So how's everyone doing?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dylan9d, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this but I'm just curious how everyone is doing here?

To start off myself.

My school is growing, still teaching and learning.
    Started picking up Pekiti Tirsia which is so simple and basic, I'm loving it.

My kids are growing fast, the youngest is 2 already, the oldest is almost 9 and still going strong with Kickboxing (2 years now)

I hope you all are doing well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Thomas, Nachi, hewho and 1 other person like this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What a nice topic for a thread.

Personally I feel as though my life is whizzing by, I struggle to find time to fit everything in and consequently feel like I'm failing to be good at anything. Never have enough time to give to my kids, my wife or myself. I'm putting on weight and getting stiffer and less fit every day. Aren't I Mr Happy? :)

Dylan9d likes this.
  3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, what Smitfire said. :eek::oops::(

Except that I am getting better at both aikido and boxing. I noticed that recently. :D

Dylan9d likes this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

2 kids here also, my eldest is 9 and also Kickboxing for just under 2 years. The youngest is 4 and is keen the join in, but it's not time yet for him.

I also go through waves, some weeks I still feel young and energetic, others I feel the pain and stiffness, but still making some progress on the 1 lesson a week :D

Dylan9d likes this.
  5. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Nice thread! :)

I am working on my karate and trying to improve my fitness via CrossFit (successfully in at least some ways I'd say). :) I really enjoy exercising these days, although I am not sure if I am progressing in my karate these days.

I am quite busy by all of this and have a lot of things to work on, so I would really enjoy having more space to fit more free time or actually any time in :) Like this I have to keep posponing my personal project - to try to write and draw my own fantasy-martial art comic :D One day, though!

axelb and Dylan9d like this.
  6. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Oswald the tortoise woke up from his winter nap on the weekend. This marks the official start of spring. The sap is once more beginning to stir.

Dylan9d likes this.
  7. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Loving your work sir!

Life is G-G-G-Great...

After making the decision to 'semi-retire' in 09', my life (at almost 43) is now made up pretty much entirely of family time and training (Karate and fitness)

The family portion of my pastimes being made up of my long suffering wife (19 years this Tuesday) and my 2 beautiful daughters (7 & 2 years old) - The eldest has been training under me (and my instructor) for coming up on 4 years now, but the youngest, whilst absolutely itching to get started, (understandably) has still got a little while to go.

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Lucky you for even having winter! We went from summer into autumn into spring. In January, the high temperature was below 70F only six days. For the last 11 days the high temperature has been 78-81F.
    I'm all for spring weather, except that -- it's just not right when there's no winter! It's just not right! :confused:

How you achieve semi-retirement so young?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

+1. Mostly training and family time sounds ace!

10. Travess

Wish I could say that it was due to hardwork, focus and keen foresight, but unfortunately it came about from the inheritances from the passing of a couple of great men, (my grandfather, then years later my father-in-law) so it had its price.

Still, they were both great dads, granddads and friends, and thanks to them, I now have the time to try to be better in those departments too...

Travess

axelb, Smitfire and Pretty In Pink like this.
  11. Travess

If I'm honest, if it wasn't for my change in circumstances, I doubt I'd be training at all - I was only able to return to training, following an 18 year hiatus, thanks to cutting back my hours. (and my wife cutting back hers)

Travess

axelb likes this.
  12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I've been training regularly in a Tang Soo Do offshoot for the past nine months and having a blast. It's good to get back to regular TMA training, especially at a school with this much pad work and free sparring. And I'm finding that my background in Shotokan and TKD is helping me pick it up pretty quick, even though it isn't identical to either. You can tell they have common roots.

My kids have been here for over a year now too and are doing well. My wife isn't interested in the TMA scene, but just started with the school's Krav Maga program and really enjoys that. So our family is all in at the moment.

Smitfire likes this.
  13. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Finally landed a steady job last September - teaching English in an elementary school and kindergarten - after a few years of just barely scraping by giving private lessons; nothing too crazy, money-wise, but I'm glad to have a steady paycheck and frankly just love what I do.

Training was more or less put on hiatus as I was getting settled into my new routine, but I've been getting back into it since the second half of December.

The only downside is that my car became the casualty of the first half-decent winter my country has seen in a couple of years. But on balance life's going pretty well.

Frodocious likes this.
  14. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I think this is a great topic, and I have enjoyed the responses here.

December of last year I stopped the Muay Thai I had been doing for 4 years, and Jan this year started going to a Kung Fu school. I had attended this school years ago, but mainly went to kickboxing/sparring and conditioning type classes, and avoided forms. Now a goal of mine is to focus on learning forms, and I am enjoying being a Kung fu beginner there.

In parallel with the above I also have been doing Karate for a few years in a very small parks/rec group 2 X a week, and I am still keeping up with that. I really think the Kung Fu will help my Karate.

15. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

I agree with those who've said this is a good discussion. I do kung fu and tai chi classes and weight training. I went through a phase of thinking I was too old - at least for kung fu, but I got over it. I'm aiming to do tests in both this year. Weight training has been a real revelation. I started about 6 months or so ago and have been sticking with it. Low weights and lots of reps and for the effort I put in, I feel much sturdier. I've been doing a bit more weapons training recently which I have been enjoying and want to do more of.

My partner cycles and my older son does a class a week because I make him - he is 15 and doesn't do exercise outside school otherwise. My younger son is the opposite and is enthusiastic so does the full 3 hours on a Friday and trains in parkour as well.

Mitlov likes this.
  16. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

@Guitar Nado , the same, I'm love reading all the responses here and thank you for having this normal conversation with eachother :)

Please do continue.

For me it's time to to train now :D

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Wow, seriously, not a single one with a "life sucks"like answer?
    I'm doing something seriously wrong :oops::eek:o_O

18. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I'm sorry to hear that. What is going so bad for you? It at least isn't training, is it? :)

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I wouldnt say "life sucks" its a broad term. I would say "Im not progressing as much due to time constraints" but didnt wanna bring the thread down ;)

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I played down how much life is getting to me to be honest. I thought about doing a "life sucks" post but tried to be a little bit positive as this thread is a positive one and I didn't want to bring it down. :(