So, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MasterH, Jun 9, 2005.

1. MasterH

MasterH New Member

Good Evening!

I'm a 31 y/o 5th Dan in TKD. I've been out of sorts with a medical condition. I've been able to teach but not be as active as was was say a year ago when I recieved my current rank. I've gained a bunch of weight and now am faced with something I've never had, I really need to loose the pounds. So, what's the first step? Anyone want to teach the teacher?

Master Adam D. Huntley
    Hwa-Rang Taekwondo Federation

USA

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

eat less, exercise more

3. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Ikken is a man of few words. :D

Before any advice on my part is given, a bit of information about the medical condition and if it limits your physical ability and how it impacts your health might be a good idea.

4. ttamgirl

ttamgirl New Member

For me, the first thing is always stop drinking anything except for water.

5. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Burn more calories than you consume. So do lots of cardio. :)

6. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

I think we'd need to know a little more about your condition before we go any further :)

7. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

inspired

8. MasterH

MasterH New Member

Thanks, pancreantitis. And I'm still dealing with it. As for some of the other replies, I did ask for the first step - and you're correct! It's a bit complicated with the medication I'm on, but I have no excuse. Thanks all, I need a slap on the back of the head once in a while.

9. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

*dope slap to back of head*

Other than the slap, my advice is to consider a weight training program. I find that lifting increases muscle mass (duh) and doing this in combination with all that cardio will really help you cut down. Sharkey, Adam, and many others have excellent knowledge of lifting programs for MA types.

Think of it this way- if you do cardio, you make your body burn more much energy for short periods of time. If you lift, your body burns more energy constantly because there is more muscle. If you do both (and lay off the beer) you will drop weight like crazy.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  10. MasterH

MasterH New Member

I'm in my red man suit after this beating!
    I'm only worried about my flexability if I start to lift.

11. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Its not as simple as calories in vs calories out (change in metabolism due to eating more often, smarter training, adequate rest, and etc). Also, a high protein diet will aid in losing pounds fast b/c it keeps you full and 20%+ of the calories are used just for your body to digest it and utilize it.

12. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Flexibility can INCREASE if you go through the proper range of motion when lifting weights. You won't become musclebound from just lifting weights. We promise....:D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  13. MasterH

MasterH New Member

Thanks, All!

14. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Master Adam..
    Locate a gym near you, a gym not a spa and talk to one of the instructors..They helped me..

15. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

Bicycle, a lot. Good easy cardio with relatively rapid results without much likelihood of injury.

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

What's your current routine like? In terms of roadwork, shadowboxing, bagwork, etc.?