Some Sparring

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Got 404'd on your instagram.

Not much to add really from everyone else. Personally I'm OK with the head movement going that low in boxing, as long as you don't sacrifice your line of sight to your opponent.

Just don't do that in MT/MMA, cos your head will meet with a shin. (not a comment towards you Chadz, just a general comment)

Your training in general seems quite good anyway, so it's simply being comfortable in that ruleset?
    I had the same issue from training MT and then going to a boxing group, thinking....shouldn't be that different. But the handspeed is so much quicker. :p

I notice in your vid though, that you duck right, then throw a overhand left(something similar). Which gets you really open to pretty much everything. Is that something you do quite a bit of?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I was referring to him being able to box as a southpaw so he can match his opponent and keep stepping on the toes.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

No, like I said earlier I really don't fight guys much taller then me. I'm normally punching straight with a lot of jabs. "rangey" fighter.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I fought like that when I was a teenager too. Work on being able to switch between that springy footwork and planted feet with hard punches. As you've seen you need some variability. Work on some of Bas Rutten's old stuff on body shots. It may be old, but still gold. Spend a few rounds trying to imitate his way of moving, or anyone who fights with feet set really.

And when in doubt shovel hook to the liver!

Good hunting!

Sifu Ben

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

No. :) I think Hannibal brought it to my attention by sharing on his newsfeed and so I shared it on my fb page and texted a karate friend with a much bigger audience than me about it, and he and others picked it up and shared.

It's important to note that the video illustrates the 5 types of attack using boxing as an example. With patience and access to a lot of footage you could do the same with some of the great karate competition footage of the 70s or do another video using MMA footage. They would all look very different but all illustrate the same principles.

As I said before it's not a range I'm used to working at as with my training paradigm I tend to start inside the static punching range and then close further and manipulate/strike while in tactile contact. It's only when I get a person who attacks from outside my range in a non committed way and then retreats or attacks in a linear multiple strike committed way that leaves no 'safe' opportunity to enter off line that I find myself with this gap to bridge.

Simon did a little exercise with me in the summer where he had me stand with my back against the wall in my dojo and he punched me continuously and I was allowed to use my arms for protection but not to step in, step sideways or counter-attack. It was very unnatural! :) I'm used to moving! It's a shame we didn't have footage - I think he caught me at least once! :)

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Here is that drill. From 5:20.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNMcSxX7M4"]Sparring Drills - YouTube[/ame]

7. John Titchen

We had completely different approaches to this if I recall correctly. We wore small MMA gloves (or did the defender have no gloves?) and I chose to do all the shielding with my arms extended using diversion predominantly at your upper arm and head shielding with my shoulder and upper arm, whereas you kept your arms tight (which is what I use for close range) as per the footage above. I think I did more body dropping and twisting than you?

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The only thing I'd recommend is doing the single punches off your front hand rather than the rear hand, but that's more a personal preference than anything.

9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Get that left hand up! You drop it too low way too often for my liking.

10. Pretty In Pink

Yeah I got that too. Can't wait to get back to training!

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nah man, he's practicing for his Olympic-style taekwondo debut this year :D

#HandsLowLikeABoss

12. John Titchen

There's nothing wrong with the low hand if you are confident of your distance, your ability to move, your opponent's tactics and you are deliberately creating an apparent opening to set up a combination of counters. I'm sure that's why Chadderz had his hand low from time to time. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

as a shorty who likes philosophy, i can vouch for this piece of advice.

14. Pretty In Pink

..... Of course.....

Mates coming back up today, I'll try and get another session on video :)

15. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Hope it goes well. Just remember that you need to change your gameplan when you are fighting a taller fighter. At the most basic level, you don't want to be outside.

If you can slip and move in then that is great, but that becomes tricky if the guy is better than you. Another option is to just cover up and bull your way inside, you might eat a few on your way in, but you just have to make them pay once they are inside your range.

If you are outside and trying to jab your way in then you are playing the range game which is really hard as a shorter fighter. Personally I like throwing a few big shots at the start of a spar, because if you can make them worried and defensive then you can get them covering up, and then it becomes very easy to get inside.

You do seem to leave your rear foot behind too often, this really takes away your mobility. It's probably a habit that you can get away with when you are taller than your opponent, but as the shorter fighter mobility is your key.

Have fun.

16. Pretty In Pink

Back! Totally changed everything and it was pretty alien to me, but worked out much better. My friend will be coming to this site so warm welcome and he'd love some help too :p

17. Unreal Combat

One more thing, specifically if you are trying to improve boxing skill for use in MMA. Be careful of how low you are going. You wouldn't want to eat a knee in the face.

18. Pretty In Pink

When I box I focus on boxing for boxing. I do appreciate that in any other situation that would get my head taken off.

Regardless, I took everyones advice and he next few videos will be much improved (I hope).

19. Unreal Combat

Yeah I do get that. Just food for thought though.

20. bjjbricky

bjjbricky New Member

Hi guys I'm chadderz training partner from the videos. Thanks for all the advice already, I particularly liked the videos. Also if anyone has any advice for myself it would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015