Some general questions about boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Sean S., Sep 21, 2002.

1. Sean S.

Sean S. New Member

Hi Fellas,

I've been interested in boxing for awhile and have gotten as far as reading some about the history of modern boxing, and learned a little about the old BKB pugilism through some western martial artists. My primary interest has been in European swordsmanship but there seems to be a lot of common interests between the new wave of historical swordsman and traditional fighting arts.

I want to learn something to make me a better standup fighter and after visiting a couple dojo's in town, and reading quite a few discussions on the subject, thought that modern boxing would start me with a better foundation for a real fight. I only had a couple years karate experience from when I was much younger and don't remember anything useful at all and have done a little bit of training on my own; mostly from online resources and putting up a heavy bag in the garage.

There are some things that the books didn't go into depth about and are probably best answered by someone who trains boxers, but I thought people here could also provide some help.

First off, I know different fighters have personalized styles but are people with a certain build better suited to certain methods of fighting? I'm about 6' tall and close to 165 pounds but have very short, thin, twisted legs (birth defect) and they've made it extremely difficult to become proficient in running/jumping/kicking/etc. They're a real weak spot for me and I'm wondering if there's a good way to compensate for it, or if there are any boxers who became famous despite bad/short legs.

I don't have a heavy build and my wrists and ankles are rather narrow, leading way to lots of rolled ankles and folded wrists. I do however have a very large torso, a powerful upper back, with strong shoulders and forearms from swordsmanship. My bicep is a measly 11" but my forearms are a good 12.5". Given some time I think I could become quite strong and sinewy for my build...... but is that a good thing for boxing?

These are probably boxing semantics and I'd find it more useful to concentrate on just getting some training but I injured myself a week before I was scheduled to begin trial lessons in boxing and curiousity has gotten the best of me.

Anyhow, is there a certain physical trait that makes a 'natural' boxer? I'm mostly interested in getting a foundation in boxing so I can begin working on the older styles of BKB. They're different, but I'm too out of shape to be good at either!

-Sean

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hi Sean, Welcome to the forum

Right, before we get into this we're gonna need to know a few things. How long have you been practicing with the sword? I ask just to try and get a good idea of your current level of fitness. How much time your willing to spend on your training?

How badly do your legs affect the twisting of your torso and footwork? As you'll know most of the power generation in boxing is developed through use of the legs and hips, not just shoulders and arms. Also its essential to be able to use good footwork to avoid your opponent.

And your right about personal styles, but these normally evolve from boxers learning to use what they've got. From your post I reckon that you've got quite a reach but also a light frame, which means you'd favour the 'stand off' type of style, developing a fast, powerful jab to keep the other guy at arms length, but this also means you'd have to develop exceptional footwork. Because of the light build (6" 165 lbs) you'd have to avoid the 'brawler' who likes to get in close and can take a bit of punishment (which coincidently is the style I favour, at 5"8' 196lbs).

You've mentioned that your about to start classes which is great. Training under a qualified coach is the best and only way to go, if you've got a bag in your garage ask the coach to give you some drills to practice in your own time.

Best of Luck

Colin

3. Sean S.

Sean S. New Member

Hi Freeform, thanks for responding.

My current level of fitness is pretty sad. I spent a year and a half with a semi-private instructor for swordsmanship but haven't done anything athletic since I became a full time student late last year. My athleticism is crap but I was able to withhold a fair amount of the back/shoulder muscles from all the landscaping work over the summer.

I've yet to see a boxing trainer but I have done some bag work and striking under supervision by the class sensei while visiting MA dojos around town and was told that I "hit like a dump truck".

That was only a few good punches though, I could hardly lift my legs off the ground for a kick ;)

Swordsmanship also obtains much of it's power through the hips and torso also, so I don't think I'll have many problems with that. I did have an extremely difficult time when switching from longsword/greatsword to rapier, which was entirely footwork. After two weeks of rapier it was obvious that my legs simply weren't built for lots of deep lunging and fast springy motions, so I called it quits on those silly weapons and went back to sword and shield, where strangely enough, the 'bruiser' method worked naturally.

I think I'd be able to spend 1.5 hours a day, 2-3 days a week training after classes. Certainly not a professional training regime but I think it would give me a leg up on the rest of my friends (we sometimes get together for some friendly mixed martial arts fighting)

-Sean

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

But a very respectable one!

The next step for you now would be to go to a boxing gym and get professional 'hands on' training (much better than books and web resources!).
    Don't worry if you think your out of shape, the coach will whip you into shape quick enough!

Good Luck

5. zudo

zudo New Member

hey sean, what dojos did you goto for sword training, 've been looking everywhere and can't find a place locally, i noticed you were also in champaign so i decided to ask you

6. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Hi, another basic question about boxing
    I've been doing ITF tkd for just over 3 years and started boxing a little while ago. In tkd we train both sides to attack whereas in boxing people usually adopt one stance and stick to it.
    I'm right handed but have a stronger left side. When Ive been sparring in boxing Ive been switcing lead hands. So questions are-

1- Should I continue (in boxing) to get use both sides leading?

2- Because my left side is stonger (although very slighly) is it worth adopting and sticking to a south paw stance? (I was thinking this would be handy as it is less common and therefore other boxers would find it more difficult to cope)

Ta.

7. Hitman

Hitman New Member

semphoon, learn both, most people are farely uncomfortable switching stances, and even more uncomfortable fighting someone who switches stances :). now unless your ambidextrous (like me) it might seem weird for a while if your a serious boxer. but you should train both sides, and practice your transition from orthodox to southpaw. As for your left side being stronger, generally people jab with the weaker, so if you were picking which style to fight with based on which arm is stronger, then you should pick southpaw, however, since your a righty, you should probably work on bringing that side up to par with the left.
    sorry if that wasn't particularly clear, i'm a little tired from lack of sleep.

Hitman

8. D@vid

D@vid Valued Member

I too have a basic question

I've been dying to try out boxing and would like to know the basic training regime for a Boxer. And, for a first timer, how would a coach start me off?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

my beginning training consists of a lot of mitt work, learning the numbers and how to work mitts for other guys as well. Once we learn the punches we move to heavy bag and start working combinations. Hardest thing in the world for me was to learn how to relax my shoulders and upper body to deliver a powerful punch - you gots to get the hang of this if yer gonna have speed and power.

Anyways...I guess it's different wherever you go, but my guy starts everybody off on mitts and basic conditioning. Pushups, situps, roadwork.

10. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

My coach started me with the basic punches and evasive actions. Then the next level we did lots of running and workouts and shadow boxing. Once you got most of that stuff down you can practice sparring.