So what should Tai Chi look like?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Baggsy, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Thank you tccstudent for the media player advice, I was unable to get it working with quicktime.

As far as the video goes, it doesn't seem to me like you are using any of the principles of taijiquan. For that matter, it doesn't look like you're using much boxing either. Your footwork is sapping all the power from your strikes and you seem to be unable to root yourself to generate strength in close proximity. I hope this wasn't supposed to be a demonstration of taijiquan because it seems a bit like amateur mma.

2. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

LioKault, again, I disagree. You have your views and obviously no one can change it for you. You come to your conclusions by your own experiences, and I and others, come to different conclusions by our experiences. People only believe what they want generally, so I sometimes wonder what is the damn point of these forums in the first place. For me, I'm just passing time while I'm at my tech job. Do what you want, but in my humble opinion you will not gain any higher level TCC skillz. You may gain great sparring skills I guess if that's what you're after :) Not that I am in any position to judge you, but imo you are sentencing yourself to a life of basic skill built upon the physical level, which I believe is where we all start from but at some point in your TCC training you should be cultivating more than the physical. Maybe that is fine with you since you don't seem to put too much creed into the use of MIND in TCC. It's all in the classics anyway. You build your body and then you build your mind. Where is the mind in your training?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  3. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

You misunderstand. I'm not yielding while I am punching, I may yield while you are punching though.... Also, I have trained with a couple of teachers who would disagree with you on the punching bag thing. Some teachers believe in punching "through" things instead of punching "at" things. Different teachers, different training. Some people believe that when they train to punch "through" things using their mind their punches will be more effective than the people who train to punch "at" things who are training their body to react a certain way while making contact with the bag. Just offering other perspectives....

I agree with you partially here, maybe in the sense of sensitivity while rolling, but still no mind/intent training in BJJ that I'm aware of. I'm not saying BJJ isn't effective, just something else that's all.

Really? What if the boxer fights a wrestler who could care less about punching. Remember the boxer punches, the wrestler grapples and goes for take-downs. Two different things, training for two different skillz. On another note, if the wrestler doesn't wrestle, and the boxer doesn't punch, then maybe that might be a better indicator to has skill. Something to think about anyway....Saying both sides are tested is ambiguous at best.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  4. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Oh no, again that stupid match of macao :bang: It is not a pure TJQ.
    This version has a funny sound. It is like to watch a Bruce Lee movie. :woo:

5. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Yeah, because clearly I am a pro MMA guy!! :woo:

Ok again, the only real criticism I could see here is if you put a vid up of you doing better. Other wise I will continue thinking that you don't know any better.

6. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I think that you are chasing non existent, illusionary skills. Skills that only exist in Demonstrations and compliant 'willing partner' drills.

This is why no one has been able to find one (NOT ONE) video that they would be happy to say is real TCC against a non compliant 'aggressor.'

Now lets ask again. It dose not have to be a video of you, it just has to be what you all are happy to say is TTC is a free environment.

7. Choices

Choices New Member

Thank god for us to have every truth stored, and captured on video then right? You might wanna lay of videos for a while, and just read a good comic or something. Frustration + videos + complaining about other types of TCC training. Tai Chi principles all over the place.

8. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

If the boxer cant punch the grappler hard enough to make him care, he has lost.

If the grappler can't stand being punched in the head and can't stop the boxer doing such, he has lost.

Its sparring, its like any other training tool, its not about winning and losing
    If both sides walk away feeling they got the better of the deal then all is well.
    The important thing is that they went hard enough to 'test' their skills.

9. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I need not be a marksman to know if a guy is a crappy shot. I need not be a superior footballer to see when Beckham flubs a kick. Why would I have to prove I'm a superior fighter (when I don't spar) to justify my observations about your technique?

10. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Is nobody else bothered by this??
    How inconsiderate!
    :woo:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2006
  11. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Any pot bellied oaf can sit in an arm chair, beer in hand and spout on how crap Beckham is at football.

Any pot bellied oaf can sit at his computer, beer in hand and spout on what is and what is not TCC.

There are many Sunday league footballers (who would be made fools of by Beckham) that can give me an opinion of his relative skill. I will listen to them, not the oaf.

12. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I never said I was better, I merely pointed out what I perceive to be flaws in your mechanics. If you take offense to that, I apologize, but that's what I see.

13. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Which bit bothers you?

Having it pointed out to you that you have frustratingly no way to counter my point (I'm still waiting for an acceptable video) or my use of the word 'puff'?

In hind sight, the word puff was probably a bit strong for this forum, so I apologise to any offended.

14. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

No, I'm not offended.

I do find it funny though that I go do a bit of friendly sparring, roll on the ground a bit with some JJ guys (something I have no experience of) and let it be posted. Only to have it condemned.

At no point did any one ask about a context, no one asked about rules or the ability's of the people involved.

At no point did I even comment on the clips, other than to say that they look exactly how they should. At no point did I say 'wow guys I used TCC to own these guys'. At no point did I say 'go look at the clips if you want to see real TCC'.

At the end of the day, they are clips of blokes sparring. One happens to do TCC. As such they look like exactly what they are.

15. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I apologize for judging then. I gathered the context from what has been posted here (I simply assumed it was covered on bullshido and the others commenting here were aware). If you were just playing around in the clip then you should have said something. It would have saved much of the bickering. I would be interested in seeing a real taiji clip if you're willing to post one (I know there's a significant risk that you might get hassled about your technique) because I think there are so very few good clips available.

16. cullion

cullion Valued Member

Sandus, when you watch a clip of sparring, by what criteria do you judge whether the mechanics used are good TCC or not ?

17. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Because of my experience with boxing, I pay most attention to footwork and the generation of power with the lower body. In addition, for taiji I pay a lot of attention to natural movements which minimize the actual body movement and maximize power.

18. sparrow

sparrow Chirp!

Re; 'bunch of puffs', and the endless taking of offense at this and various other posts -

IMHO, yielding is not just a physical process, it can be applied on many levels, specifically mentally and phsically. We train TCC in order to find our centre, and don't let any attack, on any level, affect it. If the term 'puffs' offends you, the person who has delivered this attack has gotten to your centre and unbalanced you....... It also takes two to argue - one to 'start' it, and the other to respond.
    Please note I am not being offensive, just objective :love:

19. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Fair point Sparrow. :)
    Sandus thanks for editing my post - you got there before me lol :rolleyes:

Liokault - I am offended only by your refusal to engage in constructive dialogue with me and your seemingly one-dimensional view of what is and what is not good Martial Art training. It seems to me you only comment on what you perceive as faults and never say anything positive. (eg I spent about three hours writing you a reply on saturday and you responded with one icon and have more or less ignored me ever since - despite the weight of evidence, I am sure you are capable of much more intelligent, and less aggressive responses than this :cool: )
    Until you come and try something different, you are in no better position to judge than anyone else. Believe it or not, I am very interested in what you do from a training perspective - and I still can't download that bleedin clip!!! - I just think a little more politeness and open-mindedness would help us all benefit from each other's views rather than all this "my dog's bigger than your dog" type childishness.
    We all get riled sometimes - I did last night lol - let's try again... :rolleyes:
    :Angel:

20. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I posted some real TCC in the Wu v Cane clip.....the guy was the lineage holder at the time, how much more TCC do you want? :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.