Sparing

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Fergie Boy, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

You mean I have to take off the lens cap?

I guess that explains the boo boo dragon I see everytime in my binoculars :D

|Cain|

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I play badminton. I always think martial arts is like practicing to play badminton without ever having a game. Sparring is pretty close to having a game, byt not quite there.

Just imagine if badminton players never played proper matches, but when they got "good" they spent most of their time telling others what to do. Doing exercises which people would debate if they'd actually work in a real game ;)

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

That's a pretty good analogy pg.

In baddmington you can be the aggressor but one counter can turn the tables. Its a whole different ball game with another thinking calculating opponent.

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Its probably a good game for martial arts people to play! Its the fastest racquet game, gets you moving about, and the tactics involved with the calculating opponent like you mentioned.

5. Cain

Cain New Member

I too luv Badminton :D

Guess I am a good martial artist :D

|Cain|

6. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

I used to play Badminton but the Police got too interested when my "street" atttitude lead to the death of all my opponents.

I liked to pre-empt the game by ramming the shuttlecock down my opponents throat with a perfectly placed overhand smash and then hammering it home with the racquet (techniques drawn from a vigilanty cop killing Philipino master that I met in Manilla who'd done loads of time for being a total bad-ass).

"Street" is relelvant to all sections of your life and you must be constantly vigilent...

... the other day my girlfriend tried to pre-empt my hunger by serving me dinner without me asking for it. I was ready for her and ensured that I had eaten earlier in the day. That showed her - no-one gets one over on me now I'm a "street stylist".