Sore Knees from Thai Boxing

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Punchy, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Hi All,

I have been doing Thai Boxing for about 6 months and I am now finding that I get sore knees after kicking hard during pad or bag work. Ice packs for 10 minutes 3 times a day help but I wonder whether I am doing something wrong or whether my knees are just not right for Thai Boxing roundhouse kicks.

Any advice?

Thank you

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Without speculating too much, it sounds like you might be kicking wrong. Not commuting fully to the kick and stopping before impact could cause your knees to take damage.

Upload a video of you hitting them and maybe we can pick it up from there?

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Where does it hurt, exactly? Is it both knees? Is it the same type, location and intensity on both legs? Is there are particular kick that aggravates the pain, or a particular exercise/piece of equipment? Do you have a history of knee injury? Have you seen a doctor?

Step 1: Address the questions above.

Step 2: Ask your instructor to examine your form.

Step 3: Examine your fitness. For example, range of motion deficiencies cause the muscles that stabilise the knee to pull the joint out of position - how flexible are you, particularly in the inner thighs? Lack of strength in the muscles that stabilise the knee transfers the load to the connective tissues (tendons and ligaments), leading to strains and inflammation - how much dedicated strength training do you do? You should get fit to kick, not kick to get fit.