So my friend ... (it's going to be a story)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by GoldShifter, Jan 15, 2014.

1. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

So some backstory on this whole thing.

The soccer team and I were all at an ice creamery about 15 minutes away (Castro Valley) from the city most of us reside in (San Leandro). We eat, talk, and are merry. Reunite one last time with our coach who has gone back to Denver to take care of his ailing mother. We have two friends who could drive. The rest of us either didn't have our cars with us, parking was pretty poopy or couldn't drive. One friend (Nicholas) lives in Castro Valley, so it would be unreasonable for him to drive us back to San Leandro. Our other friend (Justin) lives in San Leandro, but he didn't want to drive us all the way back to our homes.

Nich and Justin drive us to BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit, its akin to a subway system, or something of the sort). And we are on our way home to San Leandro. We all are planning to head to one of our friend's house (Edmond) because he lives the closest to BART. We get off at Bayfair BART Station. It isn't the best neighborhood but we were in a group and not wearing the wrong colors. It's dark, we're almost about to turn into the street toward Edmond's house.

Now, after Justin and Nich drive us home, we think that "Oh, they went home, Justin is a poop face for not driving us, especially since some of us live on the way to his house and he had no plans, and his only excuse was that he didn't feel like it. (This is true by the way)" Well at the beginning of Edmond's street there is this house with a huge amount of cars, sometimes they occasionally have their cars blocking the sidewalk.

Our friend Justin, being the clown that he is, drives to Edmond's house. He parks his car way down the street infront of Edmond's house and runs all the way to the beginning of the street. He proceeds to hide behind the cars that overflow onto the sidewalk. As we are about to pass that house, he jumps out from behind the cars yelling, "GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!" Of our group, two of us are martial artists, but we both recognize his voice, having known each other for years, since Elementary school. Now, when Justin popped out, I was one of the people on the edge closer to him, and once he yelled, and ran into us, I took a step back with the right and adopted a boxer's stance, checked him with my left and cocked back my right hand. I didn't throw the right because ... I recognized his voice. And it also helped that we had 7 other guys in our group that are reasonably fit. It was a good surprise but it could have ended terribly for him.

His thought process according to him, "I see a group of 8 people walking down the adjacent sidewalk (there is chain link fence, so he could see us)."
    "It must be Edmond's group."

Now after the fact, we talked to him on the way to Edmond's house.

"What if it wasn't us. And it was 8 big body builder dudes or gang members."

He told us he just assumed it was us.

I don't know, I didn't know where to put this. It really did happen, just this past Friday 1/10/14, to be exact. I just wanted to tell this story, just to see your guys' take on it. IMHO, this could have ended really badly.

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So you're a footballer, eh? Nice one. What position do you play?

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Only because you were trigger happy. Solitary street robbers don't prey on groups of 8.

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

People do dumb things all the time (not referring to GoldShifter).

5. GoldShifter

I guess I was a little trigger happy, but when somebody screams "Give me your money!" and runs into your group, its pretty surprising. At least I didn't throw the right hand. :p

I play Right Wing Midfielder. Do you play football?

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Unless they had a AK47 :eek:

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Could have gone very wrong for your friend if he did that to the wrong people.

8. GoldShifter

Especially his thought process. We tried telling him that it was a seriously idiotic move on his part, especially since he didn't really confirm it was us, he just assumed that it was the 8 people he was looking for.

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

They'd thought him to want their autographs

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm a bit old for it these days I'm afraid! Used to play quite a bit when I was younger. I loved it, but wasn't particularly good. Highest level I played at was Sunday league. (a.k.a. 'Hangover League'.)

But its nice to know that we've got an American MAPper who plays the Beautiful Game! I know that football is massive in some parts of the states, but gets largely ignored by the media over there.

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I do this kind of thing all the time. its like a sport to our mates.

So because we do martial arts we aren't allowed to find giving people frights funny?

I would also bet silly amounts of money that you knew it was your friend long before you displayed your martial skills.

12. GoldShifter

No, we had no idea. The neighborhood isn't necessarily bad, but not the best either. There aren't drive by's everyday but a good deal of muggings and shootings happen in the mall about two minutes away. Couple days before that, somebody tried to get in my mom's car while she was at a stop sign over in that area but the people behind her intervened, scaring the guy off.

He told us he was going home, and because I know what kind of person Justin is (we grew up together since elementary school), I assumed he would actually go home and not drive any of us because he didn't want to. He's quite a lazy person and running up to the beginning of the street a couple blocks away was pretty long for him.

It may be normal for you and your mates, but its not very normal for us so it was pretty surprising. As I said before, I recognized his voice when he yelled but I didn't want to take the chance if it wasn't him and just somebody who sounded like him.

EDIT: looking back on it, it was pretty funny, its just that the end result could have been terrible, as I said, its not as safe as one would prefer so people are on guard. Just maybe not have chosen that neighborhood where our friend Edmond lives, where hearing a mugging or robbery isn't exactly eye opening.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014