i know these r not techniques but frankly even myself don't know what i gonna do against my oppnt...
    -TkdWarrrior-

3. Labatt

Labatt New Member

There's too much faking going on in sparring these days. It gets ridiculous. I remember the good ol days, when we would just go at it, no mind games, just going crazy on each other.

NE way, I admitt Im into the head games and fakes too.

Switch stance twice, make sure your your back leg is your good leg and go for a a back kick. You will open your self up, but if you keep your hands up, move back, you can catch your opponent in a mistake.

I don't know why ppl only go for roundhouses for counters for back kicks. Use a back kick for a counter. They will never expect it! Think about it, your opponent is usualy covering his chest and abs, leaving his face open. Execute with a quick and powerful back kick to the head.

4. Helm

Helm New Member

Yeah, i like changing stance a few times then throwing the back kick, its damn good.

I've back-kicked people in the head a few times, totally by accident.
    I also like to block others' back-kicks by bringing up my leg and putting it on their back, so they cant get the full rotation on the kick, its amazing.

Yeah, theres loads of faking in sparring, not enough commital. Coming out blasting in the first round always scares people =D

5. Labatt

Labatt New Member

That's what I do in tournaments. They never expect it!

Don't you just hate it when you kick a harsh roundhouse and ur opponent blocks it with his elbow?

OUUUUUUUUUUCH! That hurts like a b!tch! So painful, yet im used to it so much, it dosn't effect me. The adreanaline takes over.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

lol! I am not much experienced in TKD, but I sure am familiar with that feeling :D

|Cain|

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

OUUUUUUUUUUCH! That hurts like a b!tch! So painful, yet im used to it so much, it dosn't effect me. The adreanaline takes over.
    u havn't been here dude :D our fighters r expert in elbow blocking ;)
    -TkdWarrior-

8. Helm

Helm New Member

Yes! i hate that sooo much, last tournament i went to i could only use my left leg in my last fight because my right had a big black bruise right on the joint. Hurt like hell.

9. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I need some leg bads that cover my ENTIRE foot. If there is such a thing.

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

there r shin pads which r designed specifically for this purpose :D
    -TkdWarrior-

11. Cain

Cain New Member

Just a tip I thought might be useful to deal with that nasty elbow blocking -

I assume that this happens when they block your mawashi geris with their elbows, I will simply refer to this kick as a snap kick for the sake of my poor fingers :D

Ok, now I notice that this kind of thing mostly happens when you kick to the ribs, where their elbows naturally exist, here most people after chambering their kick shoot it out in an upward slanting motion hence the elbow hurtin' you,

But if you shoot out the snap kick from the side then to block the kick they would have to reposition their elbow, thus making it look deliberate, anyways, I dunno if elbow blocking is legal here.....

Same thing when the head is the target, after chambering, bring the kick so that it shoots out from the side rather than an upward slanting motion, so that again he will have to reposition his elbow, forcing him to bring his arm up.......may not work everytime but it's worth a try...........but maybe this tip sux, since I am no taekwondoist :D

|Cain|

12. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Elbow blocking is legal . . . but not. It's kinda a grey area, but as soon as the foot comes above the waist it can be a target. If there's "accidental" contact between the elbow and the instep it's typically regarded as just an occurance that happens in the ring. As long as it isn't blatant and meaning to injury the person usually it won't be penalized.

I "accidently" broke a fellows foot, doing this and it truly was an accident . . . bugger still continued the match and beat me though. How's that for guts.

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<I "accidently" broke a fellows foot, doing this and it truly was an accident . . . bugger still continued the match and beat me though. How's that for guts.>
    he must hav ****ed off to the point :D

cain nice idea but it's worthless IMO
    cuz normally TKDist normally use this kick as a intiaters, if u use high kick as opening move then chance is that u get KO by ur oppnts counter(a good counter is Hook kick, seen jaw broken by those :D crap !!!)
    first thing is u should open up ur oppnt's stance(it's closed when their elbows r proctecting their ribs), i'll prefer using my hands to open them up. anyways i m not much of sparrer...

-TkdWarrior-

14. Cain

Cain New Member

Actually it's illegal in here to grab the opponent's arms and set the apart, I prefer going inside and givin' a few solid punches to their torsos forcing the buggers to stick their arms to their torsos which they call as 'guards' :rolleyes:

A few punches to their forearms that way and it will easily be swollen making them think twice b'fore blockin' next time :yeleyes:

|Cain|

15. Cain

Cain New Member

but then of course u hv to go in with caution othewise u could get quite a few kicks in ur face in ur way to ur opponent.

Seriously speaking it's quite hard to get to ur opponent in punching range.......the infamous straight blast may be the answer here......

|Cain|

16. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Favourite???

Jumping spinning turning kick, I just love it.

Not the most efficient though only use it to show of....like the 360 that's only come off twice!!

Counter: Back kick, back.... also a big fan of sucking it up and going for the straight blast.... fight fire with fire.

17. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Yeah u gotta love the mad kickin techniques that u would never use on the streets. I pulled off a reverse spinning turning kick a few weeks ago and caught my sparring partner right between the shoulder blades. which I thought was quite good coz iam about 5'9" and hes about 6'6".

I think to pull these kinda techniques u have to fit it in during a combo. When I pulled this one off I slipped outside his right cross and followed with a left legged round kick from southpaw then followed with the right reverse turning kick.

18. Helm

Helm New Member

One time i kicked a 6'8 guy in the head (im 5'7) damn that was nice.
    I LOVE getting headshots, wheelkicks are nice, they hardly ever work because you gotta be loose to throw a good one and when im sparring and throw one im always off-balance.
    But chopping kicks are damn good, impossible to block, and you can bring them up real fast, try a chopping (axe kick) next time you spar.

19. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Easy there tiger........

They are also very good at making you vurnerable if your guy is crazy enough to come charging at you firing off punches!

Also if you miss you are left quite flat footed... :(

20. johndoch

johndoch upurs

My favorite sparring techniques are the ones that work;)