Sorry, but the usual question...Should I do TKD or BJJ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by KidCanFight, Jul 24, 2005.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

Sorry to make another one of these threads.

Heres the deal. I was going to do Taekwondo, but recently saw an ad for Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. Now Im not sure which one to do. Here are some factors in my decision.

Distance - They are both the same
    Price -Probably about the same
    I would like to be a wrestler when Im older, so BJJ would be best for that.
    I have already spent some money on TKD books and magazines.
    I know some people that do TKD, but none in BJJ.
    I cant do both, as they are both on at about the same time.

What would you recommend?
    Thanks

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

If you want to be a wrestler... ...take wrestling!

But I'd say BJJ if thats not an option.

3. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

TKD striking art.

BJJ grappling.

Take classes at both schools. In a short period of time you'll know which one is better for you.

4. KidCanFight

I cant do both, as they are at basically the same time.

5. Fallen_Angel

Fallen_Angel New Member

Try switching between the two; if there is only one lesson on a week then do TKD one week and then do BJJ the other. If there is more than one lesson then do one lesson of TKD and one of BJJ.

Sorry If that doesn't help but that's what I would do.

6. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

You are still young enough that you should recover quickly and still be fairly flexible. Either are great exercise.

What is it that you want to accomplish? Tournaments? Impressing your friends? A life long study in Martial Arts? Self defense? Exercise?

Some will probably argue with my opinion here, but TKD probably has the edge in all but the self defense area. BJJ would probably be better in Self defense. There are far more tounaments you can participate in for TKD. Breaking boards and high kicks are impressive. BJJ, JJJ, Aikido, and Judo can be a little harder to practice by yourself and while impressive, your friends probably won't want you to throw them or choke them.

In your profile, you say you like wrestling. Do you want to explore BJJ to continue more of a similiar art or do want the striking and kicking of TKD to complement it? The choice is really yours. Only you can decide what really fits your goals.

7. KidCanFight

Thanks for the idea, but I dont think so. There is one lesson of each a week, but you pay monthly so I dont think I can afford both. I could consider that in a few years though.

Thanks for all that. Im mainly interested for slef defence, but It would be cool to increase my fitness and flexibility (which TKD would help with).
    As for now I dont have much intrest in tournaments.
    I will probably do TKD because a friend does and I can also practice TKD on a punching bag which I cant do with BJJ.
    Maybe in a few years I will be able to afford both.

8. microhard

microhard Valued Member

Holocaust,
    you do realize that a name like that is offensive to some people.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

go where your heart takes you. from what i gathered from your posts, you're heart is in bjj though you'd take tkd because you've got a friend taking it as well.

martial arts is a very personal matter. i advise you to look further into it and not base your decission on whether a friend is in it or not or whether you can practise alone (you can practice bjj drills alone too).

take a free lesson from both. see which one suits you better. see which instructor you feel can teach better and see whether your classmates are people you'd like to train with.

personally, based on your sentiments i'd go with bjj.

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

not sure where the fitness bit comes from, in my travels the bjj guys have been in a lot better shape than your average tkd student. rolling around on the ground trying to make people tap for hours is great cardio.

11. KidCanFight

Cool. Im kinda a bit tubby (not full on fat though, I just need to lose a bit of weight).

12. KidCanFight

Well sorry. Nazis suck.

13. samoz

samoz New Member

Did you decide which your going to do? If not, why not see if both schools will let you take 1 lesson free. Then take each schools free lesson, or just watch a normal class. If they want to charge you for your first lesson, that's probably not a good school anyways . . .

My school let me participate for the first 3 classes before I had to pay. This lets you decide if you like the art or not. Also, you will be able to afford it because you will be only taking one art; the other will just be a free lesson . . .

Id also advise you not to consider whether your friend is doing the art or not. Because what if he quits? If you were only in it because you had a friend in it, you just lost your whole reason for coming. So just make up your mind on what you want to do; besides, you'll make new friends anyways . . .

Hope all that helped :) Enjoy your MA

14. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

As a former wrestler, I can attest to the great cardio of working with people on the mat. My thought though was that TKD is better aerobics simply because you are more free to do it anywhere. I currently travel a lot (225k miles last year) with my job. I can easily do kicks at the hotel. BJJ would not work as well. But if you have the space and partner, it would easily be as good a workout as TKD.

15. KidCanFight

I think my friend is going to quit. For now, I will probably do TKD

16. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I personally practice TKD and BJJ at the same time, and I'd have to say if you want self defense, TKD isnt the "best" option, but it will work if you know how to apply, but then again, BJJ is a bit harder to defend yourself with because you practice on the ground, and yes, I realize that you can apply it standing up, but I feel TKD is a little easier to apply, but anyway onto valid points and less rambling. As far as workouts, they're both excellent. And then as far as your preferences, if you like wrestling, and you're built for it, do BJJ it's great, I wrestle for my school team and it's helped me quite a bit.

17. KidCanFight

I am 14 years old, 5'9 inches and about 154lb. Do you think that is a good build for it, as I wouldnt really know.

What I am going to do is have a few lessons at both and see what is more my thing.

18. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

HAHAHA, you live in Tasmania :D:D:D:D:D

19. HonorableGoat

HonorableGoat New Member

I'd say go for it, you don't know until you try. I get done over by people with your build all the time (granted some of them are shodan or higher), but just goes to show eh? :)

20. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I say go try both!! All I think you'll get is the tkder's saying 'do tkd' and the bjjer's saying ' do bjj' its personal taste and choice, try them both and see how you go.