Sparring A Girl

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by paulbrec, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

This is pretty OT but I was talking with a mate about self defence classes last week (trying to recruit for JWT's sessions :p) and I was wondering if the rise in female youth violence is because they know there's this stupid notion you shouldn't hit them? Ignoring yob violence, women in general to me seem more willing to confront someone they don't know and argue with them and I wonder if they'd be as willing if they thought the way I have to which is "he's being a douche but I don't fancy having my brains decorating that wall"

Also epic moment just because I want to share :p
    Me and my mum were in a cornershop once and this group of chavs were kicking a ball at the shop window and shouting racism at the owner. My mum was talking to the guy at the counter about it saying how bad the youth of today were etc and I made a point of telling her not to say anything because I had to walk through the area a lot. Her answer? "I'm not scared of them, I pay my taxes" I love my mummy :D

2. Southpaw535

My cupping comment was about things like the guard. That's actually one I don't mind guys feeling awkward about. It is an awkward thing to be confronted with until you realise you're either holding the lapels or your hands are high up. There's no time your hands are anywhere that you'd come away from a date feeling happy about getting them there.

As for it being no better for women there's no move that would involve you lot putting your hands near my junk. When I get my black belt I'm inventing that move. In the name of equality of course.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  3. righty

righty Valued Member

What you need to know is that your opinion IS sexist. Sure you can keep quiet about it and not act on it but that doesn't change the fact that it is sexist. And you might not think you are acting on it, but chances are you are somewhere, sometime.

You owe it to yourself and other to try and change your thinking. It's not 'just one of your things' it's a thought and opinion that you have. And this can be changed.

While I can understand a similar attitude towards women training, there is no excuse for those who have been training over a couple of weeks, especially with women involved. There is no reason that this social conditioning cannot be changed.

4. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Whether you think it's wrong is neither here nor there. The feelings of 'wrongness' are your issue not hers, and you need to own it. The fact that you brought up attractiveness is pretty damn inappropriate too - she's not there to be attractive, she's there to learn a skill. Do you really think attractiveness should rate higher than her wishes and her learning process? Really? Sorry for the harshness but it's selfish and entitled of all hell to think someone you don't even know should be putting attractiveness higher than her own wishes.

She's an adult. You may feel, privately, that it's wrong, but it's not your business to decide for her what is 'wrong'. She has a right to learn, and it's not fair of you to make a sparring session unproductive for her because of your opinions about what women should or shouldn't be doing.

5. Southpaw535

I have theorised that the solution is to make it so all men must punch women at random in public. You get over this stupid social opinion AND you increase people's awareness skills.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm all for equality... :evil: :Angel:

Agreed! When I said I understand guys being uncomfortable, I do, however I respect the ones that acknowledge that it is their problem to overcome and not blame the women or disrespect her for training. Social conditioning can and should be changed, but I accept it can be an issue for some guys, albeit one that they need to get over.

7. Southpaw535

How much do you weigh again? I need someone my size for demonstrations ;)

8. 7heTexanRebel

7heTexanRebel Valid Member

I was raised that you "don't hit a girl under any circumstances" (which I find absolutely absurd.) and to be a gentleman and respect women
    I'm not particularly comfortable hitting women, however I would never refuse to spar a woman, that, IMO, would be disrespectful since you're hurting their training.

9. Frodocious

400lbs...

Oops, damn it, revealed my secret... ;) :D

10. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I would actually be cool with weighing 400 lbs. :D

11. Southpaw535

I also need to prove bjj works on people of any size :p

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Oh damn... I ain't sparring you anytime soon! :eek:

13. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

How did you get up to 400 lbs, Frodo?

Roids?

Can I have some? Please? Please??? Please? *offers you a lorryload of various cakes*

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i think it WAS the cake!

either that or she meant grams :p

15. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Aw. Poo.

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There's a lot of young officers I meet who have the same misconceptions about never wanting to hurt a female. After their first fight with one, they tend to change their opinions quickly. Any kind of hesitation in a real fight is a chance for your opponent to get one over you and, male or female, they have a chance of seriously injuring and/or killing you with that chance.

A good article that's worth some reading: http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/1877110-Female-suspects-They-CAN-hurt-you/

My own philosophy is if you act like a lady, I'll treat you like one. But, if you want to fight me like a man, I'll oblige. This does not make me a woman beater by any means and I have never nor will ever lay a hand on Mrs. Kuma no matter how infuriated I get with her. This is stricly for a fight in which I have no option to escape. In that case, man or woman, old or young, whatever skin pigmentation you desire, I don't care. I'm going home that night. Stand in my way, and you might not be.

17. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I on the flipside have no problem sparring with girls. It's like a switch in my head I flick when I'm training. When I was training my ex-girlfriend for her fight a couple years back I knocked her silly one night. We were going out at the time but the way I saw it, if she got into the ring WITHOUT that kind of training I was only getting her hurt when it actually mattered.

18. Frodocious

D'oh! You're right, I meant grams! Oops! :evil: :Angel: :D

Which is the right attitude in my opinion.

Be truthful now, that's because Mrs Kuma is far more scary than Mr Kuma (and in charge of everything)! ;) :D

19. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Hmmm, I used to do open sparring at an all women's school (men and women sparred). Just get used to it. I always felt being professional about things helped.

As for boxing in particular, I sparred a professional women boxer that was training with us years ago. She almosted knocked me out. I took a full eight count on that one. I like the stars in the sky, not in my head.

Just like any training/sparring partner, you always hold back just a bit to protect them and yourself. Even all out is no more than 95%. Doesn't matter man or woman, you don't want to go to the hospital or send your training partners there, but at the same time, you aren't doing anyone any favors if you don't give them a challenge. IMHO.

20. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

I agree. Sparring is a learning experience. That is why I said, the person with the least experience gets more out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.