So karate-ka, a question on conditioning

Discussion in 'Karate' started by furinkazan, Jun 19, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Anyone here do any other physical training for their martial arts? After leaving the Bujinkan recently I've been finding myself wanting to develop a physically strong body for what Im doing now (Goju Ryu) and I'm while I have a basic three day split programme of weightlifting and conditioning, I was wondering if anyone does any of the old school pot holding training. Would just some pots from the local garden centre work as long as I can get my fingers over them properly?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

there's a specific ideal measure for them depending on your hand proportions (what you can hold with the inside of your tumb and the tip of the other fingers, iirc), but i've heard that the standard size of protein powder tubs is pretty close for most adults (my hands are too small for it though :()

also check out the dvd 'power training of goju ryu'

3. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

is that dvd the one on youtube thats about 45 minutes long?

I watched through it and much of the physical conditioning with equipment seemed like it could be substituted with other exercises like squats, deadlift etc.

I have some protein powder so I might be able to do that

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You could look up the book, The Art of Hojo Undo on Amazon, you might get some good ideas there :)

5. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

If you're training goju I would be very surprised if you don't do some form of in house hojo undo to supplement your training.
    Mitch's suggestion is spot on (it's a book I'm actually reading alongside Pat McCarthy's Bubishi at the moment).
    In the Art of Hojo Undo there are some fantastic guides on building certain pieces of equipment you can use to train with and exercises. It's well written and very easy to follow

One piece of advice though if you're planning on pursuing some real hojo undo; take it very slowly and very steadily. It's merciless if you don't take it seriously and with respect.

As for the jar holding, it's actually possible to start with anything that you can get the correct grip around. It's ideal if you cna get some made, but the spirit of hojo undo was making things work and adapting things to suit your training needs.

Good luck in training. :)

6. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

For jar holding, I just use 3kg dumbells held end-on. For my hand size they work well.

I'll second the recommendation for Mike Clarke's Hojo Undo book.

Some other really good diy tools you can make are a makiage (forearm trainer), and chi-ishi are easily constructed from a bit of hardwood dowel, a small weight-plate (don't start off too big, otherwise you will break your structure to compensate) and some pipe clamps. Cinder blocks, large pavers or 10kg weight plates are good to use for grip training too, by holding, flip-throwing and re-grabbing them.

Remember, the hojo-undo is about training correct body-structure, rather than 'just' conditioning. It should all be done with that in mind.