Some Sparring

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

you shouldnt use too much intention, people might sense it.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Unless the tongue is in the wrong position in the mouth, or they move their toes, or had a bagel for breakfast.

[​IMG]

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You've hit on an absolute key and fundamental aspect of training.

Keep going down that track and see where it leads you.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just to be clear, I normally spar with intention, it's just the last month it dropped off my radar. I was always going lighter than my partner.

5. David Harrison

You can go lighter than your partner and still dominate them if you have the intent.

6. Pretty In Pink

This is true, I lost it.

7. David Harrison

And now you've got it back.

Lesson learned. Onward and upward :)

8. Mangosteen

they mayy sense the intent though...

9. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

I always like your posts chadders, so many talk up a storm, but you back it up by showing us yourself in action.

"Slow claps with stern look and stands up in chair"

10. Pretty In Pink

I'm not sure what you mean Zaad. Care to elaborate?

11. Mangosteen

12. Mangosteen

to clarify chad:
    [​IMG]

13. Pretty In Pink

That's what my mind jumped too! I just wasn't sure :p

14. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Zaad ninjas don't spar so I think he is safe. ;)

15. puma

puma Valued Member

To be honest, I don't understand why people ask things like this. You must respect your coach don't you? Just listen to him. Any time anything like this comes up, people turn into the world's best coach that know absolutely everything. What anyone on here thinks doesn't matter.

16. Pretty In Pink

I do, but I can't take up all his time asking him about an art he doesn't specifically teach (he has boxed before). Private lessons cost money and I'm a little short on cash. I also have the chance here to observe my own movements in third person.

Any other stupid questions? :)

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Amen to that.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

hands down the best advice on the thread, if your not taking boxing lessons or thinking of joining a boxing class keep it simple
    Chin down, hands up at all times, concentrate on returning your hand to your chin after every shot, every time a hand goes out your other hand must be on your chin. dont reach for their strikes get used to covering up and having at least one hand on your chin at all times
    (best bit of advice i ever got was from jimmy wallhead imagine your hands have a pece of rubber tuieing them behind your head, ever time you throw a punch this pulls the other hand back to your head)
    get the above right first then worry about slipping bobbing etc, that stuff is hard to do and without the above trying it gets you knocked down

19. puma

puma Valued Member

Does this dude have a professional fighting record of any kind out of interest?

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I think that makes a huge difference. Not just hitting with intent though. Just generally having intent. I noticed that I performed a lot better in sparring when I began visualizing my opponent furiously backpedaling into a corner, desperately covering up. I noticed, prior to that, that I'd throw a technique or two and then pause to evaluate its effect. If it landed, I was satisfied and there was a pause. If it didn't, I'd berate myself and there was a pause.

Either way, there was no pressure on the other guy. He got hit and recovered or he didn't get hit and was no worse off.

Once I started thinking about him furiously backpedaling, I started going and going until I saw that mental picture realized in real life. And the effect was obvious. Now I was pressing the other guy. Enforcing my will a bit. That doesn't mean I was dominating. Far from it. But what it did mean was that, when he paused, I was straight back on the offensive, trying to realize that mental picture again.

That's not a one-time trick (like in the movies). I didn't do it once and then own it. There were plenty of times I forgot that trick. Facing tougher opponents, so that I had a harder time imagining little old me getting them to backpedal, etc.

But it's a start.