Solo push hands exercises

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by AmericanFighter, Apr 14, 2010.

1. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Ey? How does it build strength? How often do you use a posture like that in pushing hands? Once you are doing "freestyle" pushing hands, then how often?

Telling a 21st century westerner about Chi is as pointless as trying to describe to Confusions why a Ferrari is cool. He won't know what a Ferrari is, he won't understand what a car is and he won't understand the concept of cool being "good" not just a bit chilly

This is why Chi means something different to every one today.....its a concept who’s time has passed, which we have no frame of reference to and we are trying to understand it through totally FUBR'd translation.

2. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

So, your a Scot then?

3. AmericanFighter

AmericanFighter Valued Member

yes

look i have taken other styles before but tai chi is defiantly helping with my fighting. I am able to throw people off balance and reverse attacks easier than ever before. Thats what push hands teaches you. Some times i get people to over commit to their attacks and the next thing they know they are on the ground or in a joint lock and under my control.

Chi can be used in a fight but it takes forever to be able to transmit it.

4. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I NEVER mentioned anything about building chi much less shooting it out of your eyeballs. I don't even believe in chi!

However, I was shown the exercise by two seperate people on two seperate occations. One of those people was a taoist monk who has been living in a temple since he was about 10 years old. He lives in Shenzhen now and makes a lot of trips out to guangzhou which is where I met him.

5. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I met him, he was rubbish!

6. AndrewTheAndroid

lol must've been a different guy.

7. AmericanFighter

it strengthens you arms the same way a wall chair strengthens your legs. you dont use this posture at all in push hands. However both your arms are in ward off position. in push hands you use ward off to block and redirect force. holding that position train your ability to hold your ward off position longer without getting tired and creates mussel memory.

also i am 21st century westerner. 21 and an american.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  8. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Bout - so tall....smelled of potato?

9. AndrewTheAndroid

A photo is coming up in a minute. :eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  10. surrealism

surrealism trying to fit in

makes for good fence technique as well.

the only thing i have gotten out of this meditation is my feet falling asleep, a more defined "tiger back," sore shoulders and lower back.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I fail to see how saying there is some merit to it as being an "ignorant flame bait post". One of the literal translations of ki is breath, and since this is a breathing exercise, then yes it can help your ki.

As far as no-touch KOs, dim mak, and all the other nonsense, if you can prove it, take up the $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge from the Randi Foundation. Might as well make some money with proving to the non-believers.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Let's not forget what the MARTIAL arts are about first and foremost: fighting.

You may train in a "do" fashion where you're trying to better yourself and build character traits and all sorts of other things. That's fine. But just because you train "do" does not also mean you train "jutsu" (which is basically concentrating on fighting). However, by training "jutsu" you can also train "do".

13. AmericanFighter

this was the part i was talking about.

the dim mak is BS imo by the way

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So other people aren't allowed to have an opinion opposite of yours?

If you "feel the chi", good on ya. I consider myself a critical thinker and have seen nothing to suggest (experience-wise or from outside sources) it instills any kind of benefit other than what I already stated (which, coincidentally, was passed on to me by a fellow who's spent over two decades training in that and other similar postures). Are there physical and mental benefits? Yes, more physical than mental from my experience but still useful. As far as "cultivating my chi", not so much.

In short....

I started doing Ikken because one of my sensei and a few fighters I really like swore by it. I've seen some benefit to it. I do not feel any more "chi aware."

You can see a few other postures done by Hajime Kazumi in his HL reel, one of my favorite fighters.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rGydleRisQ"]YouTube- Hajime Kazumi HL[/ame]

15. surrealism

surrealism trying to fit in

I would not discount Chi has being a placebo affect. Placebo affect is by no means a bad thing either. If you believe that chi is going to make your punch stronger then chances are that punch may get a lil stronger. My reason for thinking this is that you are starting to un-hinder your self. you become more relaxed to increase the flow of chi. But the real part is that if you relax your a little more quicker, thats pretty much the belief in many arts... well at least in tai chi. But what is so wrong about thinking that there is chi, especially if it improves you as a whole?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  16. AmericanFighter

its has nothing to do with your opinion but when you said shooting chi balls out of your eyes and stuff like that.

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Some people believe they can do that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhnvETs4F6Q"]YouTube- yellow bamboo[/ame]

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhnvETs4F6Q"]YouTube- yellow bamboo[/ame]

If you can truly kill someone without touching, that will be a perfect crime on human history.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  19. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ykNZ7rAcw"]YouTube- Yellow Bamboo vs reality[/ame]

Heh heh they got off lightly in my view. Wasting time on Chi when you could be hard training.

The Bear.

20. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

First an foremost... everyone: My chi is bigger than yours.

Second: Martial arts is about bettering the self in every aspect, even fighting.

Third: Chi is real. If you've felt it and still don't believe, you don't trust yourself. That is a good thing, too.

Four: Stop bashing chi. Chi knows where you live.

Five: chi is awesome

Six: I'm outta here. I haven't learned a damn thing yet! I feel like we're all just talking to ourselves.