SOLO training HELP

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by goatnipples2002, Dec 9, 2003.

1. goatnipples2002

goatnipples2002 someone tryin 2 learn

I bought a Robert Lyons Thai boxing tape a while ago and was looking for a little more help than what he gave. I train by myself because I pay for college and can't afford to go to a dojo. I currently have a heavy bag I hit but am unsure if I am hitting it right.

Vertical elbow-
    Now to execute this properly do you bend the legs a little then kinda shoot up like a rocket as you deliver the strike?

Low lead/roundhouse kick-
    My friend goes to a TKD school and they told him to arch his kicks higher than the (knee) so that you come down on the nerves that are just above it and it also creates drag from your body weight going into the kick. Is this true? Where should my hands be? Which hand blocks, which do I use for support?

Leg destructions-
    How do I execute a proper destruction? Do I use the leg the kick is aimed at? or the opposite?

How do I know if I actually rotate my hips when I strike.

Does anybody have any pics or websites of proper techniques being displayed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2003
  2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

There are thousands just Google Muay Thai Techniques or Muay Thai+Jpegs and you'll find loads.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2003
  3. goatnipples2002

Re: Re: SOLO training HELP

I think you misunderstood what I meant about the leg destructions but everything else was on point. Thank u

4. SoKKlab

So are you talking about Leg Shields here when you mention 'Destructions'?

Anyway, you is welcome.

5. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

If you have a muay thai class in your area why not just go once every two weeks or even every month? Even in just a few lessons with a proper instructor you will learn so much more, and you can spend the rest of your training time practising what you have learned. I understand about being on a tight budget but if this is possible, then IMHO it is the best way to go about it.

6. goatnipples2002

I meant destructions, but like kali. Where if you tried a kick to my thigh I would knee your kick. I would aim for your knee but would most likely get your shin which is still a good target. This destruction is limited in the sense that it is only applicable to thigh high kicks.

The other destruction I know of is when someone tries to attack your head you raise your elbow vertically. This works on punches and kicks to the head.

I figured out my own question about which leg or arm to use for desturctions. The answer is that it doesn't matter. Both side are equally capable of the destruction.

And I practice lead/roundhouse kicks but never above waist high (economy of motion). I try to keep both hands up for protection. My heavy bag is outside and it's snowing here so I have moved my focus to my one knuckle punch. I just feel "unsafe" dropping my hand.

7. versatilefightR

versatilefightR New Member

When round house kicking, you want to keep your kicking arm out and in your opponents face, the opposite arm to cover your face in case the opponent comes back with a hook quickly, and point your kicking knee a little down so contact comes on shin bone, the side of your leg won't do any damage make sure you hit with the shin bone!

8. SoKKlab

Yes all those 'Destructions' are in Muay Thai, kneeing the leg that is kicking you, is a glorified Leg shield either with the shin block or actually kneeing the leg.

There are many other 'Leg Jamming' techs to the kicking leg of an adversary in Muay Thai. There are alot more variations in other Thai Arts like Ling Lom. Same goes for Elbow destructions of punches etc. This is all basic basic Thai Arts stuff, no biggie.

As I said previously about roundhouse kicks, you can either 'drop' the lead hand when doing any Roundhouse kick, or you can do the kick in the Muay Boran way and keep both hands up, whatever you choose. You do get more twist by dropping the lead hand, but the Muay Boran way is better defensively as you keep a better guard, both hands up.

And as Versatile said, it's a good tactic to 'stiff arm' someone, ie instead of dropping your lead arm you shove it in their face as a fake or face rake and then kick them below decks.

Only problem is that sometimes you'll get thrown, or off-balanced by an experienced fighter grabbing the 'Stiff-arming' arm, but for Self-Protection against a common adversary it works nicely.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  9. goatnipples2002

I will hopefully get a decent job so I can go to a school. Don't know what art yet. Most likely go to a MT/KB gym. They are pretty cheap and I can go 6 days a week. No gi or other charges. it's like 35 a month. I can't beat that.

What piece of training equipment would you suggest for solo training?

I have a heavy bag and an iron palm bag. My bag is outside, but it's snowing in Nebraska right now so I have focused on training my tiger's tooth (one knuckle punch) right now.

Dropping the arm does feel more powerful and natural but keeping both hands up is way safer to me.

10. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

sure you can keep your arms in front to offer more protection. I believe the old style advocates this.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  11. goatnipples2002

I need to know what you guys think would be my best bet for a new piece of solo training equipment?

I have a heavy bag (outside), an iron palm bag filled with mung beans for my one knuckle punch, and I recently bought a rolling pin for my shins.

12. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

rolling pin, cool...make some bread for us dood.

13. goatnipples2002

Roll deez on ur chin!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  14. Cain

Cain New Member

Edit your post goatnipps, swearing is not taken lightly around here!

|Cain|

15. goatnipples2002

no prob bob

I forgot bout the kids, goat loves the kids!

16. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Why would you go to a MT/KB gym if you are "220% against sport fighting" and "The only ring that matters has curbs."?

17. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

he's not AGAINST it. He's only stating that one should adopt two mentalities in fighting and that ring experience cannot replace real-life street experience. One may not fit the other.

18. goatnipples2002

I've tried to say that so many times but it never came out like that. Good lookin out.

So many people train for the ring yet leave out effective techs such as eye gouges, biting and nerve strikes because they are illegal in the ring yet not in the streets. The mentalities are very different.

to answer your Q 1fighting. I gotta go some where to learn, right?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  19. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

The bit about arching your leg down to kick the leg above the knee is referred to as chopping. You kick down on the front of the legs, and more upwards on the back, and hitting it right should cause the legs to collapse. I'm not entirely sure of the technique but Loren Christensen (respected MA writer) seems to think it works great. Google it.

20. goatnipples2002

My friend goes to a MT/bjj school and he taught me that. It takes time to get used to. Put your leg up on a chair or table and practice rotating your hip. This is the same motion of the kick.