So how many folks here 'steal' stuff?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by IronMaiden1991, Mar 25, 2020.

1. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

What I mean is, how often do you look at other styles and incorporate stuff you like into your personal practice?

I have a background in taekwondo from when I was a child, and I currently mostly train Goju Ryu. My longest training stint was in the Bujinkan through my teens into early 20's. I still remember most of the fundamental focus our club had (Kihon Happo and Five Elements) and I occassionally sneak things like Boshiken into my practice work. I also rather like John Chung's Taekwondo DVD's from Panther Productions, and theres some finer points on kicking and kicking combos that, given the karate-taekwondo link, I can bring into my karate rather seamlessly.

Back when I was doing Judo, I attended seminars on Sambo with Vadim Kalganov, and some of the throw set ups and leg locks I remember to keep fresh in my personal practice.

I think one or two techniques here or there stick with me from this, but I dont think its possible to truly learn a style like this, just borrow elements and bring ideas in.

Grond likes this.
  2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

If it works and fits within your styles framework it’s open game.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You'll hear a lot of people saying "I view a x technique through the lens of y martial art" and I roll my eyes a lot.

Also thought this was going to be about torrents :p

Mushroom and IronMaiden1991 like this.
  4. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I've only taken part in two martial arts so far (all hopes for a third were cancelled by coronavirus), so my perspective is limited. But I'd have to say I definitely built on top of Karate when I transitioned to boxing (which technically contains a lot less material) as opposed to replace it, because you can't unlearn Karate, you can only improve on it in the traditional Okinawan sense of the term, as far as I understand it. Boxing turned out to be a great place to practice many Karate concepts, even if the training was greatly different the mindset and raw materials were practically the same. You work on conditioning, footwork, agility, getting hit a lot, looking for openings during sparring, but above all remembering you are there to learn, not to "win" (another thing I learned from this guy.

[​IMG]

barongan likes this.
  5. IronMaiden1991

PirateBay, MA edition

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Had a JKD teacher steal a kick from Xingyiquan from me after I showed it to him....he stole by saying..."I'm going to steal that"

axelb likes this.
  7. IronMaiden1991

Also wouldn't it just be better to look at the technique through that style's lens, or just realize these are all human movements?

axelb likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Not always. A specific example might be MMA (because of course) where you like what a thai kick does and how it works, but it has to be seen in the context of MMA because that's where I'd use it.

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

This might be splitting hairs, but if you haven't trained sufficiently in an art how can you view anything through its lens?

It might all be human movements, but the context in which you train does change your perspective on technique and how it is applied.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

In KF "taou xi" is a serious no-no.

Is just is.

11. MMAWARRIOR20

MMAWARRIOR20 Valued Member

I did tkd for 3 years and wushu for 2. I still do the leg swings/flowery crescent kicks for conditioning and flexibility. Idk if that’s related to the question

12. IronMaiden1991

You're bringing stuff you've practiced outside of your main style into your personal training, so that counts. :)

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I definitely do this, and have brought in techniques to my modern Jiu Jitsu art from Judo, other Jiu Jitsu styles, Eskrima, HEMA, and a few other places. This is fine because while my art has a syllabus, the style is determined by core principles rather than techniques. As such, as long as techniques are adopted into our framework and done in accordance with our underlying principles, it's part of the art.

It's a little different if you are looking to recreate or preserve historic arts. If that is the main goal, then bringing in outside techniques or principles wouldn't make much sense. As an example, if you're studying HEMA but think that the flick attack from modern foil fencing is great, you could try to incorporate it into sabre or longsword training but it wouldn't make much sense given the rigidity of the weapons, the lack of priority in real fighting and the risk of counter-cuts or afterblows. This is down to the historic context of the art being preserved.

David Harrison likes this.
  14. IronMaiden1991

see I like HEMA as it is, but I dont have much hands on with it other than some sabre, great sword and axe work. I like to read old manuals on it though.

15. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's great fun, yes :)

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

People should stop getting hung up on the thought of a technique being stolen from another martial art.

Let go of the ego. That's not what martial arts is about.

At the end of the day if it's effective, then use it.

IronMaiden1991, axelb, Morik and 2 others like this.
  17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

18. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Honesty I don't look at any of it as stealing. I trained a lot of Xingyiquan, my first brief encounter with JKD showed me things that apply directly to Xingyiquan, just the stance it different. Things that you read about from old Chinese guys, but you never see today It also gave me my own idea f what Bruce Lee's "Classical Mess" meant. Of course my inclusion ot these "JKD" training ideas in XIngyiquan did not go over well with the few Xingyiquan folks I knew, and I am pretty sure got me thrown off the christmas party invitation list, but the inclusion was not so mcu something new, just something forgotten.

There are only so many ways to kick, punch, lock, through or wrestle someone..... if you learn it, even from another style, if it works for you, it is yours, there is not copyright on it

19. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I too don’t consider it stealing, and I reckon everyone who’s studied more than one style will have a some degree of stealing.

What I find harder is the “Xue Sheng Chrismas list problem”: techniques from previous training that aren’t the way it’s done in your current club.

20. IronMaiden1991

that's why I put the ' ' around it. And oh god tell me about it. I've met too many people who do this. One of the seniors at karate could never get out of his head that in Goju Ryu we dont often kick as high or do as many multi-kick combinations.