sp jab/hook question

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shs111, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That's fine. Not everyone who trains can break down, or explain a technique.

2. sampla

sampla Valued Member

yea, but, if a jab would be countered with a rear, then how do you counter a rear, if you can't move or duck, that is

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Step into the ring and all your questions shall be answered. Explaining things to you as far as fighting tactics go is useless since you can't imagine what's happening in the ring from experience. I'm not saying this to try and make you stop posting, questions are good, but it's like me starting a thread about quantum physics when I've only done elementary math. That's why you have so many "what if" questions. Get out there and spar man! It's not as dangerous as you think and it's also a lot of fun!

4. sampla

sampla Valued Member

:D

something is impossible

so, do you actually counter a rear, or you always block it

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you can't move or duck, you're going to get smashed. Boxing is all about movement. If someone throws a rear hand at you, you have to get out of its way.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Sampla, unfortunately you cannot have a set counter for every move. The great thing about fighting/MA is the reaction and the improvisation. Yes there are certain counters that work best but its all really about percentages in successfulness.

Otherwise my training will consist of..
    I jab
    but what if counter?
    I cross
    but what if counter?
    I counter the counter
    But what if counter the counter?
    Then I counter the counter to the counter

etc
    etc
    etc

7. sampla

sampla Valued Member

funny

when I sparred at a regular stance, rear attacks were nothing

8. holyheadjch

They're nothing until one hits you.

9. Ero-Sennin

You just stated earlier you don't spar didn't you?

10. sampla

sampla Valued Member

yea, it was a noob level, but you advance at the same time with your opponent

so, in ma opinion, rear attacks, when the fight is not against a southpaw, are strong when they are striked after the lead attack

I was blocking rear attacks easy

jab was invisible, but the most strike that owns you was a lead hook

if to compare it is like, a jab you don't see, but you don't care, but when you see a lead hook is launched, it is like you have a little time to block, but it owns you more even if you block it, then a jab that you take

11. sampla

sampla Valued Member

I sparred before

it was like a 6 non consecutive months

12. holyheadjch

If you're fighting someone good, they'll set up the big rear hand shots so you don't see them coming or you see them too late to do anything about them. You don't have to watch much boxing to see that rear hand shots are the KO shots most of the time.

13. Ero-Sennin

See, in this situation you would understand that "getting owned" by a lead hook you block isn't "getting owned" because it throws you off balance a little bit or jars you through your glove/shoulder. It's the follow up CROSS that the lead hook was used to set up that is going to own you. You would understand that if you were sparring more, and against people who know how to do stuff like that (meaning they are skilled).

Oh, and there are also a million other good punches that can be set up with a lead hook in ortho vs. south . . . . my example was just a "staple" combo : P.

14. sampla

sampla Valued Member

I never get to that sparring level

from the single attacks, most dangerous seemed, the left hook, cause once it hits you, you feel like you just woke up, like everything before was a dream

jab you can't see, you just take it, you care about the liver punches also, as they are aimed to the liver

15. sampla

sampla Valued Member

funny

but I didn't get a clear answer from you, do you actually counter a single rear attack, or you always block it

16. Ero-Sennin

You can block it, you can slip it, you can hop out of range of it, or you can counter it. Pick your poison man, there is no "you can only do this" with anything in boxing. It's all dependent on your style, what you're trying to accomplish, and what's available to you at the time during the exchange.

17. sampla

sampla Valued Member

yea, but you can work on something, that may, perhaps, work

18. Ero-Sennin

All the things I listed. Learning to use them in sparring needs to be done . . . . . . . . get ready for it . . . . . . . by sparring.

19. sampla

sampla Valued Member

I assume you block it mostly

20. Ero-Sennin

Probably the worst thing you can do, that assuming bit. Especially with a lack of experience.