Sparring and Sideways Avoidance

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Freeform, Nov 19, 2002.

1. cjw314

cjw314 New Member

So I'm standing left foot forward, att swings right jab, I step back(right) foot to the left, TWIST my core/trunk around, like in prep for a spinning backfist?, or just dodge/lean around the punch to get @ 'the blind side'?

Anyone got 3DSMax / Poser loaded up? LOL. :)

I'm looking forward to using this next time I spar with the fellow whitey in my class. . . :grin:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Gotcha
    Either will do. I think. corrections, yoda?

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

If he's throwing a right jab then you are in mis-matched leads. That changes the whole scenario. In that case you want to step to the left with your lead (left) foot and throw your counter jab over his.

4. cjw314

cjw314 New Member

Duly noted - although that's not what I meant.

I'm thinkin KE 'made it click' for me;
    I've tried it a few more times (in a room away from co-workers -yeah, im @ work on sat) - and it feels a little better. practice, practice. :)

:edit: and holy shizzle! I had never noticed yer post count until KE referred to you for correction - that's INSANE!!!! :/edit:

5. animefreak88

animefreak88 Valued Member

i'll agree its almost always better to move to catch the opponent's blind side, and i've gotten a little better at it, but i'm much better at coming in, which is why i currently prefer that option.

6. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Joe Frazier utilized this very effectively, and it might work for anyone who likes to attack head on. Basically, you fly straight at your opponent, bobbing and weaving, up and down, while keeping your hands up. If you can catch your opponent by surprise, he will panic, and when he throws his punches, you can just weave through them. It's not great against kicks, but if you feel confident, it's a good method to throw off your opponent's game.

7. Mawa

Mawa New Member

Knight_Errant quote: ”Ideally you want to move up onto his blind side - the left part of his back, assuming he's an orthodox fighter and facing half towards you.”

Yeah, but not only the left side. Let’s say he does a right kick, then he’s right suddenly becomes the closest to me so then I move to that side. The quickest way to the blind spot is moving around the side that are closest to me.

YODA quote: ”Sounds feasible. As with any defence it's a mistake to do it too often - I can see you eating left hook if you do that once too often ”

That’s sure possible, but the idea is to block his attack first, then you move around him the short moment he has missed his attack. Or you move around him like a part of a combination or something. But you shouldn’t just do it from scratch – then you’ll end up eating left hooks!

Cjw314 quote: ”So I'm standing left foot forward, att swings right jab, I step back(right) foot to the left, TWIST my core/trunk around, like in prep for a spinning backfist?, or just dodge/lean around the punch to get @ 'the blind side'?”

Both are possible, as long as you find a blind spot. The idea is to block his attack and circle around that side (if he attacks with left you move around his left side), because that is the most simple way to place yourself behind him. From there you can ”chain-attack”, then he will have trouble!

Regards
    - Marcus Wallén
    Ashihara Karate Sabaki-Do
    Sweden

8. Rurounin

Rurounin New Member

It is the stupidity of competition!! All that is trainned is speed and strenght! The worst part is that most of the times, not even that is done well! A wonderfull example or round movements is Sensei Hitoshi Kasuya, head of WSKF!! He is a delightfull sight in Kumite!
    But i believe the error begins in basic trainning, where Kihon is seen as linear, and Kihon ippon kumite is done the same way!!

So, if most people train since white belt this linearity, it would be a bit difficult to change!! Not impossible, but very difficult!

9. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

Yeah, I noticed that. Come to think of it, that's one of the major differences I've experienced between Wado Ryu and Shotokan. Wado Ryu does seem to train a lot more sideways movement while in Shotokan I've always been taught to drive forward in a linear way.

Of course I'm sure there's strengths in both approaches - I'm just a bit biased as I've been training in Wado Ryu for longer than Shotokan so I understand the systems and theories behind it better... :)

10. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

Because Im quite small tend to use sideway switch steps to quickly dodge. But otherwise yes, I have noticed most people career head on and can often leave good openings for those who use fast side steps

11. Shisochin

Shisochin New Member

In Goju-Ryu we are taught to go straight in, diagnally and sideway. Not just linear. Sidestepping and attacking from the side is very effective. When i practised Shotokan, that was all head on, i have to admit. GoJu is different form most karate style IMHO.

12. powerof0ne

powerof0ne Valued Member

hah

When I think about it when I was a shodan and below in ****o ryu I mostly sparred/fought head on. I think what cured me of this was doing 2 years of Aikido. Many styles of karate(Enshin, Ashihara etc.) advocate "sabaki"/tai sabaki/blind spotting, etc. Good schools of Muay Thai advocate the same thing..just like anything doing these kind of tactics have there time and place. I for one am against bobbing and weaving in any type of competition that allows kicking and kneeing. I've seen too many people get ko'd bobbing and weaving when the opponent throws a body kick or a knee. If I was to ever enter boxing I would do poorly because I trained myself not to bob and weave. That's just my own philosophy..it doesn't mean that there are other fighters in the world that can't bob & weave effectively in muay thai and related competition.

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Bobbing and Weaving wer'nt designed for that, more for avoiding blows to the face while still staying in range, trying to bob or weave when someone is throwing a kick towards your torso is'nt exactly something I would do ;)

|Cain|

14. powerof0ne

powerof0ne Valued Member

wow...

umm no kidding..it happens during combinations. When I've seen people bob and weave and get ko'd by a knee or a body kick it was because a combination was thrown. Most of the time in Muay Thai or any of these fights combinations are thrown usually starting with the hands. That's why people accustomed to bobbing and weaving get into a "boxing" mode and start to bob and weave. The person throwing the knee or body kick wasn't expecting there opponent to bob and weave right into it. I have a friend that was just defending his title a few mo nths back and made this mistake against someone he outclassed. This is just one of the many times I've seen someone bob and weave and pay for it in competition allowing knees and kicks.
    So thanks for your powers of observation on telling me that's not what bobbing and weaving were made for; I can now sleep better at night knowing that.

15. karate_fiend

karate_fiend New Member

in my karate style we do a lot of slips covers ducks stone walls etc etc and things like that. and we do a lot of linear and side to side movements.

16. Cain

Cain New Member

It's ok, I misunderstood :D

|Cain|

17. oddTKD

oddTKD Valued Member

Ugh...there's a black belt in my shotokan club who insists on trying to spar from a very deep front stance, and just sort of stumbles backwards if he can't block...it's kinda sad when a white belt can soundly and easily beat a black belt. Our instructor does teach us some sidestepping, but there's almost NO footwork.

granted, I'm a white belt with a BB in a different art and 8 years training...

18. kickass

kickass I AM THE 11th COMMANDMENT

is anyone here familiar with frame shifting? i'm not very informed on it but it seems useful for getting around your opponent.

19. Mawa

Mawa New Member

What is "frame shifting"?
    (sorry, but my english isn't great....)

20. kickass

kickass I AM THE 11th COMMANDMENT