So, here's my story.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Trick Nasty, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

I'm 3 weeks into the Bill Starr 5x5 Program.

I've seen gains. It's cool. :)

Lately, though, I'm not so sore after workouts. Like.. The first few times I did squats I could feel it in every step I took afterwards. Now I don't feel the effects of lifting so much. Is this just from getting used to weights again? I'll still make gains, right?

I know the Bill Starr article says things about not working to failure and such, but I'm just checking.

Thanks, homies.

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Yep, the initial aching is just your body getting used to the idea of exercising. Aching isn't a sign of progress. So long as you're gradually putting more weight on the bar as time passes then you're making progress. :)

3. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Yeah it's just your body adapting to the stress better, totally normal!

You should only worry when your lifting starts to plateau, which usually means time to change the training stimulus

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I wish every newbie who starts a bodypart split program could share the sentiment!

Ditto what everyone else says, DOMS=/=Progress. If your making gains and your diet fits your goals then everything is well :)

5. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

Whats that? =]

And that. =]

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

:google:

DOMS stands for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's the flashy name for the soreness you're describing. ;)

7. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

If you lift on day 1, DOMS hurts you on day 3. It's the kind of thing where you think, "Man- this didn't hurt yesterday- what's the deal?!"

8. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

The volume doesn't really start to catch up to you until weeks 5-7 when you start hitting a new PR each week in each lift hopefully. You wont feel sore, but you may start feeling more tired. Enjoy your recovery time and use it wisely.

9. heim

heim Valued Member

Soreness is just what your body goes through initially as previously stated, don't rely on it to know you've gotten a good work out, it stops occurring soon enough. Good luck on your program.