Smooth criminal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by maressa, Jan 17, 2015.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I think the real issue here is that I am not a fan of MJ, and you seem to have taken offense to this.

Yes MJ has talent never said he didn't. Maybe he was the best there ever was. In my opinion he was not. Had Dianna Ross not taken a liking to the Jackson 5 I believe we would not be having this conversation, because aaf would not have done the cover.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Lol at people so offended that some of us have a differing musical taste. Really, are people so eager to argue on a forum?

Music is personal preference. If one likes hard/ rock heavy metal over pop- it stands to reason that we like the cover and not the original. If one is a fan of pop music, then they will like MJ original better.

Chill people - music isn't a factual thing - it is a personal preference thing. There is no right or wrong factual answer here.

3. aaradia

Oh, covers better than the original-

Pat Benatar has done several covers that I like better than the original. Her version of Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights" is incredible. I am trying to think of another cover she did that I liked better than the original. Ah - more coffee.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

This is the best cover of Wuthering Heights - fact!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VLfFYjAJc"]China Drum - Wuthering Heights - YouTube[/ame]

5. aaradia

Hey that is pretty good Moosey. But that song is all about showing off vocals, which that version doesn't have nearly on scale as Benatar. Pat Benatar has an opera trained voice, so I'll still take her version over that one. Both better than the original though. But I don't like Kate Bush, which has really offended some friends of mine.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnDijNVpngA"]Pat Benatar - Wuthering Heights - YouTube[/ame]

BTW, I have seen her live many times. She has a real voice, not one autotuned or adjusted in the studio. Just incredible singing every time!

6. FoxyKirby

FoxyKirby Valued Member

It's not a matter of offense, it's a matter of truth. I'm not offended, I'm merely correcting you where you're wrong. I do not care whether or not you're a fan, but you've attempted to discredit him in the process of you explaining your poor understanding of the music industry (hence why you haven't countered a single point I've made). Speculation also isn't evidence to what "may or may not have happened" had X been Y, so I fail to see how correction = "offense".

Also that's a nice non sequitur in your last sentence.

Perhaps you missed the part where I stated some covers are better. To state they are in general, is equally irrational as the antithesis.

7. aaradia

You really need to chill. I was just saying- "oh on the subject of covers better than the original"..........not that all covers were better than the original. Sheesh.

You are looking for ways to argue over a silly music thread. So much so you are making up what people say and getting upset. :rolleyes:

8. FoxyKirby

FoxyKirby Valued Member

I'm "chill", so much you might say I'm "Free". Humans have an innate tendency to misinterpret text on an emotional level.

If that's what you're saying, great, then I misread it, I can admit that, but your assessment of the situation is typical; and that's far from a good thing. (I would attribute my error to the fact randomly stating 'covers better than the originals' is completely off topic.) You should take a lesson in kirbonics, it'd help you reach kirvana.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Quentin,

Please review MAP's terms of service (which you agreed to when you joined). Specifically the sections on masked profanity and textspeak.

Thanks.

10. Moosey

Wuthering Heights (the Kate Bush one) is one of those songs that I'm genuinely not sure whether I like it ironically, or I just plain like it. It is absurd and silly and weird... but strangely compelling.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

China Drum! That was a blast from the past. Saw them a few times back in the day...probably with Leatherface, Snuff / Guns 'n'...all that lot.

Great cover though.

12. Moosey

I don't like the Pat Benatar version as much as Kate Bush's simply because Benatar sings it easily whereas Bush sounds utterly deranged, which suits the song, I think.