Some questions on the evolution of TaiChi Chuan

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by embra, May 3, 2009.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I think it depends how you do it. The begining part as you turn around does the (front)sweep, if here your arms have circled to the left as you turn in - then the two way body dynamics are there. Then from there you do the lotus kick circling the arms right. I've found that in that part of the form, the transition before the kick, you can time your arm movements, for it to 'work' - in so much as it uses the principle of the sweep you described.

I think in the form there is quite a lot of leg/ footwork but it isn't always included and when it is it isn't necessarily connected to the upper part in an obvious way - but can be in two man drill/applications.

I know some Yang lineages teach the lotus kick as a sweep as well and that depends on the height and position(Rob Ps' clip). but evan as a kick it sets up the back sweep found in repulse monkey.

bearing in mind a lot of offensive and defensive footwork is trained in moving step drills rather than form.

2. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Arts like these art very hard to explain. Chen style: It's kind of a bully style compared to Yang style. What makes it function. Now that's a real question!
    Chen style "Every link in the chain"
    Yang style "No chain"
    Sorry about the riddles, It has to be that way.
    piece.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Or you could speak plainly.

4. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Yes I suppose I could, But don't you think that would be an Insult to his question. Go back and look at his writing. He's not talking about the waza.
    Also he's asking the right question,which should give you a clue on where he's at.

Riddles are there for good reason. Although people tend to think it's to extract money out of students. Not true. It's a way to get people to invest in themselves. To know for themselves! Also when someone answers a question of that potential magnitude directly, The answer would not be significant. But when the answer is found it is very significant.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  5. Dan Bian

His question being:

So, you feel it is necessary to answer this question in riddles?
    Could you not simply say that, based on appearance, Chen style is characterised by alternating fast and slow movements, also containing stamping and jumping techniques and regular fajin in form practice? And that, compared to other styles of Taijiquan, Chen style places a lot of emphasis on silk reeling exercises?

Yang style movements are slow, even, gentle, big and large. This mainly comes from the Yang Chengfu line, which is the most widely practiced line of Taijiquan. Although descended from Chen style, the Yang style has removed the more robust elements of the form, such as jumping and stamping. This gives rise to the impression that Yang style is not used for fighting.

Wu/Hao came from Yang and Chen styles and is slow, smooth, and small and the posture is high. Wu Yuxiang learned from Yang Banhou, and then learned from Chen Qingping.

As for the 2nd Wu style (of Wu Quanyu), and the Sun style, I have no knowledge.

However, I still fail to see how this information has to be passed on as a riddle.

6. Puzzled Dragon

Puzzled Dragon Valued Member

Chain of what

and don't try to tell me this is a puzzle.

7. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Oh I like it! But that's the waza! That's not what he asked. Yes Yang did come from Chen. That's why I said it the way I did as well.
    Anyways,He's an aikido guy. Aikido I believe,although I never trained it, has some interesting philosophies as well. Don't quote me I might be wrong.
    2 normal people fighting is represented by separate coins. Next level: 2 people fighting are represented as a different side of the same coin. Next level: They are the same side of the same coin.

8. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Pressure

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Not Yang Ban Hou, he learnt from Yang Lu Chan then later Chen Qingpin.

Quanyu was a student of Lu Chan in the royal court in Beijing. However due to his low standing in that climate (Manchurian), Lu Chan couldn't be 'seen' to be teaching him directly whilst at the same time instructing the prince and his men. So this situation led to Quanyou taking discipleship under Yang Ban Hou officially instead..

Sun learnt from Hao Weizhen i believe whos tai chi came down from the afformentioned Wu Yuxiang. Hao was so well regarded that the style became known as Wu Hao style. Suns style follows the Wu/Hao style but is said to contain elements from his hsingi and bagua as well.

The Wu style is something of a medium frame style, characterised for many by its forward lean, they have a pretty sweet fast form too..

10. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Now I feel insulted LOL!
    O well. I thought the dude was asking the right question,but again NO!
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now go get those beers in baby your gona need them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  11. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Now this is a work of art boys!
    no concepts.
    but it does show how politics and people who hide behind it are totally lost in a cloud of total b.S. And a herd of folk follow it blindly. Hell of christ sakes they think it's the form. And all those dollars just keep coming in! Oh,now you have to learn this form! then the next. None of them ever really leading you to the real art.
    Thank you cloudZ, that was the truth.

Pretty much other then a few good big names most of the real guys are working in some sweat shop somewhere for slave wages. There you will find real masters.
    Well I think it vacation time again.

12. Dan Bian

Thanks for the clarification there, Cloudz :)

Weiliquan:
    You're rambling now.

13. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

I know I am, I seen to much, been in the game too long. i,m also very tired of supporting this art. The whole world thinks it's B.S. bro. and I'm a mma guy so who needs it? SH%T on This end and on that end as well. I'm sick of it.
    People write stuff,Don't they know I can see right through it,where their at, I can. I seen the highest levels of yang style. fought it all out. Of coarse there is tons of secrets! They lie! you ever see the volume nob??? "wow I'm not suppose to say that" Iron shirt that bleeds right through the masters clothing....that's right! energy transfer.
    and a lot more then that! but you know what,I have to keep my mouth shut,you know why? Because people think it's B.S. that's why. even the people doing it think it's B.S. A dance!
    Chen style is no match for Yang style. It's not even close. I'm sure you must have some idea's of where this art goes. you can't even imagine!!! neither can I although i seen it.Fought it,for years. No way to beat it! invincible!
    now i bet you i get some flack for saying that.
    O well

14. old palden

old palden Valued Member

If you can supply some of whatever you've been smoking, I'm definitely interested.

15. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Ha! I feel sorry for you bro. Left out of the real game.LOL
    But your entitled to your opinion,Unfortunately it leads no where.

Please impress me with something good!
    something i can use!
    or even a video so i can see who you are.
    I seen cloudz,he's got game. but you hide and talk. me I'm kind of a private guy but every now and then i through something up. so how about it. impress me or shut up.
    Plus do you think it's really all that strange. I don't it's a big world. lots of things going on.
    but I'm really surprised at you O.P. i thought you said you do Chinese martial arts. your not a liar are ya.
    because how is it that so many people out there have at least heard of these kinds of things. And you,well i have my suspicions

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  16. embra

embra Valued Member

In amongst some general line noise, there is some usefull info coming into this thread.

I can see from different contributors, different inputs largely describing different experiences - which I see as part of the enigma of TaiChiChuan - it has many strands, influences and a fair degree of corruption. From some of the posts here and in other threads and some general internet reading, i can see that you cant easily look at TCC in isolation from general CMA and that a fair amount is down to interpretation.

In order to make interpretations, you need to know what is on the plate in front of you, and get beyond the 'mystery' facade that TCC sems to expose. What I found gripping about Dan Docherty's TCC, was how easy it was to make quick progress with i.e. an abscence of mystery. As I am generally travelling quite a lot, consistent training with one teacher is not possible, and I simply have to adapt and assimilate from differing teaching styles.

For the sake of argument, I am under no illusion that I am going to become some kind of master quickly - I just want to use the time, effort and energy intelligently.

Recently, in discussion with some of the folks that I currently train with, there has been a recognition and effort to start addressing more. TCC applications for combination attacks, counters, counter-counters, adapting to changes (where not everything goes to plan), the odd surprise here and there e.g. feints and other non-predictable combat situations.

For this we have been putting attention to basic 7 stars and 9 Palace step evasion, along with more thunderhands boxing and general san shou; and the net effect has been pretty good, in spite of some curious initial attitudes.

So what I am asking is, how do folk make their own stlye (formal :- Yang , Chen etc; personal: down to the individual) work for them? What are the elements and qualities that people like/dislike?

17. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Great books with deep knowledge of taijiquan. There's another book too by him,it's real good. It talks in Depth on shen valley and creating the shen baby. Immortals,fairy's,Iron shirt all kinds of good stuff. I think the books name is bone marrow washing, I forget. Probably one of the best books out there for sure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnc12Xl59Uw"]YouTube - Dr. Yang Jwing Ming - Kung Fu Tai Chi Chuan - 1988[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  18. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

This is good. add a little qi and there will be no broken links in the chain. Also add earth and the yin side of structure coupled together with the 3 nails concept and maybe a little shen and you would have some very,very, good chin na based push hands.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PpzSECOJaE"]YouTube - Small Circle Jujitsu flow[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  19. Puzzled Dragon

Puzzled Dragon Valued Member

embra:
    Even though I don't make my own style, I prefer levering to boxing. However, within my style someone might have different preferences, and that is how they will train. Fits well training together, too...