Snapping hip syndrome

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by yannick35, Jan 10, 2008.

1. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Any body has this issue when kicking.

Each time i kick from the right leg i have a snapping either from the ligament or the ligament and when i kick from the left leg i am ok no snapping.

I have back pain upper and lower being worked in by a chiro.

I have rested the hip and didnt kick for around 2 months, took it easy.

Last night i was quit mad when i tried again kicking again from the right leg and eard snapping.

I check in wikipedia and there is some good info on this, says that it might just go away by itself or rest is a treatment?

2. donb

donb restless spirit

depends on how old you are (older you are the harder to deal with and danger of AVN injury later in life)...not to scare you but your joint may be slipping out of socket due to ligaments being loose or lax from abuse.....you do need to rest it and do some exercises that tightens your muscles in that area to keep it in place....if there's not pain then it can still be fixed

3. donb

donb restless spirit

need to do slow stretches before kicking, start low gradually kicking higher;

4. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

THank you very much, i am 35 years old been off for 7 years with back pain.

Condition develop along they way. I talked to my chiro about it. Said to rest it for a while and give it time to healh that is what i did for two months but has soon has i started kicking again the snapping came back.

I am seeing another chiro right now, maybe when my back problems are fixed this snapping issue will reslove by itself.

I will streach it, right now i do some boxing on a wavemaster punching bag, stationnary bike and stairmaster.

I am ok doing theses but has soon has i kick i ear the snapping noise.

5. donb

donb restless spirit

You should still be okay at your age since you have remained active. For some reason, when we get older, the elasticity of our soft tissue goes away as our system gets depleted from water. So when we kick, the volition of the leg is faster than what our body can respond which results to the slipping of the joint or snapping sound (bone to bone grinding) for lack of lubrication. There are some supplements to help cartilages/joints get stronger but nothing beats slow stretches and good warm-up initially before pushing your joints. Muscle memory would still be there that will allow you to go back to previous level. Chiros probably will not be able to tell you much about it other than feeling the joint itself since x-rays will not show you soft tissue damage or ligamental laxity. It is hard to balance the strength or tightness of muscles around our joints especially when we get older and it is a constant adjustment. If it starts to bother, you may have to adjust or adapt. As to the snapping sound, i was just curious if it is during hitting something hard or kicking in the air? and what type of kick or is it all kicks? (roundhouse kicks in the air usually triggers a traction form of injury)

6. donb

donb restless spirit

sorry, didn't notice this part earlier, the snapping issue sometime doesn't have to be from the hip but from the lower back close to your pelvis...if this is the case, then it is a lot easier to deal with and will have a different approach

7. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Kicking, if i do a front kick it doesnt snap, if i do a fast kick it doesnt snap, if i do a slow kick like a wheel kick or side kick then it will snap.

I have a complete set of x rays coming up at least i can see the bone of the hip to see if its ok.

From my last x rays my spin is fine and everything is ok.

Thanks for the great info

8. donb

donb restless spirit

As i said before, stretching and warm-ups, sounds like you're ok. You may want to try sitting down, (one leg straight, other leg bent and across the knee) and do SLOW trunk twisting to stretch both hips and back muscles by turning your body to look behind you while pushing your knee to the opposite direction. If you feel you hips pop/snap in doing this, stop, then you know it is just your hip bone gliding, then, you just have to build more muscular tone in the area.

9. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Thank you very much i just did the test yup it did a big snap. I will try again later to see cause i was sitting for a while.

I am going to see an osteopath next week i can talk to him about this.

I know that the stretch the body a lot more then the chiro, and work the ligaments pertty good has well.

10. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

that's the best advice anyone can give. that and some good ol' physio.

11. donb

donb restless spirit

good idea and good luck!!!!(let me know what he says)

12. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

I am doing both right now, chiro is very good has well for posture and fixing the upper back pain

13. donb

donb restless spirit

this is what i do for a living....22 years and counting

14. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

The osteopath is also a physio and apparently a very good one too.

He never cracks but streches a lot, one thing that the chiro doesnt do.

My current chiro is great too, he was able to get a vertebra in my midback that the other one i used to go see was not able to adjust.

Is technic is far better.

Its quit sad that there is a war going on with chiro and the other techics namely physio and osteo.

I really think that all techics are good if properly applied. Has far has the snapping hip i would thrust a physio osteo a lot more then the chiro, the chiro adjustments where good for back issue but hip did nothing at all.

15. donb

donb restless spirit

I agree with you on both counts....i had a boss that was an osteo and he cracks and does all kinds of manipulation...learned so much from him..and he is open to eastern medicine as well......i think, the lack of knowledge between the other and the narrowmindedness is what's limiting both fields.

16. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

i've got a hip that likes to do the whole clickety thing... what i've found works best is to change my stance. it pops the most in deep front stances, and doesn't pop at all if i stand up like a normal person.

which is to say... experiment with different ranges of motion, and you might find one that obviates the problem.

17. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

I want to get this fixed along with the back pain cause its silly, 7 years going for back pain.

18. maestro_may

maestro_may Valued Member

Sorry to kinda hi-jack your thread... just wanted to let you know your not the only one with this..

I tend to get this alot, lifting my leg up for example when getting on a horse, getting into bed, standing up from sitting. Its really weird, but hope it goes away for you... by the way do you have problems with your knees?

19. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

No problems with the knees so far, my main issues are subluxations in the upper and lower back.

Does this snapping prevent you from doing martial arts or you can live with it?

20. Axelton

Axelton Valued Member

I suggest all of you with these problmes, ranging from lower back to lower leg pain, do IT band stretching. Google it and you will find a picture of how to stretch this.