Some Judges Live On Another Planet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiwolfie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

http://www.webpronews.com/moroccan-rape-victim-commits-suicide-after-marrying-her-attacker-2012-03

There are some things in life I'll never quite be able to wrap my head around.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its hard to say anything that would describe the rage this describes within me...

3. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

4. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

There is no way to expressed how messed up that is within the ToS.

*out of order comments removed

Not only is suggesting someone be poisoned and raped against the spirit of MAP... it's also against the TOS.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
  5. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Sad, shocking and downright disgusting.

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm afraid that this is so disgusting that it could be from no planet other than our own. I feel sick just thinking about this.

7. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

8. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Can we stone the barsteward yet?

10. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

I'm just going to add to the general disgust and horror in this thread, but it's got to be said.

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Have to admit, I find the fact that saying something like this

is seen as an acceptable response to be almost as disturbing to me as the article itself. But yeah there is definitely something wrong with Morocco's legal system

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
  12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'd been lead to believe that Moroccan family law was one of the most enlightened forms of 'sharia' law. Maybe that isn't the case after all.

13. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

It's important to remember that this isn't a case of one crazy judge. This is just one example of the way an entire culture conducts itself every day. The judge isn't really the problem; the problem is a culture that (a) sees rape as the woman's shame rather than the perpetrator's, (b) considers shame a worse fate than abuse, and (c) considers women unqualified to decide between the two for themselves.

This story is just a drop in the bucket. We should be angry every day that countries like this exist on our planet.

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It's not acceptable. It's immature and as just as backwards as the original ruling. I'm disturbed by both, also.

Morocco, huh? Isn't that where Casa Blanca is? And to think that I wanted to someday visit Casa Blanca ... maybe not anymore!

15. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

It was until the Islamic Justice and Development Party won last years election.Soon the extremists will control the entire North African coast.

16. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I hope you realize that this wasn't an isolated incident. This judge has destroyed a lot of lives of children who were victims of rape. Yes, it is clearly a larger cultural problem. And no, obviously I don't think the judge should literally be raped and poisoned. However, I want something very, very bad to happen to anyone who could act in such a way to damage so many young futures, regardless of it's cultural acceptance. That was what I was expressing. Would it be justified for someone who has condemed so many rape victims to continuous torture from their aggressors to also be raped? Yeah, it certainly would. Would it be morally appropriate to reciprocate that cycle of abuse further as a responsible society? No, clearly not.

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

how is it protecting a girls honor when you force her to marry a sadist. surely the girls life and happiness is worth more than some stupid concept of honor?

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I don't understand that either.

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Interestingly though quite often it only takes one respected member of society in a position of power to sit up and say "this is wrong" and then other people begin to consider that just maybe it is wrong.

20. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I find it interesting that nobody has mentioned the obvious....

There is a flaw in our understanding of the situation...

Because everywhere has 'cars' and 'electricity' and 'airports' and 'Internet' and .... There is a strong tendency to assume that people all over the world are similar. THEY ARE NOT...

There are people, villages, towns, cities, regions and whole countries that are by US and UK (and various other countries) standards at least 100 years behind us in terms of moral values on issues like equality (or even common decency) - That's not to say that you can't find examples of 'bad thinking' in developed countries - of course you can - but in countries where for example literacy rates are so low what do you expect:

From the CIA World Factbook
    Literacy: Definition: age 15 and over can read and write:

Morocco: Total population: 52.3% / male: 65.7% / female: 39.6% (2004 census).

USA: Total population: 99% / male: 99% / female: 99% (2003 est.)

UK: Total population: 99% / male: 99% / female: 99% (2003 est.)