Something i saw in the movie "The Fighter"

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Heartless Ninja, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Heartless Ninja

Heartless Ninja Valued Member

Hi guys so i was watching The Fighter the other day and there was a scene where Ward was getting back into training after having his hand messed up by the police. He seemed to be dipping his hand into dry rice? What is the purpose of this?

Cheers.

2. Sandstorm:RS

Sandstorm:RS Valued Member

It has the same effect as putting your hand in an ice pack but dry ice is vapour so it envelopes the hand and keeps a constant low temperature which reduced the swelling much faster and produces a faster recovery time. It also has nombing effect as you would expect so if you are getting back into training it enables you to do so by relieving the pain.

Hope this helps mate.

Regards

R

3. Sandstorm:RS

Sandstorm:RS Valued Member

[quote: It has the same effect as putting your hand in an ice pack but dry ice is vapour so it envelopes the hand and keeps a constant low temperature which reduced the swelling much faster and produces a faster recovery time. It also has nombing effect as you would expect so if you are getting back into training it enables you to do so by relieving the pain.

Hope this helps mate.

Regards

R
    ][/quote]

Forget my previous post! I can now see that you said DRY RICE and not DRY ICE.

The answer is I don't know mate. Maybe he is on a diet and skint, so can only afford a hand of DRY RICE:

4. Heartless Ninja

Heartless Ninja Valued Member

Haha cheers anyway mate.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I wondered that. My only theory is it was a deep bucket and dragging his hand through is a form of really light resistant training to get his hand back to being tough. Not sure how good rice is at that though...

EDIT: Yay I was right.
    http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/09/14/hand-training-with-a-rice-bucket/

6. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I remember a story - I think in a martial arts magazine (Maybe Inside Kung Fu) from many many years back about punching into a rice bucket for months and months to harden the hands and make the punches strong (using Chinese medicine to prevent damage) and after the hands were tough enough making the 'rice flour' into oddly tasting cakes...

This however for grip strength is new to me and seems like a cheap and clever additional training tool...

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

He wasn't punching it. It's an exercise to promote healing and strength in the hand. I have had a boxers fracture as well and I did the same exercise for my physiotherapy except I used heated corn dust that had hot air blowing through it if I remember correctly.

8. righty

righty Valued Member

Do not put your hand or any other body part into dry ice. Ever.

He wasn't just putting his hand into the rice and pulling it out again. While his hand was under the rice he (or a boxer) would have been making a fist and straightening the hand out over and over again. It's just like squeezing a stress ball over and over again. Basically rehabilitation to recovery from the broken hand and to build up the correct muscles and stregthen everything up.

9. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

/\ Thanks I forgot to mention that.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

We do a similar thing for climbing training.
    you put your hand in hand and try to open and close your fingers really fast. it improves grip strength.
    Ive seen people do it with also sorts of things like rice or lentils.

11. february

february Valued Member

Hmmmm. Would be interesting to hear your sources on this. For one, if you withstand the severe pain from touching dry ice for more than a second or 2, you'd probably end up with severe frostbite and/or cell damage.

Putting your hand in dry ice is a good way to lose it.