Sparring dissapointments

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Galahad, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Galahad

Galahad New Member

Hi all. I have not sparred much, barely beginning. The first times it was all somewaht confusing and i only did a round, then I did three rounds another time, much better but then another time after that I was feeling all confused and very "beginner" again.
    Is this usual or am I exceptionally bad? How can I get better or deal with my dissapointment with myself?

Thanks!

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi and welcome to MAP :D

There's a simple cure - time and experience.

Log another 100 rounds then re-evaluate

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Don't judge sparring on the fact that you've done 4 rounds. Give it some time, and see how you feel about it.
    Its not for everyone, and can be pretty hard for a beginner to get to grips with.

Keep at it (and welcome to the forum) :)

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well, I'm exceptionally bad at sparring, just keep trying and do what you have to do to keep your skills at the level your required for your training.

5. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

One of the first times I "stepped" in with headgear...I got knocked out...it threw me off to have that thing hanging on my head! ha ha

Take your time and work basics until you feel a little more comfy...

Jab, front kicks...

Actually, when it comes right down to it...the best fighters are masters of the basics...they set up with basics...and then basically kick your butt...ha ha

Bulldog

6. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Welcome to MAP.

First time sparring is always an eye opener.

It takes time to get comfortable in a sparring situation...so relax and spar everytime you get the opportunity.

7. Skinneh

Skinneh Skinny Theif Ninja Spy

How long did you train before you began to spar ?

8. Sun Hwang

Sun Hwang Train to eat,Eat to train

Sparring can be overwhelming at first, especially if the person you're sparring is significantly higher level than you, then it's just unfair. If the person is sparring you and you just started out they shouldn't go all out, and should also give some helpful poitners as well.

9. bbcb_98

bbcb_98 New Member

I love sparring now but man was it rough at the beginning.

When I started sparring I was completely overwhelmed and to be honest very frustrated. The aggressive guys with less technical skill than me were dominating me. As I fought more and more my head was able to sort through what was going on much quicker. At that point the individual skills and some quickness on my part was able to come through. The first time everything really came together for me was when my instructor went for a jab (who has a great one) and I planted a beautiful side kick right in his ribs. Hit him hard enough that we called it a day right after that. Sure he kept beating me everytime we sparred but after that I could really tell the gap was closing. As a few more weeks went by the guys that used to dominate me could no longer just bulldog me into submission.

I still think about that kick (which was years ago now) when I get frustrated and wonder if I am going to get something or not.

Hang in there most of us have been in your situation.